Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roberto Martinez

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
https://grabyo.com/g/v/olMbV7fBaJt

That's his speech from the Hillsborough memorial service at Anfield. Very classy, and got me thinking - does ANYONE dislike Roberto Martinez, and if so why?

I'd love to see him manage us one day, but I suspect he's destined for bigger things.

He got a side relegated last season, I'd be amazed if there wasn't some grumbles against him

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Yep, it's a close call between Roberto and Gus, to see who is the most humble, genuine, and talented leader. A very close call.

NOT

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yep, it's a close call between Roberto and Gus, to see who is the most humble, genuine, and talented leader. A very close call.

NOT

Agreed on humble, but Gus IS genuine (too genuine!) and obviously talented, so your post doesn't really work.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Thoughtful, erudite, considered, classy, talented, passionate and thoroughly likeable.

That's Martinez, not Poyet.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Martinez and Poyet are not even in the same boat let alone planet. What a wonderful abd eloquent speech.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
He got a side relegated last season, I'd be amazed if there wasn't some grumbles against him

Yes, but even in that season, he still managed to win the FA Cup. I'd be very surprised if any Wigan fans had a bad word to say about him, Dave Wheelan certainly didn't.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Mellotron. I chose those words to contrast these two people as LEADERS. Gus is not a humble leader (his ego and future is more important than anything or anyone else), I don't believe he is a genuine leader (he lies, and he puts himself before others) and I don't think he is a talented leader (because he is not capable of leading as part of a bigger team, and he is not achieving success as a leader either).

that's all.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Can see him and Rodgers being sought after for years. Both have different styles but bring out the best in players

Sorry if it's just me on this, but I don't get this big need for football managers to be "humble". He's there to win football matches and hopefully entertain as well, not to be your mate down the pub.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Sorry if it's just me on this, but I don't get this big need for football managers to be "humble". He's there to win football matches and hopefully entertain as well, not to be your mate down the pub.

Oh, I dunno, maybe it's because being humble is seen as a good thing in a person. You are of course correct that there's no requirement for a manager or coach to be humble but it's obviously going to rub people the wrong way if you are not humble when, based on your professional record, you really have quite a lot to be humble about.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Without a little humility and Sir Alex or Jose's record, you're just another, Pardew, Adkins, Davies, Evans and on and on and on.

Is that a good enough reason?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Astounding.

The OP is praising Martinez on his eloquence and modesty, and within three posts, it turned into a Poyet-bashing thread - as if Poyet was relevant here.
As much as you are right.

Poyet and Martinez have more than a touch of ying & yang about them.

Had a thread about Pulis turned into Poyet-bashing within three posts you'd definitely have a point.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here