Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possible increase in season ticket prices IF promoted

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
I like Derby's way.

DERBY County fans who buy a 2014-15 season ticket before the early-bird deadline in March will receive a 50% refund should the club win promotion to the Premier League this season.

Given promotion = £60m, giving loyal fans a reward for their support in the lower leagues is a fantastic gesture, totally opposite to "you have to pay more or we will resell your ticket to a plastic" If the prices do go up, I will probably pay for one season and then quit, as I can not justify paying any more. I will be an armchair viewer and will not rush back when the inevitable relegation happens.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
We had a pretty much identical thread last year. I'm going to repeat what I said then, as I still haven't heard a decent argument against it ...

During the Gillingham and Withdean years, we were told that our ST prices were higher than supply/demand justified because the club needed the additional income. In my wife's words, "it's charity, basically".

If we get promoted and get lots of TV income, then on the same principle, ST prices should be reduced - and certainly not increase ... unless the club's relationship with us supporters has changed.

Maybe it has, and I accept that it's the club's decision. But I feel that, given our history, they should have to justify their position in this context, and as far as I'm concerned, they haven't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I love this argument about the PL. Worldwide the league is about Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Manchester City and probably in that order. If I'd done this to scale I might have also had to include a three inch gap after Manchester United. Surely nobody can realtistically think that they will be in a frenzy of excitement tomorrow night in Singapore waiting to watch Cardiff V Stoke? I wouldn't watch that if they were playing in my back garden.

The reality is that no promoted club needs to increase its ticket prices at all - soaking everyone for another £100 makes little difference to the massive spike in turnover due to tv revenue, which will in any event then be blown on paying players two or three times the going rate, and storing up huge financial problems for when relegation inevitably follows.

Don't be so sure. The last time I was in singapore, the taxi driver that took me to the airport was sooo excited about the game that evening (in fact in the middle of the night for him) that he was going to watch. It was Stoke v Wigan I think. He didn't support either but 'loved the EPL'..........

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Because the Premier League is about fleecing fans at every opportunity.

The above is probably the correct answer, but aside of that, there are many on here who complain about the present prices on just about everything, so what will it be like if (and when) we do start competing in the Premier League? complete carnage springs to mind :lol:

We had a pretty much identical thread last year. I'm going to repeat what I said then, as I still haven't heard a decent argument against it ...

During the Gillingham and Withdean years, we were told that our ST prices were higher than supply/demand justified because the club needed the additional income. In my wife's words, "it's charity, basically".

If we get promoted and get lots of TV income, then on the same principle, ST prices should be reduced - and certainly not increase ... unless the club's relationship with us supporters has changed.

Maybe it has, and I accept that it's the club's decision. But I feel that, given our history, they should have to justify their position in this context, and as far as I'm concerned, they haven't.

I don't disagree with your sentiment but isn't there some debt that's increasing annually; surely this needs to be addressed and then repaid? The latter would seem to require BHA to attain and maintain premier league membership.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I assume they will just ask you to pay the extra as a lump sum, or in cases of 'hardship' might allow the increase to be spread out. But, let's get promoted first! :)

Would not mind the extra but yeh true we need to concentrate on the remaining games and get past the play offs to !

Come on albion!! :albion2:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was looking at the contracts thread; it depresses me to think the supporters are being squeezed and squeezed to pay for another season of Kemy Augustein.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I was looking at the contracts thread; it depresses me to think the supporters are being squeezed and squeezed to pay for another season of Kemy Augustein.

That is the beauty of living in a democracy, those that wish to shall indeed pay more should it arise, and those that wish not do are equally at liberty to do as they see fit. No big deal really.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Because if you don't pay the increase, they'll be at least 5 others who will.

Don't think I agree with that. Do you really think the prem will still be far more appealing than the Championship with considerably higher prices and very few Saturday matches?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is the beauty of living in a democracy, those that wish to shall indeed pay more should it arise, and those that wish not do are equally at liberty to do as they see fit. No big deal really.

Yawn yawn. Why the smart arse rhetorical comment? It's my football club; the free market ideology you allude to here doesn't hold up the same way as other industries but I think you know this. Am I not allowed to be disappointed with paying for an unfit Twitterer like Augustein?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't think I agree with that. Do you really think the prem will still be far more appealing than the Championship with considerably higher prices and very few Saturday matches?
Not to Brighton fans, no.

But it won't just be Brighton fans forming a queue to buy over inflated season tickets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Unless those who wish to, cannot, because they are priced out of the market.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Simple. Your sharp and concise response littered with intelligence and insight has left a simpleton like myself bewildered and in awe of a greater mind and I have no response to match such wit. I bow in defeat.

Or you genuinely do not have a reply so resort to sarcasm to fill your void?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Unless those who wish to, cannot, because they are priced out of the market.

Exactly.

ST prices should come down if we were to go up. Less games.

Less games, and far, far more TV money.

Fill the stadium with genuine fans, not those who want to jump on the premiership bandwagon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here