Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Concratulations Luton Town

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
So a shade under 10,000 TWICE, compared to Luton's 6,200 against Southampton in 1986 and 6-7,000 on countless occasions. You've just proved my point nicely.

Hooray for me Ive proved your point by pointing out that by stating: 'Brighton, whose gates never dipped below 14,000 when WE were in the first division between 1979 and 1983', you were wrong.

And those were the two occasions I could remember.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe a lot of the slightly surprising bile towards them on this thread is that in fact they're probably pretty similar to us in some respects: similar crowds, similar level of (under)achievement, crappy ground, as ours was in Div 1 etc.

Nonsense.

There are plenty of other clubs who from that same moment in time would have been 'similar', who don't inspire any of the antipathy that Luton do. That has zero bearing on it.

I'm not going speak for anyone else, as to their reasons, but personally I can't abide them - because a significant proportion of their fanbase still revel in the kind of aggro bullshit that decent, grown-up people left behind two decades ago.

Of course, to save anyone typing it, we still have our share of knuckle-draggers, and 'holdmeback' knobs, but like with nearly all clubs, they are a tiny proportion, and keep their pathetic nonsense away from the ground.

Stuff that has continued to go on at Luton, pretty recently, such as chasing the opposition TEAM off the pitch, into the away end, under a hail of coins, for having the brazen gall to um, beat them, is just unnaceptable. If that viewpoint makes me a bedwetter, in the eyes of some of our more 'old-fashioned' posters, I can deal with that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hooray for me Ive proved your point by pointing out that by stating: 'Brighton, whose gates never dipped below 14,000 when WE were in the first division between 1979 and 1983', you were wrong.

And those were the two occasions I could remember.
Er, no. You proved my point with this little exchange:

And before anyone bangs on about their support this season, they had a good few gates of 6-7,000 in the TOP division back in the day.

I hope they fk off back to the conference, the non-league cn*ts.

Admittedly, I got the 14,000 number wrong - it should have read 9,700. But my point stands - it's nowhere near as low as the 6,200 gates that Luton were getting in the top division even though you insisted we had:

As opposed to Brighton who never had a gate like that?

You were wrong. As I say, you're accusing everyone else of wetting the bed when that's *exactly* what you're doing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah i wont bother having an opinion in future and leave you all to play amongst yourselves.

Have an opinion by all means. Just don't act like a bed-wetter when others disagree, by picking a fight on ALL fronts when it is quite clear that some of the reasons have some merit.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Er, no. You proved my point with this little exchange:

Admittedly, I got the 14,000 number wrong - it should have read 9,700. But my point stands - it's nowhere near as low as the 6,200 gates that Luton were getting in the top division even though you insisted we had:

You were wrong. As I say, you're accusing everyone else of wetting the bed when that's *exactly* what you're doing.

Right so no club that used to get cowds of 6,000 in the top division 30 years ago should be allowed in what; the football league? The premier?

Sorry Im thick can you point out the bit where I was wrong again? Its good to see that you admitted you were.

I think youre taking this a bit more seriously than I am.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Have an opinion by all means. Just don't act like a bed-wetter when others disagree, by picking a fight on ALL fronts when it is quite clear that some of the reasons have some merit.

Youre too kind. Thank you for giving me permission.

What a shame you cant bring yourself to practice what you preach.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
:flounce:

Yes it's definitely me wetting the bed and taking it seriously. I should really lighten up and chill out like you did there. :thumbsup:

Flounce: When a member of an online community announces they are leaving,
usually after a protracted disagreement with other members of the community.

Nope.

Still here.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I dont mind.

I'd go further. I welcome them back. Absolute travesty the new regime being lumbered with the 30 points penalty because of the sins of their predecessors in the first place.

They're a proper local club with a lot of history and a fanatical fanbase. Yes, Luton is bloody grim but isn't that what away days are all about? Give me Luton over MK Dons or Wycombe any day of the week. Everybody remembers going to Luton, we've all dined out on stories of their nutty fans, the horrible ground with the loos overlooking people's gardens, the away end in amongst those terrace houses...

Superb day out is Luton away.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yeah well fans get the chairman they deserve.

Im sure as many Luton fans voted for him to be Chairman as we did W.A Archer.

Quite. We discussed him recently, I think. You want to know when the exact point English football lost its soul, then it was when him and people like him got involved.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm not going speak for anyone else, as to their reasons, but personally I can't abide them - because a significant proportion of their fanbase still revel in the kind of aggro bullshit that decent, grown-up people left behind two decades ago.

Fair enough, and I'm as little a hoolie apologist as you are, clearly. But much of the bellyaching about them in this thread seems to focus less on their hoolie contingent and more on the actions of their board in the mid-80s: the plastic pitch, banning away fans etc. All of which were perpetrated by a board hated by normal Luton fans. Anyway, I just have a soft spot for "proper", old-fashioned football clubs with good support so I for one am happy they're back.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fair enough, and I'm as little a hoolie apologist as you are, clearly. But much of the bellyaching about them in this thread seems to focus less on their hoolie contingent and more on the actions of their board in the mid-80s: the plastic pitch, banning away fans etc. All of which were perpetrated by a board hated by normal Luton fans. Anyway, I just have a soft spot for "proper", old-fashioned football clubs with good support so I for one am happy they're back.

Absolutely this. So long as you're not including Pompey in the list of proper old fashioned football clubs. #twats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here