Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v M'Boro Thread

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's okay. He dislikes my posts too, then completely ignores my follow-up comments.

I don't really know what you want me to say, Luke/ [MENTION=12020]Keeping The Dream Alive.[/MENTION] I find the football tedious and I think our performances have gone backwards.

As I've said before, I'm clearly in the minority. Most people are chuffed with the football were playing so I think I'll sit on my hands for a bit. All I will say is we were promised direct attacking football, and I think I've seen that possibly two or three times all season.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I don't buy that bull for one minute. You shouldn't have to fire a team up knowing a win will put you in poll position. If the players can't do that themselves then they have to ask what they are doing in the game.

No, its not bull. It is in the way a management tem set a team up to start a game, its in the message to the players, about how positive they want the players to be, how to balance attacking and defensive duties. Its not just about screaming and shouting to wind the players up, we just start games far too negatively and that is in the coaching.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sorry, but we have also had to endure some of the most tedious performances, in particular at home, since the Mike Bailey days in the early 80's. My problem is that I don't see an effective style under Oscar. Poyet had some bad games with the Albion, Watford and Bristol City away immediately come to mind, but with Oscar those types of performances seem routine - and they are happening at home. The Blackpool game summed it up. Virtually a fully fit squad to pick from, no passion, no desire, 3 attempts on goal in the whole game and no clue how to break down one of the worst (if not the worst) defences in the division.
He inherited a squad capable of getting to the playoffs but we have not played to our strengths and bar a few performances, have been very poor to watch. Yes, he has had issues this year with injuries and our transfer policy, but that does not excuse some of the awful football we have had to watch this season.

Yesterday was disappointing. I think the poor refereeing performance meant Blackpool had a chance to spoil the game and it worked. We don't have a god given right to win every game, which a lot of our fans are in danger of thinking.

As for this season, it's really obvious. We've had most of our defenders available for most of the season. We have the second best defensive record. Shockingly, we've struggled going forward. That is because we've never been able to play a fully fit front four. No Hoskins all season, barely seen Orlandi and CMS, Ulloa had a long spell out, Buckley has rarely played two straight games. It seems really clear why we've struggled for goals if you don't have an agenda.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
:lolol: Our fans have to be some of the shittest around. Poor us not beating Blackpool who are fighting for their lives, we do NOT have a divine right to beat them and the PLAYERS didn't get the job done, it's all the managers fault lets sack him and be done with it :thumbsup:

7th in the championship still in with a shot after the inconsistent injury plagued season we've had, I am distraught :cry:

Absolutely agree some of the MOANING on here has been pathetic. Some people showing the same sense of entitlement that is normally reserved for the long suffering fans of the top six in the premier league. Quite frankly I'm embarrassed by it all to be honest. Whatever the result of the Reading game tonight a win friday gives us something to play for at Forest and I'll be cheering the team on to get it. Whether we do it or not, who really cares, this is football and this division is a *******. I'll take what we get and move on to next season.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I don't really know what you want me to say, Luke/ [MENTION=12020]Keeping The Dream Alive.[/MENTION] I find the football tedious and I think our performances have gone backwards.

As I've said before, I'm clearly in the minority. Most people are chuffed with the football were playing so I think I'll sit on my hands for a bit. All I will say is we were promised direct attacking football, and I think I've seen that possibly two or three times all season.

I agree I'm really bored with the football, but if you mention that people claim you want hoof ball

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

I find it boring as well. But get some prospective. Three years ago we were at the Withdean. Now we have an outside chance of the PL. And that's despite all of the issues we've had this season. I feel the tactics have been negative, but has Oscar had a choice?? Our squad's strengths are our defence, so it makes sense to play to that.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yeovil need a 13 goal swing over two games to overtake Birmingham in 21st......They are as good as down.

True but they, to me at least, look like a side that will go down fighting.

We also tend to start games slowly (awaits angry comments) and I think a team that's going to get in amongst us and slow things down will be difficult. We're good, but we're not good enough to beat teams that play that way. That's been our biggest frailty this season.

Put us against a good team, that are happy to let us have a bit of the ball, and we'll do much better.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

When the opposition is set up to attack, we generally play really good stuff (e.g: Leicester (H & A), Wigan (H), QPR (H))….when they are set up to defend deep, time-waste, and generally suffocate us, then it's not pretty. Unfortunately we don't have the midfield nous to combat that. Last season we had Vicente (at times), Orlandi, and an on-form Lopez. These season they have all been lacking, for one reason or another. Not Oscar's fault.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I don't think you are alone. I'm not whinging about being 6th or 7th - I think that's ok - but about the way we go about it. It is boring and I don't look forward to watching the Albion like I used to. I have renewed my season ticket but another season of this and I will have to re-think. Oh and 47th year of watching Brighton so no JCL. I don't know if it's all OG's fault but it's dull whichever you cut it. Budget, injuries, whatever.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
When the opposition is set up to attack, we generally play really good stuff (e.g: Leicester (H & A), Wigan (H), QPR (H))….when they are set up to defend deep, time-waste, and generally suffocate us, then it's not pretty. Unfortunately we don't have the midfield nous to combat that. Last season we had Vicente (at times), Orlandi, and an on-form Lopez. These season they have all been lacking, for one reason or another. Not Oscar's fault.

Yeovil will come here to attack and go down fighting and Forest will obviously attack as they* will be in for a play-off spot.

Crofts is also a huge loss for us, we would be in the play offs now if we hadnt lost him.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Is it the players that decide the formation and who plays in what position?

so manager. what would you have done different on Monday, spread your wisdom sir as I am really struggling to see how Mondays result has anything to do with Position of players and formation. However you dress it up that it was Oscars at fault, the players did not perform like they should of done and thats basically the end of it. if they had won 4-0 would you have said the same. Let me answer that for you keyboard warrior...NO.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Has it occurred to you that Oscar came in quite late in pre season, has lost a lot of attacking players to injury and has been limited in who he can bring in by finances. Is it just possible that given a full pre season and the Bridcutt money to sign new players, we might do okay? Or should we just get rid of him and have another summer of uncertainty thus putting us back a year?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
so manager. what would you have done different on Monday, spread your wisdom sir as I am really struggling to see how Mondays result has anything to do with Position of players and formation. However you dress it up that it was Oscars at fault, the players did not perform like they should of done and thats basically the end of it. if they had won 4-0 would you have said the same. Let me answer that for you keyboard warrior...NO.
I'd have picked OG's exact same team. The only difference is that Calderon would have been my first sub, I'd have wanted him driving the team on.

I hope Lualua is used as an impact sub against Yeovil, his introduction often makes things happen.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
True but they, to me at least, look like a side that will go down fighting.

We also tend to start games slowly (awaits angry comments) and I think a team that's going to get in amongst us and slow things down will be difficult. We're good, but we're not good enough to beat teams that play that way. That's been our biggest frailty this season.

Put us against a good team, that are happy to let us have a bit of the ball, and we'll do much better.

Let's be blunt about this, it doesn't matter who we play. Some people are going to say, if they are bottom 6 they are fighting for their lives. If the are mid table, they can play without fear and to impress the manager, if they are going for the play offs they are a good side blar blar blar.....At the end of the day it's all about us, not the opposition or the ref or because someone had a steak pie instead of a chicken one. We play well against better oposition and poorly against weaker sides...That's mentality, nothing else and that comes from the dressing room. Under estimate your opponent at your peril,,,the long and short of it is we have screwed up badly....We can beat Burnley, Q.P.R and do the double over the Champions but we can't put away Blackpool, Barnsley and Millwall.....That's nothing to do with injuries or pre season, that a lack of focus and taking things for granted. Very unprofessional.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU

Now you're being deliberately obtuse as well as petty, what is the need?

You know you're not in a minority as this place has shown the last few days. Plenty think Oscar isn't up to it.

Most people are not 'chuffed with the football we're playing'. I'd say they're satisfied with the way the season's gone given the circumstances, but are probably a tad disappointed with some of the football we've seen. There is an in between from thinking Oscar is out of his depth and thinking he's done a fantastic job. It grates when someone like you constantly perpetuates their opinion in a sindey manner, whichever side of the coin they are.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Yesterday was disappointing. I think the poor refereeing performance meant Blackpool had a chance to spoil the game and it worked. We don't have a god given right to win every game, which a lot of our fans are in danger of thinking.

As for this season, it's really obvious. We've had most of our defenders available for most of the season. We have the second best defensive record. Shockingly, we've struggled going forward. That is because we've never been able to play a fully fit front four. No Hoskins all season, barely seen Orlandi and CMS, Ulloa had a long spell out, Buckley has rarely played two straight games. It seems really clear why we've struggled for goals if you don't have an agenda.

Nice you think you know me well enough to know what an agenda I have :lolol:. I have no agenda, I am just very disappointed with our style of play this season. Yesterday was disappointing, we can agree on that , but weren't the games against Millwall, Sheff W, Watford, Barnsley, Hudderfield, Watford, Ipswich or Boro just as bad??? Even some of the 1 0 wins were dreadful to watch. And I really do believe that when we play with 2 defensive midfielders as we have done most of the season, causing us to have to play a more defensive style of football, of course our defensive stats are going to look good. It is virtually irrelevant if we are not winning games, especially against poor teams.

I hope OG has learnt from this season, I hope he has seen how positively the teams at the top of the table have set their sides up. He deserves a chance to build his own side and have a full pre-season to prepare for next year. But if this dross is served up again in the early part of next season I don't think he'll survive long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here