Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes,

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
He HAS been played up front. Especially for Plymouth and Burnley (all games in fact), these also happen to be his LEAST prolific seasons. This season he has played as our lone striker for most of our games (when he was here), he has been poor. As proven by Ulloa who has scored 1 in 2, despite playing the same position. You can’t argue with the facts...

This season, he got 5 in 22 for Brighton. He averaged five chances a game, so that's a poor return!

For Burnley and Plymough, 39 games with a return of just 4 goals. Over half of these games have been from the bench, but I still think this is a poor return.

What a load of rubbish. He played upfront for us about 8 times this season.

About 25 of them games for burnley and Plymouth are 5 minute cameos from the bench.

I'd trust their managers judgment over your poor knowledge.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Barnes got what he wanted-a pay rise. The club got decent money for a player who would be out of contract in a few months.

I'm not one of the Barnes haters and although his scoring/playing record will always consist of many 'unlucky Ashlies' we could have done with his physicality yesterday against Blackpool. Strange how CMS gets the plaudits for always giving 100% but Barnes doesn't/didn't. He could have made the difference for us.

Not sure if he is good enough for the PL but he looks likely to have a go at proving the doubters wrong.

He didn't get what he wanted, he got what he deserved. I'd be royally ****ed off if I was given a derisory salary boost whilst the likes of Agustein pick up an absolute packet. Much like the Murray situation, if we had truely wanted him to stay, he'd still be here.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
What a load of rubbish. He played upfront for us about 8 times this season.

About 25 of them games for burnley and Plymouth are 5 minute cameos from the bench.

I'd trust their managers judgment over your poor knowledge.

He has played more games up front than you think. And the facts remain the same. He's scoring record is poor, you can't justify that with backward logic. His most politic period has actually been out wide (1:3), compared to his 1:5 playing up top. So that position isn't exactly alien to him!!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He didn't get what he wanted, he got what he deserved. I'd be royally ****ed off if I was given a derisory salary boost whilst the likes of Agustein pick up an absolute packet. Much like the Murray situation, if we had truely wanted him to stay, he'd still be here.

He got EXACTLY what he wanted - a pay rise. He wasn't worried where he got it from. Maybe he would have got more out of The Albion if he'd shown more desire to stay? He had known for a long time that Burnley wanted him so his efforts to stay were limited.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He got EXACTLY what he wanted - a pay rise. He wasn't worried where he got it from. Maybe he would have got more out of The Albion if he'd shown more desire to stay? He had known for a long time that Burnley wanted him so his efforts to stay were limited.

Our efforts to keep him were also limited.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Just on North West News that Burnley paid for only one player in the last 18 months. Sean Dyche also just said in interview that they spent £450k on the transfer budget this season.

Must be Ashley Barnes - and as far as I'm aware we never knew what he was sold for. I know he was out of contract end of the season but this looks like very poor business for the Albion.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Just on North West News that Burnley paid for only one player in the last 18 months. Sean Dyche also just said in interview that they spent £450k on the transfer budget this season.

Must be Ashley Barnes - and as far as I'm aware we never knew what he was sold for. I know he was out of contract end of the season but this looks like very poor business for the Albion.

Net spend of £450k isn't the same as spending £450k on a player.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

We don't know what the payment plan or arrangement was. It could be part payment this season with the outstanding next to help clubs with the FFP.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Our problem was not selling him as that represented good business the problem was not replacing him with better.

But that's the point, if you can't replace him (which we haven't and at the time I said we'd struggle) it's bad business.

We may have paid a loan fee for Lingaard or Obika. We will have had to settle his contract as he didn't ask to leave. That doesn't take into account the effect he could any prize money or increased earning from having another competent striker would have had. I would fancy us to be solidly in the play-offs now if we had him now

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To re quote and slightly change my posting from another thread from above (a) Do they want promotion this season (b) can we afford it this season (c) is the team good enough. I would suggest that it is possibly no to all points.

Jan 10, 2014
Just two things....

He's scored three times in nine starts.

We only have three first team forwards, one of them is out until at least November (maybe longer) and we won't be throwing money around to get two or more new forwards. So Barnes will be in the squad next season.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Just two things....

He's scored three times in nine starts.

We only have three first team forwards, one of them is out until at least November (maybe longer) and we won't be throwing money around to get two or more new forwards. So Barnes will be in the squad next season.

...and good luck to him.
The way the revisionists are banging on here he was the messiah and, if he ever falls out of favour up your way, is welcome back with open arms to relaunch his amazing Albion goal scoring career. Short memories.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
But that's the point, if you can't replace him (which we haven't and at the time I said we'd struggle) it's bad business.

We may have paid a loan fee for Lingaard or Obika. We will have had to settle his contract as he didn't ask to leave. That doesn't take into account the effect he could any prize money or increased earning from having another competent striker would have had. I would fancy us to be solidly in the play-offs now if we had him now
We tried to replace though. That's the point he was making. It's not Oscars fault his replacements have flopped. I've been very disappointed with Rod, Obika and Lingard :/

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We tried to replace though. That's the point he was making. It's not Oscars fault his replacements have flopped. I've been very disappointed with Rod, Obika and Lingard :/

I thought we would struggle to replace him. If he wanted out before the season began and we sold him due to his deal expiring in the summer then it is someone's fault we haven't managed to secure another striker, whether that's Oscar or not.

My main point was just saying we got £750k or £450k for which we got in the summer ignores the the fact that we could very well have paid out all that money in him leaving and having to replace him and it could have made more financial sense to keep him.

My point at the time and remains. It wasn't a big enough amount to warrant selling our only fit striker at the time and it would be hard to sign a replacement.

We also did not accept a large bid for Buckley or a million plus bid for Kuzcack who's also out of contract in the summer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Our efforts to keep him were also limited.

No change there then. That's why half of the stars of our team of the last couple of years are now playing in the Premier League and we're still stuck in the Championship just to keep the accountants happy. They won't be so happy when the JCLs start to drift away in DROVES.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
...and good luck to him.
The way the revisionists are banging on here he was the messiah and, if he ever falls out of favour up your way, is welcome back with open arms to relaunch his amazing Albion goal scoring career. Short memories.

No they are not. They are remembering that he was a decent player who scored goals. Don't exaggerate to try and put across a dubious point of view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here