Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's WORST PUB World Cup - nominations

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Spanish Lady, Saltdean
White Horse, Rottingdean
I have a lingering strong dislike for the Dorset but I guess that's barely a pub

Good call on the Dorset. Pretentious shit with no beer. But, it has to be the Open House I think- shit beer, moody staff, could be so much better so easily which I think is the most disappointing thing.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Leconfield Arms

What's the real local's pub past the Petrol Station but before Fiveways on the right hand side of Ditchling Road as you are walking up, before the turn off you'd use to get to The Hollingbury? I used to refer to that place, Stamner Park Tavern & The Hollie as the Bermuda Triangle.

Does The Freshfield still exist?

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
The Leconfield Arms

What's the real local's pub past the Petrol Station but before Fiveways on the right hand side of Ditchling Road as you are walking up, before the turn off you'd use to get to The Hollingbury? I used to refer to that place, Stamner Park Tavern & The Hollie as the Bermuda Triangle.

Does The Freshfield still exist?

The Jolly Brewer. I'll second that.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Already in but I have to say:

Bat & Ball

Caroline of Brunswick

That part of Ditchling Road is not a place for drinking

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Very surprising there's so many shouts for the Open House.

The beer IS decent, the staff ARE polite, food is pretty good, and no more expensive than anywhere else.

It has dramatically upped its game in the past couple of years. I'm just wondering if this is the consideration of 'Open House from a couple of years ago - not been back since' -type thing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

The beer IS decent, the staff ARE polite, food is pretty good, and no more expensive than anywhere else.

It has dramatically upped its game in the past couple of years. I'm just wondering if this is the consideration of 'Open House from a couple of years ago - not been back since' -type thing.

I have to agree, it's one of my locals and I've always found it decent. I think I did once have a below-par pint there but that was to do with it being from the bottom of the barrel and they were more than happy to offer me a replacement.

That said, I do tend to prefer The Signalman but purely because that's a REALLY good pub as opposed to the Open House being a good pub.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Caroline of Brunswick

The bar staff are crap!

Play the music at full volume, and dance around not serving customers.

Takes an eternity to get served, and it is not like it gets packed.

Impossible to hear yourself think.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

No I go in before most weekend home games at least did before PPT refurb, and it just falls into the category of a pub trying to be trendy and modern but getting it wrong. When I say shit beer I don't mean the way it is kept. I mean shit beer choices. I'm an ale drinker but normally have to get a Guinness, because of the poor choices. North laines or whatever it is called is like dish water.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No I go in before most weekend home games at least did before PPT refurb, and it just falls into the category of a pub trying to be trendy and modern but getting it wrong. When I say shit beer I don't mean the way it is kept. I mean shit beer choices. I'm an ale drinker but normally have to get a Guinness, because of the poor choices. North laines or whatever it is called is like dish water.

No argument about North Laine ale - far too sweet.

Had a pint of Arundel Sussex Gold in there last night. Pretty good.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
No argument about North Laine ale - far too sweet.

Had a pint of Arundel Sussex Gold in there last night. Pretty good.

Ah never seen arundel in there before - that is decent.
Other thing I don't like is the decor, the wall art 'installations' are about 10 years out of date in terms of pub decor. Granted that is picky but I Just don't like the place, sorry. Nice beer garden that's it.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
A few crackers near us, we're spoilt for choice. Up the road to the Stanmer Park Tavern observe the clientele while waiting for a takeaway curry and time for reflection to wonder at the resolution of the bar staff. Down the road is the inaptly named Jolly Brewers but useful to catch up on the latest 1980's fashion if going to a fancy dress party. Swerve past the business model that is the Jolly Poacher which recently refused to serve my son and his mate because they would not be eating there. There was only a handful of people in the place.
Down at the Level spoilt for choice. Druids, Caroline of Brunswick, but the best is the Bat and Ball - ideal to pop in for any early pint with a few mates waiting for the substance misuse place to open in Ditchling Road, then pop along to the Branch to discuss the gentrification of London Road and bemoan the popularity of the Waggon and Horses which used to be such a nice meeting point for a few alcoholics.
Stanmer Park Tavern my winner and mention in dispatches to the rest.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One of these things that stays with you...

Back in July 2011 - the day of the Spurs friendly and the opening of the Amex - Ady, myself and about eight others took over the Reverb studios to do the Breakfast Show - 8-10am. It meant walking past the Bat & Ball (and others) at about 7.15am on a Saturday morning. It was a beautiful. quiet serene morning with early morning sunshine promising glory and happiness. A marvellous day was in store.

The Bat & Ball was open, and what I assume were regulars (squally bunch) were sitting outside, nursing their pints, growling their toothless growls at anyone passing by. The stench of B.O., halitosis and piss filled the air.

That's the Bat & Ball to me. Classy.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Just a stone's throw from Preston Park, you'll find a pub that's cosmopolitan Brighton at its best. Alongside our impressive range of speciality drinks and pub food at The Park View, you'll find a line-up of interesting activities throughout the week, such as Tai Chi Mat and the odd live band too, with the Peruvian nose flute making an occasional appearance.

**** me! I think I'm going to be sick.

It's 'cosmo' Brighton for the dfls who've moved down to commute from PP.

PG

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Am I alone in really not liking the North Laine Pub?

Whoever decided on the school cafeteria style seating in there wants shooting. Pretty much everything else about the place is decent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here