Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where does the North start ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
For me there's the South, which is Sussex, Hampshire, some of Kent.
Then there's Londonish which is London plus Surrey, Essex, Hertfordshire and the like.
After that comes the Midlands, extending from Bedford/Cambridge way to Leicester/Wolverhampton.
Anything from Stoke to the Scottish border is the North.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Eridge / Tunbridge Wells

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I live in West London, and traditionally its anything north of the M25.

Attachments

• North South Divide.jpg
    North South Divide.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 191

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Bodmin

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When we used to go on holiday in our Morris Traveller we knew we were in the north when you couldn't get safety matches - which were seemingly only made for us softies down south who were presumably afraid of fire. It was generally noticeable once we crossed the River Trent.

However, according to the BBC Weather site, Buxton is classed as being in the 'East Midlands'....

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
When we used to go on holiday in our Morris Traveller we knew we were in the north when you couldn't get safety matches - which were seemingly only made for us softies down south who were presumably afraid of fire. It was generally noticeable once we crossed the River Trent.

However, according to the BBC Weather site, Buxton is classed as being in the 'East Midlands'....
Probably because it's in Derbyshire which is classed as East Midlands even though it's mostly due North of Birmingham. The northernmost part of Derbyshire is further North than Manchester, bizarrely.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Pease Pottage services - anything beyond that is just wasteland.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I know a couple of people from Scunthorpe and they would very much disagree with you.

Fair point but with all respect to Scunthorpe it has a hands-off relationship with Lincolnshire, rather like Crawley's with Sussex. My sister lives in Keelby (at least three posters will know where that is) and although she likes the north she doesn't feel she resides in it. Lincs is truly a place apart and that's why I love it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Fair point but with all respect to Scunthorpe it has a hands-off relationship with Lincolnshire, rather like Crawley's with Sussex. My sister lives in Keelby (at least three posters will know where that is) and although she likes the north she doesn't feel she resides in it. Lincs is truly a place apart and that's why I love it.

Explains why our imaginary line started fading after Chesterfield. Lincolnshire was causing confusion.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
On the M1 - Bolsover. Look east to the castle lording it over the redundant mines, you couldn't get more Northern than that.

In truth, the North Laine, or as someone posted earlier, North Road as it's southern boundary.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here