Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do DJs talk over intros

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Whenever I've worked a night shift they don't talk over the music from about midnight onwards. It's all prerecorded stuff. Perhaps listen to the radio at those times instead?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I was always under the impression that it was to avoid paying royalties for the record, sure I heard or read that some where

I'm pretty sure that's an urban myth in the UK; it is absolutely not the case here anyway. Commercial music stations (UK and here) have their royalties worked out on their turnover, number of songs or how they are played are irrelevant.

One of the two stations I work for have live overnights still, last station in the country to do so, so spongy's approach fails there.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was always under the impression that it was to avoid paying royalties for the record, sure I heard or read that some where
No. Playing the song counts (as it is being broadcast and you can hear it) even if they talk over the whole thing. It only takes a minute of airplay for a song to trigger a Royalty payment; then it's the same regardless of how much of the song is played (i.e. if they fade out the ending). The payment itself varies from station to station as they use a formula based on how much music a station plays, its audience size, the geographical reach of its signal, the time of day, etc. I'm a PRS member and the whole Royalties thing is a bit complex (as it's more than just radio plays), but for the few quid I earn a year I don't pore over all the details to see if I've lost a few pence somewhere.

I agree with the OP though it IS really irritating.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Steve Wright eh? still playing the same bland, middle of the road crap that he was playing back in the 80's

Not as bad as Simon Mayo as he doesn't play enough music to talk over, who wants to listen to someone going on about cooking when you are driving home after a days work feeling hungry.
I don't know how they get away with that show it's been the same old crap for years.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't recall buying much music in the 90s. Recording songs from Southern FM or Radio One sufficed. Just a pain trying to find the song on tape afterwards.

I'm still trying to find the song called something like Abort, retry, fail white city or something. Made by an Indian chap in his bedroom. Ive got it on tape somewhere.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I don't recall buying much music in the 90s. Recording songs from Southern FM or Radio One sufficed. Just a pain trying to find the song on tape afterwards.

I'm still trying to find the song called something like Abort, retry, fail white city or something. Made by an Indian chap in his bedroom. Ive got it on tape somewhere.

White Town - Your Woman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here