Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why we see performances like today!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Every good team has bad days, every bad team will have a good day. The trouble with Albion, this season, is the almost inevitability of a 'below par' performance.

Ability wise our side compares fairly well with others in the division yet the application and desire just too often isn't there. Where's the leadership on the pitch, where's the leadership on the touchline. Garcia looks as though he's sulking around the box and substitutions often have an air of desperation rather than tactical planning.

Most of us have seen far worse Albion teams but everything is their, 6th place is almost being handed to them but still they cannot step up to the plate and that's what so galling.

In previous years we've been used to suffering only a small amout of poor games over a season. This time it'll be hard to look back and recall the great games.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Hopefully because he told him to get up front and score the winner and not go and sit infront of back four, unfortunately I can't read Oscar's mind so not sure why you are asking.
I am asking because this is a forum, and people ask other peoples opinion. I am sure Spanish done as he was told. So if you have an opinion, that is what I am asking. That said as you think El-Abd shouldn't have been sold because you rate him higher than Upson, I don't think I really want or need to know you opinion on anything to do with football!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
They are not in the premier league for a reason as they (like us) are not consistent enough to play for a top division side. Let's see how many of those you have listed are on premier league target lists this summer. We are not the only club facing FFP and money does not necessarily guarantee promotion. We will always rely on the loan market at this level as we have so far in the championship

No I don't blame the players every week and I was not happy with Garcia all those weeks ago when he set us up negatively but in the last few games Garcia has set us up positively and the players have failed to deliver.

I don't feel Garcia is beyond criticism but did not do much wrong with how he set us up today
Kuszczak, Ward, Buckley, Stephens, Ulloa, Lingard, Dunk. I know we have had enquires from top flight clubs on most of those. I cannot comment about Leicester, but the set up in the past few games has been no different. Expect right at the start of the second half today, when it looked like 4-4-1-1, but that lasted 40 seconds because soon as we scored, Buckley was ordered off the wing and back inside. Good minute whilst it lasted though:lol:

So how do you think we set up differently today, then from say Barnsley or Middlesborough?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We didn't play with confidence or any tempo again today, the performance overall was very poor. We had individual pieces of skill but nothing was linked up. The dead ball set piece, is our chance to have 100% control and what did we do with it on SIX occasions today, surely this is down to management and not the players deciding during the game. I have followed the Albion for over forty years and will continue to follow them but players and those who manage them appear to be less clever and skilled than I have seen in the past. Lua Lua should have been subbed before half time, it was one of the worst performances I have seen from an Albion player, disinterested, tactically all over the place and just looking for an easy ride. I can accept defeat and an off day, but stupidity and lack of effort are not on.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Kuszczak, Ward, Buckley, Stephens, Ulloa, Lingard, Dunk. I know we have had enquires from top flight clubs on most of those. I cannot comment about Leicester, but the set up in the past few games has been no different. Expect right at the start of the second half today, when it looked like 4-4-1-1, but that lasted 40 seconds because soon as we scored, Buckley was ordered off the wing and back inside. Good minute whilst it lasted though:lol:

So how do you think we set up differently today, then from say Barnsley or Middlesborough?

Up until about 5 games ago we consistently played 2 defensive midfielders this season the last version being ince and Andrews. This has changed of late and we are now only playing one (Andrews at present).

Since this change we have been playing Stephens in a more advanced midfield role and 3 attacking players interchanging behind ulloa. This is different from how we set up against the sides you mentioned and shows more attacking intent from the head coach.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
No tempo, no pace, no urgency. We knew exactly what was needed, why the @'k@ can't we put in a performance to match the situation. We will now be needing to get a result at Forest. Shouldn't be coming down to this.

We have played like this all season at home , which is why we hardly score more than one goal a game , why do you think it would be different today ?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Up until about 5 games ago we consistently played 2 defensive midfielders this season the last version being ince and Andrews. This has changed of late and we are now only playing one (Andrews at present).

Since this change we have been playing Stephens in a more advanced midfield role and 3 attacking players interchanging behind ulloa. This is different from how we set up against the sides you mentioned and shows more attacking intent from the head coach.
So how do you explain on numerous occasions this afternoon up until the last 20 minutes or so when CMS came on, that Ulloa was isolated up front with the closest team mate 20 or 30 years behind him?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Time to bring in some bully boys who like to mix it up while still playing the passing game.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Quite simple why we see performances like we did today and have done most of season, we reflect the dour negative head coach. Until we get rid of this out of his depth Spanish Dullard and the Welsh windbag we will continue to see performances like today. We are in with a shout of the playoffs in spite of Garcia not because of him.

Agree

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
IMO all Brighton are really missing is a strong midfield player who links the defence with the attack. Vicente was obviously the best at that, Bridcutt was good enough, Ince almost but not quite yet, Agustein who knows (presumably not?), Crofts injured. Then what?
Then what? I'd stick Dale Stephens at the head of the queue. Agustein would do the job if he was picked. How many more do you want? Bridcutt was never linked defense and attack???

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Every good team has bad days, every bad team will have a good day. The trouble with Albion, this season, is the almost inevitability of a 'below par' performance.

Ability wise our side compares fairly well with others in the division yet the application and desire just too often isn't there. Where's the leadership on the pitch, where's the leadership on the touchline. Garcia looks as though he's sulking around the box and substitutions often have an air of desperation rather than tactical planning.

Most of us have seen far worse Albion teams but everything is their, 6th place is almost being handed to them but still they cannot step up to the plate and that's what so galling.

In previous years we've been used to suffering only a small amout of poor games over a season. This time it'll be hard to look back and recall the great games.
:clap:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It's the management ffs - why play 2 wingers through the middle thus resulting in no width and playing totally into Blackpool's hands. I am completely mystified.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
So how do you explain on numerous occasions this afternoon up until the last 20 minutes or so when CMS came on, that Ulloa was isolated up front with the closest team mate 20 or 30 years behind him?

Ulloa was isolated as our midfield lost the ability to pass to one of our players and our wingers did not turn up meaning we had no impetus going forward. Blackpool came at is and we sat deeper. This and despite the negative approach you are trying to portray we finished the game with 2 strikers and 2 wingers on the pitch and still had a chance to win the game which again one of our 'premier league' players in waiting failed to score

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously not the case but the impression given by the performance today is that somebody above has told the players that (a) .we dont want to go up. (b) we cant afford to go up (c) we are not good enough and if we did most of you will be released.

Last edited:

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
I was really embarrassed today watching Lingard and Lua lua fall over at the slightest touch, the pair of them should hang their heads in shame and so should the members of the management staff who encourage such blatant cheating. The referee saw straight through it and as a consequence let Blackpool off with a lot of rough challenges because he assumed we were a team of cheats. You reap what you sow in this league...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here