Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness World Records

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Is it me or have they got a bit more pointless over the last few years. I recall as a child getting the annual and reading up on the fastest car and longest jump etc.

Over the weekend at the London marathon 30 records were broken including

• The fastest ever person wearing an animal costume to complete a marathon.
  • The fastest marathon dressed as a television character
  • The fastest marathon dressed as a telephone box (no joke)
  • Longest crochet chain while running a marathon.
  • The fastest marathon by a marching band.

To me none of the above are acheivements worthy of a world record.

http://news.sky.com/story/1242395/london-marathon-30-new-world-records-set

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Two friends at Uni did the longest hand shake (33 hours) which was then broken by "professional record breakers" soon after. To think "professional record breakers" exist is surreal.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Two friends at Uni did the longest hand shake (33 hours) which was then broken by "professional record breakers" soon after. To think "professional record breakers" exist is surreal.

That must have been slightly awkward when they had to take a dump.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

We had to film a certain percentage of the 33 hours as proof and that did involve filming them take a leak. That was pretty awkward. Not sure if either of them took a dump though...

Edit: and when I say "film them take a leak" I mean filming them continuing to shake hands WHILST taking a leak...

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

We had to film a certain percentage of the 33 hours as proof and that did involve filming them take a leak. That was pretty awkward. Not sure if either of them took a dump though...

Edit: and when I say "film them take a leak" I mean filming them continuing to shake hands WHILST taking a leak...

Would have been more aquard if they didnt wash hands after.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
didn't one guy claim record for longest time taken to do the marathon, in an old diver's suit?

LM bods called foul, as the timing gear was dismantled long before he got round (days later?), so no 'official time'..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17465047

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Those kind of records are usually only records for the simple reason that nobody else has ever bothered trying to do whatever it is the holder has done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to like the glutony records. I recall one bloke held the world record for eating a shopping trolley. He also ate a plane. Sadly Guinness have now banned such feats. Spoil sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Lotito

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
didn't one guy claim record for longest time taken to do the marathon, in an old diver's suit?

You are almost correct The last bit is not true; Hove Born and Bred didnt wear a divers suit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here