Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes,

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No they are not. They are remembering that he was a decent player who scored goals. Don't exaggerate to try and put across a dubious point of view.

I was remembering that he is the only person (bar Crofts) to play in an attacking role who looked decent for more than one game in a game in a row this season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let's hope Ashley Barnes saves our season by scoring the winner v Reading on the last day.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just two things....

He's scored three times in nine starts.

We only have three first team forwards, one of them is out until at least November (maybe longer) and we won't be throwing money around to get two or more new forwards. So Barnes will be in the squad next season.

Congratulations on your provenance for next year. Now you've had a bit more of an extended look at Barnes, what are your thoughts on him? You'll notice that there's a huge range of views that have been expressed here on NSC.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
I could have shot him sometimes with the missed sitters and some God awful penalties. But he was and still is a committed player with a huge work rate, sometimes he goes awol but most players are guilty of that, the gift he has is being in the position to either score or miss those sitters. Wish him well for the future.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
So there's still a chance of Barnes getting Albion player of the season?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Why not? He was here for over half of it.

He wans't that good though, was he?

Ward and Upson have been solid throught the season. Crofts looked the best during the first half, and Ulloa was got the gaols. If he played the games he missed, his record would be at least 18 in 40 by now... Why Barnes?? lol

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Ward and Upson have been solid throught the season. Crofts looked the best during the first half, and Ulloa was got the gaols. If he played the games he missed, his record would be at least 18 in 40 by now... Why Barnes?? lol

Just because we CAN. Particularly if he scores the winner v Reading on the last day. His commitment alone while he was here this season and while most of the rest of the team looked like they didn't give a shirt is worthy of a top three finish in Player of the Season anyways. IMHO, like.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

For me.
Ward and Upson have been our best players. Ince has looked good over the whole season as has Greer. After that until they left or were injured i'd say Crofts and Barnes have been our best players.
You can keep quoting his goals per games ratio (and claiming that scoring with 20% of your shots is bad) but he still played far better this season than most of the squad and certainly than any of the other strikers, wingers or attacking midfielders

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He got EXACTLY what he wanted - a pay rise. He wasn't worried where he got it from. Maybe he would have got more out of The Albion if he'd shown more desire to stay? He had known for a long time that Burnley wanted him so his efforts to stay were limited.

maybe if we had shown more desire to keep him (offer him some incentive to stay) rather than the same or less than he was already getting.
One thing you can never say about Barnes is his lack of desire to play.
we also knew that Burnley wanted him and some on here laughed at him leaving for Burnley truth is he will definitely be in the premiership.
WE ARE STILL FIGHTING TO BE THERE
and as some have already said he might still be able to aid us in our fight

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
He has played more games up front than you think. And the facts remain the same. He's scoring record is poor, you can't justify that with backward logic. His most politic period has actually been out wide (1:3), compared to his 1:5 playing up top. So that position isn't exactly alien to him!!

You're bloody clueless.

Barnes has everything we don't have.

Passion
Commitment
Hard working

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You're bloody clueless.

Passion
Commitment
Hard working

all the discussion about Ash
and you have nailed it in 13 words

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
You're bloody clueless.

Passion
Commitment
Hard working

Not once did I deny that lol. I'm just providing STATS as to why he's being overrated. When he was here, he divided opinions weekly. I was never in the hater camp BTW, I liked him as a player. I’m just offering a little prospective.

There was no chance of Barnes wanting to stay when Burnley came knocking, so the club did the right thing by accepting the money. The issue has been with his REPLACEMENTS, which is what I’ve always believed in. If Barnes stayed here, he would have been played out wide again, as Ulloa would play up top. So we’ve probably lost out on another five Ash goals; that could be the difference between 5th and 6th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here