Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes,

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Not once did I deny that lol. I'm just providing STATS as to why he's being overrated. When he was here, he divided opinions weekly, I was never in the hater camp BTW, I liked him as a player. I’m just offering a little prospective. There was no chance of Barnes wanting to stay when Burnley came knocking, so the club did the right thing by accepting the money. The issue has been with his REPLACEMENTS, which is what I’ve always believed in. If Barnes stayed here, he would have been played out wide again, as Ulloa would play up top. So we’ve probably lost out on another five Ash goals; that could be the difference between 5th and 6th.

Okay.

So Barnes would improve us greatly.

Glad you finally agree.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Okay.

So Barnes would improve us greatly.

Glad you finally agree.

You're either not getting it, or denying the truth! I'll break it down for you.

1) Once Burnley came, the player's head was turned (wages)

2) Once the offer was in, Brighton would be foolish to ignore it (he was out of contract)

3) The club then got replacements to what they believed would equal or better Ashley (they actually got three players in…)

4) All replacements have flopped, so the void left by Barnes hasn't been filled.

Because of 4, we now have a bombardment of Barnes threads daily, that’s the nature of NSC though XD

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
maybe if we had shown more desire to keep him (offer him some incentive to stay) rather than the same or less than he was already getting.
One thing you can never say about Barnes is his lack of desire to play.
we also knew that Burnley wanted him and some on here laughed at him leaving for Burnley truth is he will definitely be in the premiership.
WE ARE STILL FIGHTING TO BE THERE
and as some have already said he might still be able to aid us in our fight

I'm wondering how you know what negotiations took place between Barnes and the club? Do you seriously believe the club would have offered him less? I know you appear to have an agenda where the club is concerned but even you must be able to see that that scenario is/was unlikely? As for him wanting to leave for Burnley, maybe the deal with them had pretty much been done after the first round of talks between him and The Albion? I don't know but I'm sure you'll let us know what went on. As for us showing more desire to keep him, there had to be similar desire from him to stay and the fact he's at Burnley doesn't necessarily mean it was only The Albion lacking desire.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm wondering how you know what negotiations took place between Barnes and the club? Do you seriously believe the club would have offered him less? I know you appear to have an agenda where the club is concerned but even you must be able to see that that scenario is/was unlikely? As for him wanting to leave for Burnley, maybe the deal with them had pretty much been done after the first round of talks between him and The Albion? I don't know but I'm sure you'll let us know what went on. As for us showing more desire to keep him, there had to be similar desire from him to stay and the fact he's at Burnley doesn't necessarily mean it was only The Albion lacking desire.

only know what I have read on here.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

the only agenda I have is hoping the club do well (its been like that for 54 years) in that time I have watched the most unadulterated rubbish churned out by the club, been through the good times and mostly the bad times, now when we have the chance again to get into the premiership we are teetering again

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
the only agenda I have is hoping the club do well (its been like that for 54 years) in that time I have watched the most unadulterated rubbish churned out by the club, been through the good times and mostly the bad times, now when we have the chance again to get into the premiership we are teetering again

To get into the prem you have to have the required quality to get there. Unfortunately we don't..........it really is that simple IMO

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
To get into the prem you have to have the required quality to get there. Unfortunately we don't..........it really is that simple IMO

we at last agree
last time we went into the division above we had quality,loyalty,and players with a little guts.
this we do not have
Barnes had guts and always gave 100%..........this is what we are missing

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
we at last agree
last time we went into the division above we had quality,loyalty,and players with a little guts.
this we do not have
Barnes had guts and always gave 100%..........this is what we are missing

It was only a brief agreement.....lol

yes, he gave 100% but I'd still have sold him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're either not getting it, or denying the truth! I'll break it down for you.

1) Once Burnley came, the player's head was turned (wages)

2) Once the offer was in, Brighton would be foolish to ignore it (he was out of contract)

3) The club then got replacements to what they believed would equal or better Ashley (they actually got three players in…)

4) All replacements have flopped, so the void left by Barnes hasn't been filled.

Because of 4, we now have a bombardment of Barnes threads daily, that’s the nature of NSC though XD

It's not because of 4.

5) Barnsey has a promotion medal and will likely play in the Prem, whereas we are trying our hardest to throw away a chance in the playoffs.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It was only a brief agreement.....lol

yes, he gave 100% but I'd still have sold him.

not saying I wound not have either ......but only if we had a replacement, someone ****ed up
3 of the replacements have been absolute sheet..........lingard I would(but only on what I have heard and seen on highlights) keep, similar player to Barnes maybe better but is he worth the quoted 6m

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
not saying I wound not have either ......but only if we had a replacement, someone ****ed up
3 of the replacements have been absolute sheet..........lingard I would(but only on what I have heard and seen on highlights) keep, similar player to Barnes maybe better but is he worth the quoted 6m

Pretty sure Grabban was the designated target which didn't come off for whatever reason. Im pretty sure had we got him then these threads saying barnes was the be all and end all wouldn't have been started.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pretty sure Grabban was the designated target which didn't come off for whatever reason. Im pretty sure had we got him then these threads saying barnes was the be all and end all wouldn't have been started.

But shirley a club NOT in dire straights with the bank, doesn't need to sell a player PRIOR TO securing their direct replacement?

We cashed in on Barnes, and then many days later failed to secure the replacement. Leaving striking options even more bare for the critical final months of the season.

Anyway every cloud has a silver lining. Nice to see the modest and hardworking Barnes, secure his and his family's financial future, and a promotion elsewhere.

Jan 10, 2014
Congratulations on your provenance for next year. Now you've had a bit more of an extended look at Barnes, what are your thoughts on him? You'll notice that there's a huge range of views that have been expressed here on NSC.

I think that he's a grafter and he gets up and down all game, he's a battler. He's scored a couple of good important goals for us.

He's never going to be good enough long term for the Premier League but he wasn't bought for that. He seems a very decent chap and has his feet firmly on the ground.

He's also still driving his little crappy car about, so his wages haven't changed that dramatically. :D

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Indeed.

But unfortunately he just used us together a better deal atBournemouth

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
But shirley a club NOT in dire straights with the bank, doesn't need to sell a player PRIOR TO securing their direct replacement?

We cashed in on Barnes, and then many days later failed to secure the replacement. Leaving striking options even more bare for the critical final months of the season.

Anyway every cloud has a silver lining. Nice to see the modest and hardworking Barnes, secure his and his family's financial future, and a promotion elsewhere.

this I couldn't comment on. you would think not, but who knows.

good post

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think that he's a grafter and he gets up and down all game, he's a battler. He's scored a couple of good important goals for us.

He's never going to be good enough long term for the Premier League but he wasn't bought for that. He seems a very decent chap and has his feet firmly on the ground.

He's also still driving his little crappy car about, so his wages haven't changed that dramatically. :D

I'd pretty much go along with this assessment. The decent chap bit, however, was put into doubt round these parts when he was banned for seven games for trying to trip a referee. Those seven games left us with just one striker, and we've been pretty much in that position since then.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Congratulations on your achievement of runners-up spot, by the way. A magnificent accomplishment by Sean Dyche and his squad.

It doesn't look like we will be joining you in the Prem this time (although stranger things have happened), but hopefully we will meet again in the top flight the season after next.

I remember being at Turf Moor for the fourth division match against Wrexham at the end of the 1991-92 season - Burnley being Champions that season, and Albion being relegated into the third. The season immediately before the Premier League commenced. There has been a heck of a lot of water under the bridge since then, but would love to see the two sides meeting in the top flight for the first time.

Good luck.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Second striker. Oscar Garcia looks like he wants a more of a Messi type. We are missing him for his defensive work at corners and this has cost us goals (quite a few).

I think it will work out for the best next season. Not sure Lingard is the player we want as second striker though.

Second strikers tend not to be as tall or as physically imposing as a centre forward. They are required to be more "nippy" and skillful helping to create goals opportunities for centre forwards, utilising spaces created in the opposition's defence, picking up loose balls around the area or attempting to score themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_positions#Second_striker

The False 9, in some ways, similar to a more advanced attacking midfielder/playmaker role, is an unconventional lone striker or centre-forward, who drops deep into midfield. The purpose of this is that it creates a problem for opposing center backs who can either follow him, leaving space behind them for onrushing midfielders, forwards or wingers to exploit, or leaving him to have time and space to dribble or pick out a pass.

Key attributes for a False 9 are similar to those of a deep lying striker; dribbling ability to take advantage of space between the lines, good short passing ability to link up with the midfield and vision to play through team-mates making runs from deep to goal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_(association_football)#False_9

Credit to Ashley Barnes to what he did, but he is not the type of player I would want.

Jan 10, 2014
Congratulations on your achievement of runners-up spot, by the way. A magnificent accomplishment by Sean Dyche and his squad.

It doesn't look like we will be joining you in the Prem this time (although stranger things have happened), but hopefully we will meet again in the top flight the season after next.

I remember being at Turf Moor for the fourth division match against Wrexham at the end of the 1991-92 season - Burnley being Champions that season, and Albion being relegated into the third. The season immediately before the Premier League commenced. There has been a heck of a lot of water under the bridge since then, but would love to see the two sides meeting in the top flight for the first time.

Good luck.

Cheers AZ Gull

I was on the touchline with thousands of other Burnley fans at the end of the Wrexham game, and the ref blew his whistle for full time with around 8 minutes left because the Burnley fans kept legging up Wrexham's winger. :D

It's been a remarkable season and a lot of Burnley fans have been saying that it has been the greatest achievement for us since the 59-60 Championship season. It's hard to disagree with that when you take everything into consideration from the beginning of this season.

You never know, Burnley and Barnes may just give Brighton a helping hand yet and if it has anything to do with Dyche (and it obviously does) then he'll have our players up for beating Reading.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here