Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players that take their shirts off ,why do they do it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Definitely booked, but took a little while. Ref patted him on the arse as he did it, as if to say 'sorry Jake, you know the rules etc'

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Pointlessly harsh. The inevitable booking was irrelevant. He was happy and celebrated. He's 19 for gawd's sake.

Exactly, one of the worst FIFA rulings in the book. What harm is it doing anyone. Jump in the crowd and celebrate with the fans with your shirt off I say. But no, FIFA want them to keep their shirts on because it's all about the money and the shirt sponsorship deals :nono: PATHETIC!

Meanwhile, players can pretty much swear at the refs and officials all game and get away with it. Great example that sets to the kids about 'respect'. Football authorities wouldn't know a respect campaign if it hit them between the eyes.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Exactly, one of the worst FIFA rulings in the book. What harm is it doing anyone. Jump in the crowd and celebrate with the fans with your shirt off I say. But no, FIFA want them to keep their shirts on because it's all about the money and the shirt sponsorship deals :nono: PATHETIC!

Meanwhile, players can pretty much swear at the refs and officials all game and get away with it. Great example that sets to the kids about 'respect'. Football authorities wouldn't know a respect campaign if it hit them between the eyes.

That is an excellent point about the swearing and behaviour towards the officials. How it the world of all things common sense can it be a booking for removing a shirt, when its perfectly acceptable to surround the ref and shout and swear, call other players a 'CVNT' and act like a spoilt child just because they don't agree with a decision!

Pathetic....get a grip of the real issues first!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But no, FIFA want them to keep their shirts on because it's all about the money and the shirt sponsorship deals :nono: PATHETIC!

FIFA receives no money from shirt sponsorship. there is no organisation representing sponsors interests to FIFA. with this in mind, do you really think FIFA give a monkey's toss about any affect on shirt sponsors?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
FIFA receives no money from sponsorship. there is no organisation representing sponsors interests to FIFA. with this in mind, do you really think FIFA give a monkey's toss about any affect on shirt sponsors?

I note that reading back through the thread now you claim it's to dissuade political slogans on t shirts worn underneath. That seems like a reasonable explanation, I admit, however the cynic in me can't trust FIFA not to be on the make somewhere along the way with any pie they can stick their grubby finger in.

The political argument is also called into question when everyone starts having a minutes silence for Mandela. In my personal Politics, I'm right in Mandela's corner, but that decision was simply wrong and as overtly political as it gets I'm afraid.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Great points, but he knows the rules and shouldn't have done it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Does this card mean JFC is banned for a game?

No great loss as he makes Keith Andrews look like Zico....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... however the cynic in me can't trust FIFA not to be on the make somewhere along the way with any pie they can stick their grubby finger in.

thats the nub of the matter really, there's no pie for them to put their finger in so why would they bother. interesting point about Mandela, i suppose he simply transcends conventional politics.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
No. Odd comment.

Why? You not noticed his game recently consists of a mix of 5 yard negative passes and a mixture of nothing and running about a bit? Without his goal today I would have forgotten he was even on the pitch

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
thats the nub of the matter really, there's no pie for them to put their finger in so why would they bother. interesting point about Mandela, i suppose he simply transcends conventional politics.

FIFA support both the Kick It Out campaign and the anti-homophobia campaigns which one of its oldest, most important members endorses. Regardless of what ever opinion you hold both are or have been political issues. FIFA supporting the Gay Marrige law out right however would be its definition of a political support and therefore forbidden.

Mandela, regardless of his methods was a fighter for equality of race - his political stance wasn't pro or anti any particular bill. His movement wasn't a political one, it was one of basic human rights which for me personally is aligned with FIFA's goals of football being an open game.

But that's down to interpretation.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

It's a fair point and so I'll just concede the argument. Does make you wonder then why they don't just impose severe sanctions on players if they display any kind of slogan but just let exuberance go and accept it as part of the game.

I see exactly where you're coming from on Mandela too, and as an exceptional human being I think yes, he did transcend conventional politics. However, witnessing minutes silences being imposed even at kids games in England felt a bit ridiculous and didn't sit well with me.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It's a fair point and so I'll just concede the argument. Does make you wonder then why they don't just impose severe sanctions on players if they display any kind of slogan but just let exuberance go and accept it as part of the game.

I see exactly where you're coming from on Mandela too, and as an exceptional human being I think yes, he did transcend conventional politics. However, witnessing minutes silences being imposed even at kids games in England felt a bit ridiculous and didn't sit well with me.

That's a bit odd. The kids game bit I mean. Something not quite right but on the flip side football can teach people new things and it may be a chance to however I think it is a bit... OTT to do it at a kids game.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Why? You not noticed his game recently consists of a mix of 5 yard negative passes and a mixture of nothing and running about a bit? Without his goal today I would have forgotten he was even on the pitch

Just seems odd to get at him the day he comes on as sub and scores.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's a bit odd. The kids game bit I mean. Something not quite right but on the flip side football can teach people new things and it may be a chance to however I think it is a bit... OTT to do it at a kids game.

My lad played in a run of the mill Sussex Sunday Youth League U15's game at Waterhall that day and the ref had them all observing the minutes silence. I also found it odd. Had it been a cup final or something then at an extreme push I could sort have understood it, bit as it was it felt imposed and out of place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here