Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dogs on undercliff walk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Too many dog owners are irresponsible idiots. My house fronts onto a public footpath and recently a dog off a lead ran into my garden and grabbed my cat in its jaws. When I shouted at the owner to get their dog off my *^%$("@ garden I was met with abuse and how dare I shout at them. They even sent their mother in law round to complain that I had shouted. Why do these people think their dogs have a right to run around unleashed. Hope your kids are OK.

And cat owners are fully aware of what their pets are up to when the let them out at night!!!!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I think dog owners in general love their dogs, and in turn think that everyone else will love them too.

I've had dogs completely destroy a picnic on the beach only for some ditty women to come over and say, 'oh isn't she a naughty doggy' to the dog! Not to me. I was f__king livid, and in the end I was so mad the women (bless her to be honest), went to the shop and bought us a load of sandwiches and stuff back.

Still, though, you get these dogs bothering you sniffing about, and the owners don't really do much - I think they think they're going you a favour by letting you have the chance to pet their dog, I really do. It really winds me up. I don't want you're horrible little mutt near me thanks, so keep the thing under control!

And all other football managers of young teams will also know about the 15min pitch preparation that has to be done before each match so our kids don't have to do sliding tackles through dogs mess every weekend.

Man's best friend my arse.

Surprised the Argus hasn't picked up on your story

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Great thread. It's like a meeting of Dislike Dogs Anonymous. I didn't realize there were so many of us.

Experienced pretty much all of the above. Also the amount of footballs I lost as a kid down the park when a random dog sank its jaws into it.
Not once did a dog owner offer to pay for a new one they would usually just laugh.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
This is probably the best and only foolproof option.

I am slightly biased due to me being seriously allergic to dogs.However, if I walked down North Street and periodically stopped, licked my balls and then ran over to a passer by and licked her/his face, then I would in all probability be arrested. So how come it is acceptable for digs to do this?
We pay far too much attention to pets; in particular dogs and cats.

Ban em!

TNBA

TTF

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So, I'm having a nice stroll along the undercliff between Rottingdean and Saltdean with my 2 young daughters. They are on their bicycles. A woman with what I think were Bull Mastiffs comes along in the opposite direction, both dogs are off the lead. I tell my girls to slow and I walk alongside them and we pass the dogs. Then as I thought we were clear of the dogs one turns around and chases and jumps up at my youngest, the dog is barking aggressively, I then kick the dog (more of a push with my foot), my daughter had fallen off her bike so I pick her up. At this point the dogs run off and the woman gives me an earful about kicking her dog, with the most colourful language. I then tell the woman that she's an effing stupid Cow and should have her dogs on the lead and if she can't control them, she shouldn't be allowed to have them. I then said I would kill the dogs in they attacked my kids again.
The long and the short is yes I know this woman was scum, but it begs the question, what to do with dogs that are off the lead in public places? My kids don't want to go on the undercliff walk again, which is a shame. I must admit it's put me off too.

Any thoughts? How can this type of incident be stopped?
I think either a mass cull of all dogs or a undercliff warden that can issue on the spot fines for dogs off the lead. A few weeks of that should stop it.

Very shocked at what happened to you and your family here and I agree this dog owner is scum.

It's a shame that some dog owners give others a bad name, I'm not a dog owner but I really enjoy walking a friends dog and i have used the under cliff walk you are talking about and have seen plenty of responsible dog owners down there.

Not sure if there is a law down there that says dogs have to be on a lead, I don't keep the dog I walk on a lead when on the under cliff, but this dog is very well trained and when I have seen a cyclist approaching I have made sure she is walking very close to me, she doesn't take any notice of bikes or other people anyway.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As a runner for the best part of 20 years, I have had far too many run ins with dogs and their irresponsible owners to mention. Jack Russells are, in my experience, the biggest wankers. They should be first in line to be culled, closely followed by those yappy dogs that are about the same size as cats.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Cycled that route many times and have had plenty of incidents with dogs trying to attack me running in the way etc, it usually followed by an owners saying I shouldn't be cycling...**** off I'm a tax paying human not a four legged shitting machine :angry:. Also running had some stupid cow have a go because I wasn't happy her precious pooch was jumping up at me, we don't all love your dogs like you do for ****s sake!

Also it's lovely that there steaming presents are left on the pavement like outside my office this morning, nice thanks for that!

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Still..... dogs are preferable to cats with their bird killing, neighbours garden shitting and bin bag ripping activities.

No there not. You dont find many people and kids being attacked by cats or cowering on the undercliff when one appears. Some people seem to use their dog as an offensive weapon. Ban them all apart from sheep dogs, dogs for the blind, police dogs and any other working dog.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As someone else said, that's not the case. I think since the bus lane on the seafront. The limit is 15mph yet some speed along so maybe a cycle lane is the answer there.

So what's needed is a cull of Dogs or a Warden enforcing dogs on leads. The warden can double up as a bicycle speeding cop too. So in this time of austerity we've just found a vacancy for something that's badly needed. Well done NSC! Now time to start writing to the Council and MP. Think I'll get anywhere? will I F***! But I'll give it a try.
Interesting idea given that speed limits don't apply to bikes.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So, I'm having a nice stroll along the undercliff between Rottingdean and Saltdean with my 2 young daughters. They are on their bicycles. A woman with what I think were Bull Mastiffs comes along in the opposite direction, both dogs are off the lead. I tell my girls to slow and I walk alongside them and we pass the dogs. Then as I thought we were clear of the dogs one turns around and chases and jumps up at my youngest, the dog is barking aggressively, I then kick the dog (more of a push with my foot), my daughter had fallen off her bike so I pick her up. At this point the dogs run off and the woman gives me an earful about kicking her dog, with the most colourful language. I then tell the woman that she's an effing stupid Cow and should have her dogs on the lead and if she can't control them, she shouldn't be allowed to have them. I then said I would kill the dogs in they attacked my kids again.
The long and the short is yes I know this woman was scum, but it begs the question, what to do with dogs that are off the lead in public places? My kids don't want to go on the undercliff walk again, which is a shame. I must admit it's put me off too.

Any thoughts? How can this type of incident be stopped?
I think either a mass cull of all dogs or a undercliff warden that can issue on the spot fines for dogs off the lead. A few weeks of that should stop it.

I have children, I am an occasional bike rider on that undercliff, I am dog owner and also a car driver, so at anyone time someone hates me !!

Since when has it become unacceptable for a dog to be running freely where your children are, god forbid even barking at them, after all they aren't likely to be sizing up your children for an attack are they ???

Why dont you guide your children to accept that dogs will be in most public places and although whilst being reasonably wary of many things, no need to be scared of anything.

I ride park some parents and shuffle there children to the side, with any such angst of a bicycle riding past their children, you wouldnt believe, silly really.

Your children didnt get bitten, were never likely to, so welcome to the world of, er well the world.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here