Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton ... Worst team we've seen at the Amex this season?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That performance from Charlton had the look of a side very close to relegation. There was no real passion or hunger to die for their cause. They will really have to raise their game if they hope to get something out of their game against Barnsley, who are putting in their usual late fight for survival.

I know Poyet is a youngster and I'm sure he will come good - but at times he looked out of his depth today with two or three horrible errors, including giving us a goal.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
their official twitter feed is also quite... interesting:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 8h
Alex Dyer and Karel Fraeye confront the assistant referee as they walk off. Replays show Brighton's second was well offside. (IL) #CAFCLive

Apparently it's taken the Brighton fans 40 minutes to twig that Diego Poyet is Gus's son. First few boos for the midfielder. (IL) #CAFCLive

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Sacking Powell hasn't had the desired effect obviously. They were abject.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
I was hopeful after my Charlton season ticket friend told me that away from home they sit back and invite pressure.
We cannot cope with pressing teams and thankfully we didn't have to cope with a team that had done their homework on this occasion.

I do worry a little about the Yeovil game as they will have little to play for and play high tempo, pressing game.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Having slated (quite justifiably) Charlton's number 8, I've just remembered that he will, barring injury, be playing for Iran at the World Cup in Brazil this summer.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic stays at home, Reza Ghoochannejad, the lumbering, clumsy Charlton Athletic fringe striker, goes to the World Cup.

Football. It's a cruel sport at times, isn't it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
When a game is so one sided it can't always be a classic. Some people are never happy. Expect a few more boring games coming up..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They may well be the worst side so far, but they won't be the worst side this season.

I can comfortably predict Blackpool will be worseerer.
Yeovil will already be relegated, but I think they will put up a better show.

Add to that Huddersfield have no central defenders, and Forest have had their guts ripped out.

We are truly blessed.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Worst side I've seen this season . How did they win league 1 ? Their fans also absolute shit . Disgrace charlton

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
their official twitter feed is also quite... interesting:

Alex Dyer and Karel Fraeye confront the assistant referee as they walk off. Replays show Brighton's second was well offside. (IL) #CAFCLive

Apparently it's taken the Brighton fans 40 minutes to twig that Diego Poyet is Gus's son. First few boos for the midfielder. (IL) #CAFCLive

Two quite ridiculous statements. And both incorrect. Ulloa was onside and there were a few boos for Diego from the start.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Charlton were comedy from the 2 blokes on the touchline who got lost from a wedding party, reza with his comedy name and performance right down to Poyet losing the ball for our first goal. They were proper shit.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They may well be the worst side so far, but they won't be the worst side this season.

Add to that Huddersfield have no central defenders, and Forest have had their guts ripped out.

We are truly blessed.

We're loose.

Heard yesterday that one of the Albion players got a text from a Leicester City defender on Tuesday evening saying that they'd been on a two & a half day bender following promotion, and that if we didn't beat them it would be ridiculous.

Are we getting amazingly lucky with the way the fixtures are panning out?

Can sometimes work the other way, of course- Yeovil might play with no fear or pressure if they're already relegated, and possibly Blackpool/Forest the same if their seasons are already over.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

We are truly blessed.

Agreed re Blackpool, even Leeds beat them!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Heard yesterday that one of the Albion players got a text from a Leicester City defender on Tuesday evening saying that they'd been on a two & a half day bender following promotion, and that if we didn't beat them it would be ridiculous.

Really! Ha ha. No real surprise there. Let's hope they have the celebrating out of their system tomorrow night.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Really! Ha ha. No real surprise there. Let's hope they have the celebrating out of their system tomorrow night.

You'd hope so. They probably got a bit of a bollocking for Tuesday's showing even if it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Two quite ridiculous statements. And both incorrect. Ulloa was onside and there were a few boos for Diego from the start.

Must have been posted by the very upset Charlton commentator/co commentator I mentioned earlier on the "how offside was our second goal" thread

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
They were an absolute disgrace, I feel sorry for the Charlton fans if they have to put up with that turd every week.

CAFC4ME

Apr 11, 2014
Awful side . Awful attitude when losing as well .

Not going to make any excuses, but somehow feel the need to explain.
We have had a turbulent season to say the least, no strengthening up front in the close season, and then a change of ownership, who promptly sold Kermogant and then Stephens to your good selves. Following that Chris Powell was sacked, and two strangers were appointed, yesterday was their tenth game in charge. Weirdly we enjoyed the parallel phenomena of a cup run and a relegation battle in the last days of Chris Powell, which led to the proverbial fixture pile up which we are now having to cope with.
Loads of games and no strikers to call on effectively, so we are having to try to limp through the rest of the season and survive. We have been losing weekend games, and winning midweek ones recently, and I suppose there was little point in going hell for leather at Brighton with a game looming Tuesday. The plan to try to hold out was then lost when a mistake by young Diego opened the door for Brighton, as soon as you scored you had the game won, our players knew it, so did not try much so as to preserve energy!
That of course was disrespectful to our travelling support, and I doubt there was much motivation to get behind the team given the emotional and spiritual battering we have had this season. Then Charlton dickheads started giving it 'in house' as it were, which usually isn't the kind of thing our support goes in for.
Yeah we were pretty crap, although it is amusing that some of you call Reza 'lumbering', and despite the fact he is a lightweight I wish he was good enough, or a threat enough to even earn the epithet 'lumbering'. Diego obviously felt some kind of guilt about his dad, so gifted you the first goal, don't rush to judgement about him on that display, I have seen him a lot, and he is a decent player for a lad not yet 19 and one week old. A few Brighton fans booed him I noticed, on the stream I was watching.
We hope we can be less crap in the future, the wheel turns and all that, as Brighton fans know only too well, it may be more competitive sometime soon, and we won against you on Boxing day, so somewhere within us there is a decent enough team playing at a decent enough club.
Anyway this is a Brighton forum, and our troubles are of scant interest here. I will say again that whoever is responsible for getting BHA from the loss of the Goldstone debacle, to where you are now is, or are, absolute heroes. I hope for your sake you have money and are not making huge losses so you don't go backwards. the stadium is great, the facilities are great, and you have a fine club to grace your city, and the fact that it is the single footballing focus for the area is to your huge advantage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here