Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Jake Forster-Caskey booked today ...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
... for taking off his shirt after scoring? I haven't seen it reported anywhere, but I thought such a thing was an automatic yellow card?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Most of the time, it's a stupid thing to do by the goalscorer but it didn't matter today as was the 93rd minute and JFC is not close to a suspension.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
This is a ridiculous rule. Fair enough if you are not wearing anything under your shirt, but he was. Players can celebrate in front of opposition fans, goad them and almost cause a riot without being booked, but taking your shirt off is a booking?!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is a ridiculous rule. Fair enough if you are not wearing anything under your shirt, but he was. Players can celebrate in front of opposition fans, goad them and almost cause a riot without being booked, but taking your shirt off is a booking?!

Not saying I agree with rule nor do I understand that in the moment of scoring the first thing that comes into your mind is to take your shirt off but there is a difference between this and the example you gave. It is quite clear and obvious when you take your shirt off however it is a matter of opinion whether your goal celebrations are inciting the opposition fans because if you are and the ref believes you are then he can book you.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
My understanding is that it's a yellow because of shirt sponsors etc... Is that correct?

If so it seems that a fine would be a lot fairer punishment - gets the point across without having any effect on the game.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I am more concerned about how stupid professional footballers are - knowing they will get booked if they do it.

Maybe some do it so that they can turn it around and have their name on show when they are photographed celebrating? -JFC was holding it up backwards towards the crowd after he took it off. It was the last few seconds of the game, so a second yellow was unlikely and he isn't close to being banned for too many yellows in a season so he probably thought why not?

Makes you wonder why it is a bookable offence though, it wouldn't surprise me if it has something to do with sponsorship deals and money, if a player takes their shirt off when celebrating, the sponsor is no longer visible on the front of the shirt and therefore no longer seen of any highlights coverage or in any photos photos of the player celebrating that may be seen around the world and if the days of money, money, money it wouldn't surprise me if it was a rule brought in to ensure any sponsor gets maximum coverage.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
If you took your shirt off and had an identical duplicate on underneath would you still get booked?

I've actually seen a video on youtube some time of this, and yes the ref did book him! Was quite funny!

Also I always thought they bought in the bookings because someone (possibly Forlan but could be well wrong there) took his shirt off to celebrate, but then managed to muck up his t shirt, and took absolutely ages to put it back on so wasted time, so that's why it became a bookable offence.

Edit: http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/w...pping-off-shirt-had-another-shirt-underneath/

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The 2 twats behind me in WSU were going MENTAL at him for doing that. They didn't even celebrate just started calling him a ****ing idiot, blah blah. Worst thing is they are grown men in their 30s/40s..

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
My understanding is that it's a yellow because of shirt sponsors etc... Is that correct?

If so it seems that a fine would be a lot fairer punishment - gets the point across without having any effect on the game.

Pretty sure that's the reason.

Obviously a player celebrating (especially if its an important goal) is a money shot and we'll be shown over and over again on TV. You'd probably be quite pissed off if you'd spent a fortune sponsoring a team just for your logo to be scrunched up on the floor miles away.

It does raise the question though - Why is it a bookable offence during International games where the teams aren't sponsored?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here