Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS Must Start Against Yeovil

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Because by diving in he made the referee make a decision.

Encouragement from the sideline is irrelevant.

In terms of a RB scoring of course it is a bonus, they are not exactly prolific, so Calderon chipping is valuable, however his primary duty is to defend.

What is the problem with diving in and winning the ball? It was good defending. It was not Calderon's fault that the referee made a bad decision.

How is encouragement from the sides irrelevant? It shows he is going to lead the other players and really cares about how the team are performing.

And any player scoring is not a bonus. It may not be a RBs primary job but it is still their job to create and score goals, after all, goals win games and that is what the fans pay to see. Calderon has scored a goal for every 8.5 league starts this season which is pretty good and better than some of our more attacking players.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Most teams try to get a number of players who are capable of scoring goals on the pitch together. I really can't understand why our tactic seems to be to select one goalscorer and surround him with a number of individuals who have shown themselves to be incapable of contributing anything in this department. If you ignore Ulloa, we consistently put out teams with barely a goal between them all season. Just look around the eleven that started today.

LuaLua - no goals.
Andrews - one goal.
March - no goals.
Lingard - two goals.
Stephens - no goals until today.
And then you have Buckley who hasn't scored against anyone but Bolton, Lopez who has a couple and Rodriguez who has one.

So on that basis, I want to see CMS in the team as soon as possible. Whatever people say about him, the fact is he had 11 goals in 30ish games last season before he got injured, and we would KILL for someone with anything like that record at the moment.
Your logic falls down slightly as Kaz Buckley Lopez Lingard Stephens all scored a fair few LAST SEASON. No different to CMS.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The decision to play Lua Lua surely depends on the opposition. They can either handle him (in which case he is completely ineffective) or they can't (in which case he's a match winner). There really doesn't seem any middle ground.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What is the problem with diving in and winning the ball? It was good defending. It was not Calderon's fault that the referee made a bad decision.

How is encouragement from the sides irrelevant? It shows he is going to lead the other players and really cares about how the team are performing.

And any player scoring is not a bonus. It may not be a RBs primary job but it is still their job to create and score goals, after all, goals win games and that is what the fans pay to see. Calderon has scored a goal for every 8.5 league starts this season which is pretty good and better than some of our more attacking players.

As per my post by diving in it makes the referee make a decision. We know the ref got it wrong, but why pout him in that position when the player was going nowehre. That was just an example of the difference between a good defender and one not as good. Caldy dives in more than Bruno and in bad positions.

The fans like to see the type of encouragment that Caldy offers from the sideline, it makes limited if any difference to a player on the pitch.

Scoring RBs, of course they are a bonus. Do you advocate Calderon marauding up pitch looking for a goal on every ocassion and not defending then? (Not that he does that by the way).....

The goals he gives us are a bonus and are effectively an unexpected source, thus a bonus.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Please elaborate on why Bruno is better. Is it his poor crossing, the fact he has scored so many less than Calderón, his inability to close down a player without fouling him , his link up play with Buckley is worse or finally he lacks the drive and passion that Calderón has in abundance?? Please tell.

Bruno was the one player who had drive & passion at Huddersfield, which is why his determination got us the equaliser. I like him & Calde.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bruno was poor yesterday (although clearly he wasn't alone in that), several misplaced crosses/passes, and more than once sold himself in the 'tackle'.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bruno was poor yesterday (although clearly he wasn't alone in that), several misplaced crosses/passes, and more than once sold himself in the 'tackle'.

You could apply that to all the back four, even Upson who I thought was our best player. Once Bruno sussed his player he gave him an extra yard and the player didn't go past him again.......

Dobbie rolled off Upson and Greer every time, it was just so irritating to watch.

Aug 4, 2011
I thought he looked decent when he came on. Spot on with the pace but needs the game time to improve with his flow and touches. Pleased to see him play though hopefully will get a bit longer next time if not start. If he scored that over head kick would of been a beautiful goal to come back into first team.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Sprinting forward only for the ball to hit the back of his head ... it was just like old times...
That was a real treat. CMS is another one of those players who is remembered for being better than he was and the longer he's injured the more he's valued. As that ball bounced off of him I afforded myself a little chuckle, that's what we all remember :lol:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
_______Kuszczak
Bruno Dunk Upson Ward
______Stephens
______Lopez JFC
Buckley________LuaLua
________Ulloa

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He was the only one who showed a bit of pace and passion today when he came on.
Lua Lua's one trick failed time after time and Lingard was like Bambi with a hernia. Was March on the pitch?

I'd play CMS, Lopez and Buckley(legs permitting) from the off on Friday. Maybe this is not the time for the young uns.

Pace, passion and **** all else. Rather like 80-90% of the other games he's played for us.

I actually thought he looked quite sprightly given the long lay off he's had but the first 18 months of his Albion career should tell you that CMS isn't the answer, especially if we are playing one up front.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Agree March looked totally lost in the middle, thought Kaz was our most dangerous player though funny how people see things in different ways. Rather than Cms I would have Hoskins but his face doesn't seem to fit at the moment
i thought lua lua has been poor in the last two last games as with solly march

Stumpy Tim

-------------PIG-------------
Bruno---Greer--Upson---Ward
------------Ince-------------
----------Stephens----------
Buckley----Lingard-------KLL
------------Ulloa------------

Ince has been one of our best three players this season, and should be starting every match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here