Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All things about Gus Poyet - former Brighton and Hove Albion Manager

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd love it if he went to Leeds, watching the locals get on his back and having the opportunity to go along occasionally to give him some stick. It's a restless crowd at Elland Road and I don't see them ever taking to Poyet.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Poyet's comments are hardly what the fans want to hear when we're about to be relegated. But then Poyet's comments after B&HA had just lost a play-off semi-final to their bitter rivals were not what you wanted to hear either. He isn't bothered about making supporters feel even worse is he?
Mind, this time there is definitely substance to his words. There is something rotten deep down in our club and has been for a long time. That's why some of us were so bitterly disappointed when Paolo Di Canio, who had recognised this in double quick time, was sacked instead of being backed when he was clearly determined to do something about it. It's a pity Poyet doesn't appear to have the appetite or the character to sort out the mess.

This is an interesting point.

Many Brighton fans blame Poyet; many Sunderland fans for quite a while have blamed the long-standing set-up and culture which has been allowed to fester. If big noise characters like Di Canio nor Poyet can't sort it out, Sunderland could well hit the skids.

That said, Poyet's comments aren't helping.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh dear Gus.

We weren't bottom when he arrived - we are now adrift - he has added more crap to the existing crap who for me are even worse and is now embarking on damage limitation to his managerial reputation (whatever level that is currently exists at) at the expense of denigrating the club in public. Go anytime you want Mr Poyet. You really won't be missed.

Cya Gus, heart of a pea, tactically clueless and will never forget the Hull debacle. Cheers for dry humping the scum twice and old Trafford but we will survive without you! We have enough gutless twats on the pitch we don't need more off the pitch too.

You're right, all managers will make mistakes. For me poyet just seems to be making quite a few and, as worrying as that is, its his seeming lack of commitment which is pissing me off as much as anything. We slag the players off for not caring but if the manager cant be arsed to be here then what chance do we have? I dont want poyet to go but i'd like him to learn from his mistakes, not blame other people and come out and state that hes absolutely committed to this club. If he isnt then he might as well leave.

He's been here six months and he thinks it is rotten to the core?

Six months?
How can a club really be rotten to the core? What is the core anyhow? Suppose in the end it must be the area and the supporters. Certainly the players cant be core as they come and go like old milk bottles. The owner? Don't think he is rotten to the core.
So it must be us cos we are the only ones who are the core of this club.
So **** off Gus

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...ort-the-club-out.905082/page-13#ixzz2yqbcnI4J

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I thyink they like him even less than we do!!!!!

Every f£££g week he comes out and talks about his future. I'm sure he said last week he won't quit, the week before we'll see what happens, now he's back to that.

We weren't bottom when he arrived - we are now adrift - he has added more crap to the existing crap who for me are even worse and is now embarking on damage limitation to his managerial reputation (whatever level that is currently exists at) at the expense of denigrating the club in public. Go anytime you want Mr Poyet. You really won't be missed.

I seem to remember a Brighton fan warning us when we were linked that Gus would talk about himself and his own future at every given opportunity. I'm sure said Brighton fan said he was only ever concerned about when Chelsea or Spurs were going to give him the job (I know, I know). Can someone confirm I'm not making this up?

Poyet is looking to blame anyone but himself, we have got worse since he brought his own players into the club.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Well, none of this is surprising. Unfortunately for Gus at present, his ego and impatience far exceed his ability and achievements. What he needs is the unconditional backing of ambitious chairman and supporters, who have the stadium and set up made for the PL. Oh hang on.......

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He we end up at Leeds in the summer and hopefully take them down to league 1

He would definitely be a good fit for Leeds. And they won't be short of cash for him to splash next season.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Looks like all those Sunderland fans that came on here asking about why there was 'so much bitterness' RE Poyet on this board have been given an answer they can finally understand from the man himself...

Oct 25, 2003
When choosing to take the Sunderland job, he probably thought back to when he took the job here. We were struggling, as were Sunderland at the time. The key differences are:

-We were in a division where, sometimes, just being able to pass it about a bit is enough to be half decent- You need a lot more than that in the Prem
-We already had some players who were very good players in that league (Murray, Bennett, Crofts, Forster etc.) and it was only really a case of tightening up our defence to make us competitive- Sunderland are lacking in talent and are in no way 'too good to go down'
-Even though we were at Withdean, we had enough of a budget to be competitive in League 1 because of Bloom- Sunderlands budget is nothing special by Prem standards

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The ' Poyet publicity machine ' has been rolling on for some time. Most of the press love him cos he gives good copy and he has cleverly nurtured his relationship with the media, to ensure that he is never out of the spotlight. Equally, most neutrals look at his record at BHA and consider he did well and assume he will naturally succeed in the PL. They all believe the hype about him and will give him more time to prove himself.
A lot of Sunderland fans have now seen through all the talk, the soundbites and quite frankly, the bovine manure. A number of managers would have kept Sunderland up ( Pulis for one ) and he has failed pretty miserably. The league cup run deflected a lot of attention but it is firmly back on him now and he is desperately trying to wriggle out of it, by whatever means he can.
It wouldn't surprise me if he left and took another English job. What would surprise me is if he ever made a success of management at the highest level. As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't got it in him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He would definitely be a good fit for Leeds. And they won't be short of cash for him to splash next season.

Italian owner will probably go with an Italian though.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Well, none of this is surprising. Unfortunately for Gus at present, his ego and impatience far exceed his ability and achievements. What he needs is the unconditional backing of ambitious chairman and supporters, who have the stadium and set up made for the PL. Oh hang on.......

This was what made his departure (and nature of) so difficult and disturbing for the club last summer. Gus and Albion were a good fit, right up until two things happened; firstly he found out Albion would be concentrating on youth in the not too distant future in order to reign in the player budget, and secondly premier league teams started sniffing round on the back of Albions new year form.

His behavior at the time was very short sighted (as many of us could see) because with us he was slowly building a club and his own reputation in a secure job. Anywhere else he was always going to be given someones' rubbish players and given limited time to get results. After leaving the Albion it was only a matter of time before he'd be back on the managerial merry-go-round.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So we had Poyet linked with the Reading job which quite clearly didn't go ahead. Then, some suspect, he was approached by Sunderland, screwed up our promotion chances and was suspended leaving Sunderland stuck with PDC while Poyet's legal matters with us were ongoing. If the latter is true then both Poyet and Sunderland have got what they deserve.

I was quite pissed off, at first, when he left The Albion. Now I'm happy that he's another club's problem.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think Gus needs to think very carefully about what he does next. The championship is harder than ever to bounce straight back up from, not one team managed it last season and the top 2 this year are also teams from the championship, although QPR or Wigan could go up through the playoffs.

I dont think it will be an easy ride, which I would imagine some Sunderland fans may be expecting, if it is a sinking ship it will probably be best for him to jump ship. If he fails at getting them promoted next season that will really damage his career. get out now, blame the dead wood, lay low for a while and pop up when someone desperete needs him.

Last edited:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Gus is a fool. Had he stayed with us, there is every chance that we would have been promoted automatically this season, so he would have neither a sacking for gross misconduct nor a relegation on his CV.

He had a good thing going at the Albion. He must realise that now (as must Liam Bridcutt).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here