Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Hamer, next Brighton #1

CAFC4ME

Apr 11, 2014
Because he's not good enough as a no 1 Premier League keeper? No idea how good the Charlton keeper is but he looked distinctly average yesterday, I am used to seeing GREAT, world class even, saves from keepers when they play against Brighton.

I only had a quick look at the Leicester goal against us and I think Kuz should have done better, I may be wrong but lucky Bruno wasn't on the pitch to berate him :lolol:

Hamer is, um, OK. Prone to mistakes, but keepers are supposed to get better with experience. He (usually, not yesterday) has good distribution of the ball. He is out of contract at the end of the season so it might make economic sense for Brighton.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
You've said enough there. League One. League Two. As you say: Charlton fans watch him every week and they think he's average. I'm not saying we're going to be reaching for the stars ourselves when it comes to our next first choice keeper, nor am I suggesting that Hamer is poor. I just don't think he's the sort of keeper who's going to win your side promotion to the Premier League.

Edna, have you forgotten the size of his beard ???

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Remember him having a great game at Withdean for Brentford a few years ago! Was very impressed by him then!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Can't say I have been that impressed by Schmeichel, Kirkland, Camp, Robinson, Given etc. - and Hamer certainly didn't do enough yesterday to assure me that he is our future, especially if we have aspirations for the Premiership.

I'm mindful that Kuszchak had excellent games at Leicester and Blackburn. In other games he hasn't been seriously at fault for most of the goals conceded. He isn't perfect but there are no guarantees we'd find anyone significantly better so to be honest it would be simpler to extend his contract, assuming a reasonable deal can be achieved. I would give Walton the chance to be mentored as his deputy.

However if the speculation on here is correct (with emphasis on the 'if'......) and it turns out TK really wants an unrealistic contract and/or is threatening to walk away then so be it, move him on. That cannot be tolerated from anyone. I certainly wasn't a fan of his recent statements to the media about contract negotiations and encouraging interest from Prem clubs, but if that is just expressing his ambition to play in the Prem again then I would challenge him to do it with us.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Remember him having a great game at Withdean for Brentford a few years ago! Was very impressed by him then!

Was very good down here last season too. If the Charlton fans don't rate him, though, he's unlikely to be mustard.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Can't say I have been that impressed by Schmeichel, Kirkland, Camp, Robinson, Given etc. - and Hamer certainly didn't do enough yesterday to assure me that he is our future, especially if we have aspirations for the Premiership.

I'm mindful that Kuszchak had excellent games at Leicester and Blackburn. In other games he hasn't been seriously at fault for most of the goals conceded. He isn't perfect but there are no guarantees we'd find anyone significantly better so to be honest it would be simpler to extend his contract, assuming a reasonable deal can be achieved. I would give Walton the chance to be mentored as his deputy.

You're a hard man to impress! Koosh has been excellent all season and the goalkeepers you list are the best outside the Prem.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
You're a hard man to impress! Koosh has been excellent all season and the goalkeepers you list are the best outside the Prem.

Yes I am - especially when it comes to goalkeepers. We've put 7 goals past Schmeichel this season and could easily have been more. Robinson and Given looked iffy against us. Plus with our misfiring attack until recently several opposing keepers have been let off lightly, so can't say there is a really outstanding candidate to be our next no.1, especially in the Prem.

We already have a decent keeper with Prem experience and would stick with him, assuming he hasn't already burnt his bridges with us. Meanwhile TK should mentor Walton as his potential successor.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yes I am - especially when it comes to goalkeepers. We've put 7 goals past Schmeichel this season and could easily have been more. Robinson and Given looked iffy against us. Plus with our misfiring attack until recently several opposing keepers have been let off lightly, so can't say there is a really outstanding candidate to be our next no.1, especially in the Prem.

We already have a decent keeper with Prem experience and would stick with him, assuming he hasn't already burnt his bridges with us. Meanwhile TK should mentor Walton as his potential successor.

Think that's harsh on the 'Big Dane'. Wasn't exactly helped out by his defenders either time they played us. Think Kirkland and Camp are excellent at this level and could make the step up no problem (look at how that clown Speroni has done a decent job at palace). Tbh, aside from the top teams, I don't think the standards a lot better in the league above and would have thought most of our players could play adequately at that level. Fingers crossed Koosh stays but it's looking likely that he won't. I think Anks will stay and mentor Walton. Don't know who we'll get in but it won't be Hamer.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I do give credit to Speroni. That finger tip reaction save from Barnes late on in the 2nd play off game probably sealed the outcome and gave them the confidence to go on and win the final too.

If Barnes had scored we would have been in the ascendant and snatched the win................. Just goes to show how pivotal a decent and in form keeper can be.

Speroni has carried that form into the Prem (grrrrrr).

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Just watched the highlights of Burnley v Middlesboro on TFLS.
Have to say very impressed with Dimi Konstantopoulos. MOM for me.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Schmeichel
Heaton
Green
Legzdins
Grant
Al-Habsi
Carson
Federici
McCarthy
Darlow
Gerken
Loach
Kuszczak
Camp
Almunia
Robinson
Konstantopoulos
Jason Steele
Given
Kirkland
Butland
Kenny
Smithies
Bogdan
Lonergan
Johnstone
Gilks
Randolph
Hamer
Luke Steele
Forde
Štěch

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
IF we get promoted then we should chuck 30k a week in Lukas Fabianski's direction. Would be the best goalkeeper this club ever had. And he's available on a free.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Hamer is a decent Championship keeper, if signing him on less wages than TK can facilitate extra funds for a winger then I'd be happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here