Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would it be fair to blame Oscar for that lacklustre performance?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
however I felt he got the tactics wrong today. We should have freshened up the starting 11 and gone at them from the off. Instead we let them settle and play their way into the game,

Had Oscar changed the team and we failed to win then people would be on here tonight complaining about why he changed a team that has been on an unbeaten run, Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Fourth last year was over-achieving.

Not making the play-offs this year would be under-achieving.

When a team under achieves, the buck stops with the manager.

I think 4th last year was bang on target, 6th this year would be over-achieving.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
In the week in which Vincente retired it was someone just like him who we needed today. Someone who could unlock a defence with a pass that no one else could see. But I guess that sort of player comes with a £10m price tag and doesn't want to play in the championship.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Last year for this team,I for one think he has done a good job with some very average players, let's hope he can build he's own team next year, then we can judge him.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Had Oscar changed the team and we failed to win then people would be on here tonight complaining about why he changed a team that has been on an unbeaten run, Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I wouldn't. I said before the game I felt we needed to freshen the team up and I personally think I was proved correct. LuaLua caused them a bit of trouble but barely did anything of note in the 2nd half and March was awful. Looked a couple of very tired players out there by the end.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
If Oscar sent that team out to attack from the off I would have expected him to have gone totally and uncharacteristicly apeshit mental from the touch line after about 10 mins. You'd have to be in a coma not to have realised that there was no intensity in our play. Hence the reason that I blame Oscar for the way we played. The players needed a bollocking from the touch line, all they got was a few head shakes. I was seriously disappointed in him today, especially as I have been so pro all season :shrug:

Yes but he did get his hands out of his pockets a couple of times to point, and the pointing was very pointy. The players should be able to motivate themselves but he certainly doesn't give them the kick up the arse they have needed all season.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
In answer to the OP's question, I'm not sure but it was telling to watch the highlights of last season's game against the same opposition at the same stage of the season before the match. The pure skill, flair and brilliance of the football we played that day simply outclassed Blackpool. We have more or less the same squad, yet our performances don't reach anywhere near the same heights. Why is that?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I believe it's 7 points from 18 in games v teams in the bottom three when we play them. Doesn't bode well for Friday.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agree with this....When was the last time you saw an Albion player, rallying the troops and throwing out a few bollockings on the pitch when things aren't going right. The closest thing we got to a player like that is Andrew Crofts.

Calderón but apparently he's not good enough.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Nope, it's the players. The team is one that most people have been/would have been happy with before the game. I'm quite sure OG didn't say to his players "start lacklustre and we'll give it a go second half".

According to The Argue/Andy Naylor the message to the players was to stay 'grounded'? Sorry, but at this stage of the season I do not want grounded players, I want players who are champing at the bit, fighting for their careers, giving their all in a hail of blood, sweat and tears.

Guess who I blame......

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Only one team looked up for it from the start and it wasn't us, unfortunately as most of the squad won't be here next season the fans want the playoffs more than the majority of players.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
At the end of the day Oscar isn't on the pitch, the players know if they play well there's a chance they'll be in the top flight. But like a lot of other teams the players start to bottle it when it gets to this stage of the season.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Garcia has shown no motivational skills and he is responsible for the performance. Every team has off days but we have played the same way at home for most of the season! It is not the players, they could perform a lot better with the right guidance. If the performances are the players fault not Garcia's why bother having a head coach as he has no influence on the team?? Personally I don't mind not getting to the play offs if, as I suspect we fall short but I would like to see a little attacking play at the Amex. Garcia has had a season and the style of football is atrocious, we are near the play offs not because of Garcia and Jones but despite them. Given direction this squad would have booked a play off spot already.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Be careful what you wish for. We remain handily placed. Oscar has done well. If he moves on I would not expect his replacement to get us this high in the Championship. We drew today, we did not lose.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If players on the cusp of the play offs, playing against a team in free fall with a bad away record, in front of their home crowd, with the best attendance in the league, can not get themselves up for a fighting performance, then it's a poor show.
We are not very good at home, not enjoyable at all.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Disagree completely, we have sold/got rid of some of our best players and they haven't been replaced. Crofts injury was a devastating blow too.
Like who. People keep harping on about Crofts, but we got Dale Stephens, who I think Crofts would have an almighty job is he was fit to get picked in front off right now. Don't forget Crofts hardly played for us last season, and spent a lot of time on the bench.
Who else is there?

Bridge - Replaced with Ward. Whilst Ward is no quite up to last seasons Bridge, he's certainly the better of the two this season

Bridcutt, replaced with Andrews, who IMO is underrated and overly used as a scapegoat. But I would coincide Bridcutt was the better of the two, but not by as much as some would have to beleive.

Who else is there? And please dont say El-Abd or Barnes!!!

We've brought in Kemy Agustien, who for whatever reason they manager will not select in any circumstances.

Rohan Ince and Solly March have appeared from now where (credit to Oscar for that at least).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here