Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should 'Commuter A' have been Prosecuted?

Should Commuter A have been Prosecuted?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm disappointed he did not refuse to give Southern anymore money stating he felt he had paid what he felt the shit they serve up is worth.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I pay over £4k a year for my train ticket, i want to see every fare dodger be thrown off so i can get a seat.

And those who put bags on the seat.

And those that arrive late and sneak into the q's from the sides.

And those that push me in the back.

And those that have their music on too loud.

And those that look at my laptop when i am working.

And those that can't figure out why their signal drops off when they enter a tunnel.

And those that eat stenching food next to me.

And those that don't respect the 50/50 elbow space on an arm rest.

And those that are just bleedin' rude.

And those that push past you in the vein hope that there is a magical carriage with no one in.

And those who's morbid obesity means i only have half a seat.

And those who don't move into the middle of the carriage when its busy standing.

And those that don't give up a seat to the elderly / pregnant / injured etc...

And those that don't let the people off first and try and push through the doors.

I could go on...

Apart from that though, you're reasonably happy with the service?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The smug tw*t shouldn't have been allowed to just pay the money back in two shakes of a lamb's tail and keep calm and carry on like nothing had happened. At the very least he should have been named and shamed, with all the consequences that follow. A criminal record might just have f*cked him up a little bit. Wasted opportunity by the railways.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The smug tw*t shouldn't have been allowed to just pay the money back in two shakes of a lamb's tail and keep calm and carry on like nothing had happened. At the very least he should have been named and shamed, with all the consequences that follow. A criminal record might just have f*cked him up a little bit. Wasted opportunity by the railways.

He should have been BANNED from travelling on SouthEastern trains, in the same way that a shoplifter gets banned from the shop they steal from. That would screw him over quite nicely.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Normally i'm the sort of chap who rejoices quietly when some bigwig gets caught in an act of greed, but not in this case so. I don't see his fine as unjust and demand he pays nowt in return, but i don't see bunkers on as some terrible criminal in contrast with myself as a perfect everytime buyer and follower of rules. I might be the latter, but that's usually down to a fear of confrontation rather than a man without possible sin in his heart. I'd rather we all got around at affordable rates and did so with just a few less barriers. I know this chap could afford it and didn't and is a representation of the self-inclinedness of the capitalist state, but i don't scream murder when someone's not paying to jump on a train that is not in the slightest luxury travel or clap a huge company for ensnaring someone they class as cheating the system nefariously from their faultless perspective.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just checked on South Eastern Railway site and a season ticket from Stonegate to London is £4548. Are the railway company saying he managed to avoid paying fares for 10 years?? :eek:

Surley there must be a massive gap in their processes if one individual can go unoticed for that ammount of time.

Not quite - 5 years. They made him pay 5 years worth of single fares each way (ie almost twice as much as a return at peak times) plus costs. Should have thrown the book at him but as mentioned above I think it's a civil matter so Southern will just be happy to get their cash, and the publicity. Would be interesting to see if there was a big spike in season ticket sales today. Really can't see how he got away with it for so long though - I reckon my ticket is checked at least 2-3 times per week.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If the railways had any self-respect they'd leak 'Commuter A' s identity via The Sun or The Mirror. Which hopefully will happen before the week is out. Hoorah!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Shocking decision by the train company.
If this feller is allowed to simply pay the outstanding fares (notwithstanding its a lot of money) then someone on benefits should be offered the same when they have been caught dodging the £5 odd fare from Bexhill to Eastbourne ?

not really. he's said fair cop and paid the full daily fare. pretty much same as anyone caught without a ticket by conductor, if they don't kick up a fuss (or make a "i was in a rush " plea), they have the money and pay there and then no more is heard of it.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
not really. he's said fair cop and paid the full daily fare. pretty much same as anyone caught without a ticket by conductor, if they don't kick up a fuss (or make a "i was in a rush " plea), they have the money and pay there and then no more is heard of it.

So your advice to season ticket holders is do not to pay unless you are unlucky enough to get caught?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
So your advice to season ticket holders is do not to pay unless you are unlucky enough to get caught?

When the 7am LA to LB is delayed by an hour or two, which has happened many times of the thousands of journeys I have made, I have never seen a Ticket Executive handing out 800 x £40 to us all at the barrier

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
He should have been BANNED from travelling on SouthEastern trains, in the same way that a shoplifter gets banned from the shop they steal from. That would screw him over quite nicely.

I am sure train companies through the courts could get individuals banned. Verbal abuse to staff etc.

Southeastern are as much failures as Southern though. They will be long gone when the franchise is up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am sure train companies through the courts could get individuals banned. Verbal abuse to staff etc.

Southeastern are as much failures as Southern though. They will be long gone when the franchise is up.

The Southern Franchise expands to be even bigger soon.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I pay over £4k a year for my train ticket, i want to see every fare dodger be thrown off so i can get a seat.

And those who put bags on the seat.

And those that arrive late and sneak into the q's from the sides.

And those that push me in the back.

And those that have their music on too loud.

And those that look at my laptop when i am working.

And those that can't figure out why their signal drops off when they enter a tunnel.

And those that eat stenching food next to me.

And those that don't respect the 50/50 elbow space on an arm rest.

And those that are just bleedin' rude.

And those that push past you in the vein hope that there is a magical carriage with no one in.

And those who's morbid obesity means i only have half a seat.

And those who don't move into the middle of the carriage when its busy standing.

And those that don't give up a seat to the elderly / pregnant / injured etc...

And those that don't let the people off first and try and push through the doors.

I could go on...

Nice rant :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you had gone on, would you have included :

And those with Apple earphones, which are useless

And those who constantly text but have keypad tones on

And those who simply have to make a call to MOAN about the DREADFUL train being 3 MINUTES late

And those that use laptops that have dodgy keys so they have to whack them really hard. All the way to London

And those that eat stuff, and then either leave the wrappers on the table or crumple it up and surreptitiously drop it on the floor

And those that eat and wipe their fingers on the seat

And those that put their coat on the luggage rack laid out to it's full length

Etc

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Prosecution. He deliberately avoided paying paying for a ticket he could well afford. certainly no mistake as according to the papers he had to get off and on at different points as part of the deliberate evasion. However, surely there should have been at least a few ticket inspectors on board once in a while over the 5 years ? I wonder if there are a few regular commuters looking a bit sweaty just now ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here