Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More than a million have used UK food banks in the past year

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why there ?

Me and Westdene have both been there, separately, and enjoy the restaurant. Whilst he is generally wrong with his politics he is right when it comes to some things :smile:

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
This, being of the political orientation I am, has obviously crossed my mind on many occasions.

If I somehow became a multi-millionaire overnight, I would fully support a heavy taxation of my estate, as long as it applied to everyone else too. Obviously in this world, that would never happen - so I suppose after the expenses of living comfortably I would reinvest the money into doing good service to society somehow.

But millionaires are not the reason for the massive disparity between rich and poor, they are not part of the "1%" - it's the billionaires who hoard their wealth that are causing this. There are over 1,500 known billionaires in the world now, the 85 richest of them have more wealth than the four BILLION poorest people on the planet.

Heavy taxation, or even a cap on personal wealth, of the super rich is the solution - but how can this happen when world governments serve them and not us?

The more we pay in tax goes to foreign aid. It has risen 27% this year and is now £11 billion pounds and the only other country to pay more is the USA.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This, being of the political orientation I am, has obviously crossed my mind on many occasions.

If I somehow became a multi-millionaire overnight, I would fully support a heavy taxation of my estate, as long as it applied to everyone else too. Obviously in this world, that would never happen - so I suppose after the expenses of living comfortably I would reinvest the money into doing good service to society somehow.

But millionaires are not the reason for the massive disparity between rich and poor, they are not part of the "1%" - it's the billionaires who hoard their wealth that are causing this. There are over 1,500 known billionaires in the world now, the 85 richest of them have more wealth than the four BILLION poorest people on the planet.

Heavy taxation, or even a cap on personal wealth, of the super rich is the solution - but how can this happen when world governments serve them and not us?

Join the St BOF fan club, why do so many people despise the rich of which many have created employment for others ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Me and Westdene have both been there, separately, and enjoy the restaurant. Whilst he is generally wrong with his politics he is right when it comes to some things :smile:

Commies and Nazis have always been known to appreciate a good meal :wink:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It does not even come down to heavy personal taxation in my opinion. There are plenty of businesses which are not paying, in my opinion, their share from the benefit they get of employing and trading in the UK. If they paid their way and the wealthy also contributed a fairer share instead of exploiting loop holes the country would be in a much better shape. I'm not for punishing anyone with taxes but do feel some are taking the piss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
But millionaires are not the reason for the massive disparity between rich and poor, they are not part of the "1%" - it's the billionaires who hoard their wealth that are causing this. There are over 1,500 known billionaires in the world now, the 85 richest of them have more wealth than the four BILLION poorest people

No billionaire sits on a pile of cash like Scrooge McDuck! It is either invested in businesses, who employee people, pay wages and generally fuel the economy. Or it's sat in a bank earning interest, which the bank pay because they have invested the money in businesses who pay wages etc etc.

There is no "hoarding" of wealth only varying degrees of efficiency in using it to fuel the economy.

Only those who hoard physical resources are truely stopping greater equality and those with physical resources are not the same as those with the pieces of paper that say they are billionaires.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Why would I be jealous of a millionaire?

Did I personally pick you out Mike? No. I said what I did because that's how rich people are perceived in our society these days. The poor resent the rich because they've worked hard for their money but these lazy ****ers who claim benefits want some of what these rich people have without getting off their lazy butts.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
...because it's an absolute myth, they don't. There are many billionaires who employ none at all. Even the ones that do are unlikely to employ more than a 1,000 people or so. Let's take Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook founder), worth nearly $30bn - but Facebook employs around 2,000 people. Not a good return for money, from a societal perspective.

And to be fair to Zuckerberg he made that fortune through hard work, risk taking and having a decent idea. Why that obliges him to employ more people than he needs ( and technology allows him to employ a small number ) I don't understand ? Just as long as he pays his tax ( both personal and corporate ) then I have no problem with him or how many people he employs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And to be fair to Zuckerberg he made that fortune through hard work, risk taking and having a decent idea. Why that obliges him to employ more people than he needs ( and technology allows him to employ a small number ) I don't understand ? Just as long as he pays his tax ( both personal and corporate ) then I have no problem with him or how many people he employs.

Indeed these people take huge risks when starting up these companies.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Did I personally pick you out Mike? No. I said what I did because that's how rich people are perceived in our society these days. The poor resent the rich because they've worked hard for their money but these lazy ****ers who claim benefits want some of what these rich people have without getting off their lazy butts.

In a response to Beach hut asking 'why do so many people despise the rich of which many have created employment for others?' You said jealousy. So, I despise many reach people because they have a mindset that essentially says that I want to keep as much to myself as possible and any 'scounger' that cares to receive 3 days of food from a food bank is a 'lazy ****er' who is just sponging on my tax.

So, I was just asking why it is that I'm jealous?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's also worth pointing out he gives a lot of time and money to all manner of not-for-profit projects; the most interesting one for me is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26326844

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
In a response to Beach hut asking 'why do so many people despise the rich of which many have created employment for others?' You said jealousy. So, I despise many reach people because they have a mindset that essentially says that I want to keep as much to myself as possible and any 'scounger' that cares to receive 3 days of food from a food bank is a 'lazy ****er' who is just sponging on my tax.

So, I was just asking why it is that I'm jealous?

Haven't read your dialogue with Beach Hut but I was just replying to him. I'm in if you've got money and made it then why give some away to people who want everything for free or even if people come up with the argument of fallen on hard times then why didn't they safe for a rainy day. I have no sympathy, sorry, thats me I'm afraid.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Haven't read your dialogue with Beach Hut but I was just replying to him. I'm in if you've got money and made it then why give some away to people who want everything for free or even if people come up with the argument of fallen on hard times then why didn't they safe for a rainy day. I have no sympathy, sorry, thats me I'm afraid.

I get it, and I respect your honesty but the bit that troubles me is that you imply that because I despise rich hoarders that I'm jealous?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The poor do not resent the rich purely because they are rich, I feel it is more down to fairness. Is it fair that a company can afford to employ staff on proper contracts on decent living wages but choose not to because they can get away with zero hour deals and the minimum wage? No it's not in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here