Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Hamer, next Brighton #1

Mar 2, 2014
Hamer_3017432.jpg

This man will take over from Tomas Kuszczak in the summer, when he flounces off to be a number 2 at a Premier League club.

There was nothing he could have done about the goals yesterday, although the kick for the first was clearly a bit rubbish, everything else he did was smashing. And what a beard on the man.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hear that 3 Prem clubs are chasing him. Can't see him coming here.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Charlton fans don't think he's all that. There's a thread on their forum all about him, in which he's described as an average lower half Championship goalkeeper.

Great.

Mar 2, 2014
I can't agree with that, Edna. I respect their opinion, they see him more than we do, but he was in goal for Brentford when they won League 2. He was in goal for Charlton when they won League 1 in more style even than we did. He is good with his feet, which is important for a team like ours, and is young enough to keep improving. Also, I doubt he would command a wage anywhere near that of Kuszczak, which is important for the bottom line numbers. We need to evolve the squad in the summer, we need to replace some of the older guard for the benefit of the team.

With regards to Shay Given, he has been a top goalkeeper and if the motivation is still there then he's a great short term option for someone. But I don't think that is the route we should be going down, I think we should be looking to build a team which will improve together. Stephens was a brilliant addition for that reason, and with the emergence of March and Ince, with Dunk capable of stepping into the first team as well - there is a nucleus of a team for the next three or four seasons which is what you need for sustainable success.

And again, you have to think about the wage budget. We all know Upson has been a great signing, but he's a short term option on relatively big wages. I would be more comfortable with elevating Dunk and with another one or two centre backs coming, but reducing the average age of the squad. Greer and Upson continue to be brilliant for us, as does Bruno, but does Oscar want them? Or would he prefer a younger and more dynamic squad? Whatever he wants, he should be backed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I can't agree with that, Edna. I respect their opinion, they see him more than we do, but he was in goal for Brentford when they won League 2. He was in goal for Charlton when they won League 1 in more style even than we did. He is good with his feet, which is important for a team like ours, and is young enough to keep improving. Also, I doubt he would command a wage anywhere near that of Kuszczak, which is important for the bottom line numbers. We need to evolve the squad in the summer, we need to replace some of the older guard for the benefit of the team.

You've said enough there. League One. League Two. As you say: Charlton fans watch him every week and they think he's average. I'm not saying we're going to be reaching for the stars ourselves when it comes to our next first choice keeper, nor am I suggesting that Hamer is poor. I just don't think he's the sort of keeper who's going to win your side promotion to the Premier League.

Mar 2, 2014
I don't think that is fair, Edna. Players improve with experience. Ricky Lambert was a League 1 player when Southampton bought him, but he's a good Premier League striker now. I'm not sure how old Hamer is, but he must be 25/26/27? Goalkeepers peak older, and the more he plays at a better standard the better he will become. I liked what I saw yesterday. I also think that fans of the club will always be the harshest critics of players. Ankergren is a decent goalkeeper, but our fans would have you believe he is useless.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously- are you his agent? Or his Dad?

You cannot judge a goalkeeper on one game against us! With respect, I'll take the opinion of fans who've watched him for several seasons.

The best keepers in our league this season must include Lee Camp, presumably Kasper Schmeichel, Chris Kirkland and Alex McCarthy. Granted, none of them are going to be signing for us any time soon, so we'd have to look downwards, but even so.

I put Hamer in the same sort of category as Alex Smithies, Luke Steele, David Forde. Lower half standard. I'm really not saying he's bad. Just that he's not first class.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No thanks.

What is it with this strange beard look? I have seen a few blokes with this type of bushy beard around ,all clones.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Walton looks like one helluva keeper from all u21 highlights.

Wouldn't mind him starting for us next season.

Could be worth £6-8M with one full season at his age.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The next look for footballers to go with multiple tattoos and the brush over hairstyle.

' orrible beard'. :eek:

There a lot of Hitler hair going on in the footballer community lately, it has to be said. Darlow of Forest is particularly keen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here