Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes silence

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You have a point. I think the difference is that at Hillsborough the police tried to blame the victims and attempted to pervert the course of justice but altering witness statement accounts. This heaping more misery into a tragedy. But for those lies people would just remember a terrible disaster but now there is a whole lot more around it. If the police had just said "we got a few things wrong", held their hands up instead of telling disgraceful lies (not one policeman - an entire police force) then things would be remembered in a different way. Bradford didnt have that issue.

I remember watching the Bradford report on the BBC, live, and the poor old man with his head alight,and the commentator saying" That poor man, someone help him" Really broke me up at the time, I believe he died about a week later

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Why don't all English football clubs remember the poor souls in the Bradford Fire?

It was an awful event observed on live TV, the fans were a victim of poor infrastructure. As for Hillsboro I hope the inquest is balanced and all things are considered

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why don't all English football clubs remember the poor souls in the Bradford Fire?

totally agree. Not sure why but I didn't like to playing of You'll never walk alone today, nor the wearing of Liverpool scarves at a Brighton/Charlton match. I suppose it's cos I like to have private, not public reflections.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On the start of Match of the Day just now, they had footage of the tributes from around the country.

West Bromwich Albion had their two big furry mascots standing with the players in the centre circle for the minute. I'm sure it was meant well, but there's something deeply incongruous about a bloke in a giant comedy bird suit attempting to be part of a poignant tribute to 96 dead souls.

I say this- I can't remember Gully being on the pitch for ours- I'd certainly hope he wasn't.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
On the start of Match of the Day just now, they had footage of the tributes from around the country.

West Bromwich Albion had their two big furry mascots standing with the players in the centre circle for the minute. I'm sure it was meant well, but there's something deeply incongruous about a bloke in a giant comedy bird suit attempting to be part of a poignant tribute to 96 dead souls.

I say this- I can't remember Gully being on the pitch for ours- I'd certainly hope he wasn't.

Gully wasn't on the pitch

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

May I offer a slightly different view point: a fair few mums and dads had the "chat" with their children about Hillsborough today. To an adult of sound mind it might look a tad ridiculous having grown men in fuzzy suits with the players but those mascots provide an opening for children to at least understand that some things in football are more serious than the game its self. To you or I it's odd but to a child, seeing one of the most identifiable icons go through the silence in dignity can be powerful.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To you or I it's odd but to a child, seeing one of the most identifiable icons go through the silence in dignity can be powerful.

Fair enough :thumbsup: I would only question how much "dignity" a bloke in a big furry suit with a fixed grin stitched on it can project.

It's no big deal, I wouldn't expect anybody to be offended or upset by it, I just thought it slightly odd.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Fair enough :thumbsup: I would only question how much "dignity" a bloke in a big furry suit with a fixed grin stitched on it can project.

It's no big deal, I wouldn't expect anybody to be offended or upset by it, I just thought it slightly odd.

Yeah, seeing the gully family go through it would be a tad surreal but in the ESL and ESU it might provide an open avenue to explain wehre football came from. Start as you mean to go on and all that. I think a club can take it or leave it - If they take it then it must be done is as good taste as it possibly can. IF they leave it then no harm done.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
totally agree. Not sure why but I didn't like to playing of You'll never walk alone today, nor the wearing of Liverpool scarves at a Brighton/Charlton match. I suppose it's cos I like to have private, not public reflections.

Respect your point of view but thought the playing of "YNWA" was poignant.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Respect your point of view but thought the playing of "YNWA" was poignant.

It sent shivers down my spine - it was a song about not being alone on a day when as a sport in this nation, we come together to remember those who sadly never went home after the left.

I hope the club do something for Bradford's Fire.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Does make me feel better that the bloke was trying to start the justice chant though. Completely the wrong thing to do but I heard the shout and thought it was someone being very disrespectful and shouting something to be 'funny'.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I must agree with the comments on the playing of You'll never walk alone it brought tears to my eyes and i thought the minutes silence was magnificently observed apart from that guy who shouted right at the beginning. When you consider the amount of children attending i have nothing but upmost respect for the parents/guardians and these young ones for their behaviour the silence of all was deafening and very poignant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here