Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Warwickshire v Sussex, Edgbaston, 13-16 April, LCCC Div 1***

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Terrible stuff. Notts have the same batting points having won a game less. Our shower need to improve big time.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
2 flukes don't make a summer

more like a MASSIVE intestinal infection

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Another very impressive display. A pal who is well acquainted with Scottish cricket (he reports for a few of the local papers up here) tells me that Matt Macon is one of the best new emerging talents that the Scottish Cricketing cogniscente have seen play for Scotland since the days of Dougie Brown. Brighton born I believe with a Scottish parent.

TNBA

TTF

So we have Scotland's best batsman? Shows how far we've fallen.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Been busy this week. Thought yesterday was Day 4. Shocked and happy to see it hadn't ended in a draw yesterday!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Alan Melville
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/46221.html

MELVILLE, ALAN, who died in the Kruger National Park on April 18, 1983, aged 72, was arguably the most elegant batsman of his generation. Those who were lucky enough to see it still remember after 50 years his innings of 114 in two and a half hours for Sussex against the West Indians at Hove in 1933. It was the summer after the body-line tour and the fast bowlers, Griffith and Martindale, assailed him with vicious bouncers. They might have been serving up by request something to amuse him and the spectators. They were mercilessly hooked and, if they pitched the ball up, they were driven. Even granted the placid Hove wicket, it was a remarkable display. Years afterwards, meeting him at Lord's at a time when short-pitched fast bowling was being constantly discussed, I asked him if he had ever ducked to it. He smiled sweetly and said, I don't think so. I think either I hit them or they hit me! From what I saw of him I doubt if he was ever hit by anything that rose high enough to be hooked.

46220.html

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Alan Melville
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/46221.html

MELVILLE, ALAN, who died in the Kruger National Park on April 18, 1983, aged 72, was arguably the most elegant batsman of his generation. Those who were lucky enough to see it still remember after 50 years his innings of 114 in two and a half hours for Sussex against the West Indians at Hove in 1933. It was the summer after the body-line tour and the fast bowlers, Griffith and Martindale, assailed him with vicious bouncers. They might have been serving up by request something to amuse him and the spectators. They were mercilessly hooked and, if they pitched the ball up, they were driven. Even granted the placid Hove wicket, it was a remarkable display. Years afterwards, meeting him at Lord's at a time when short-pitched fast bowling was being constantly discussed, I asked him if he had ever ducked to it. He smiled sweetly and said, I don't think so. I think either I hit them or they hit me! From what I saw of him I doubt if he was ever hit by anything that rose high enough to be hooked.

46220.html

I always though Wally Hammond played for Sussex, but see he was always Gloucestershire, but he died around the same area in South Africa as Alan Melville.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Our flukey victory has given Mr Trott a relapse.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/27074522

Jonathan Trott: England batsman to take another break from cricket

England batsman Jonathan Trott is to take a break from cricket after a recurrence of the anxiety issues that forced him to leave the Ashes series.
Trott, 32, left England's Australia tour in November, because of a "long-standing stress-related condition".
He played a county game for Warwickshire this week, but said: "To my disappointment I've felt the same anxieties that occurred in Australia.
"It is not fair to continue when I am unable to function at 100%."
Trott, who recently spoke of his intention to resume his international career, has played 49 Tests for England.
Trott has scored 3,763 runs at an average of 46.45 in 49 Test appearances and hit nine centuries.
But in the recent Ashes series in Australia he only managed a total of 19 runs in two innings during the Brisbane Test in November.
Trott has also represented England in 68 one-day internationals and seven Twenty20 matches.
There has been confusion about the exact nature of the illness, since the player himself said in interviews in March that he was "burnt out" and "emotionally and mentally spent".
However, that led to some media criticism with former England skipper Michael Vaughan saying he felt "conned" by the England and Wales Cricket Board's explanation for Trott's departure from Australia.
The South African-born batsman is understood to be keen to stress that he has a genuine medical condition and is upset with Vaughan's comments.
However, following Trott's statement that he is taking another break, Vaughan tweeted: "Very sad and I wish him a full recovery."
Trott recently said he was feeling "refreshed" after enjoying a family break and that he was looking forward to getting back to action.
In an announcement on the ECB's website, Trott added: "I have decided it is best for all involved that I continue my recovery on the sidelines for the time being.
"I would like to thank Warwickshire and the ECB for their continued support through this time."
The ECB's chief medical officer Dr. Nick Peirce said: "Despite Jonathan wanting to play for Warwickshire from the start of the season, having spent time with him yesterday it is clear that he will benefit from a further period away from the game.
"He will continue with the comprehensive support programme the ECB has put in place to assist his rehabilitation."
Trott scored 37 and 26 in Warwickshire's seven-wicket defeat by Sussex, but it is unclear when he will play cricket again.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Our flukey victory has given Mr Trott a relapse.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/27074522

Jonathan Trott: England batsman to take another break from cricket

England batsman Jonathan Trott is to take a break from cricket after a recurrence of the anxiety issues that forced him to leave the Ashes series.
Trott, 32, left England's Australia tour in November, because of a "long-standing stress-related condition".
He played a county game for Warwickshire this week, but said: "To my disappointment I've felt the same anxieties that occurred in Australia.
"It is not fair to continue when I am unable to function at 100%."
Trott, who recently spoke of his intention to resume his international career, has played 49 Tests for England.
Trott has scored 3,763 runs at an average of 46.45 in 49 Test appearances and hit nine centuries.
But in the recent Ashes series in Australia he only managed a total of 19 runs in two innings during the Brisbane Test in November.
Trott has also represented England in 68 one-day internationals and seven Twenty20 matches.
There has been confusion about the exact nature of the illness, since the player himself said in interviews in March that he was "burnt out" and "emotionally and mentally spent".
However, that led to some media criticism with former England skipper Michael Vaughan saying he felt "conned" by the England and Wales Cricket Board's explanation for Trott's departure from Australia.
The South African-born batsman is understood to be keen to stress that he has a genuine medical condition and is upset with Vaughan's comments.
However, following Trott's statement that he is taking another break, Vaughan tweeted: "Very sad and I wish him a full recovery."
Trott recently said he was feeling "refreshed" after enjoying a family break and that he was looking forward to getting back to action.
In an announcement on the ECB's website, Trott added: "I have decided it is best for all involved that I continue my recovery on the sidelines for the time being.
"I would like to thank Warwickshire and the ECB for their continued support through this time."
The ECB's chief medical officer Dr. Nick Peirce said: "Despite Jonathan wanting to play for Warwickshire from the start of the season, having spent time with him yesterday it is clear that he will benefit from a further period away from the game.
"He will continue with the comprehensive support programme the ECB has put in place to assist his rehabilitation."
Trott scored 37 and 26 in Warwickshire's seven-wicket defeat by Sussex, but it is unclear when he will play cricket again.

Sad news all around, he is such a talented cricketer, lets hope he gets well soon and can focus on playing the sport he is so good as. Perhaps one day he may find Sussex the perfect location to live and play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here