Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would replacing Jones with Calderon as assistant manager improve things next season?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Tony is a fan, so if you're right, he's already thinking it.

But, and I know this is a bit controversial, is it possible that Nathan Jones is good at his job? If he is, perhaps he deserves to keep it.

Why is it a bit controversial? When Nathan Jones was brought in, he was generally lauded as a talented and capable coach. The opinions of some people on here who are good at holding a grudge do not really matter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd happily see it, if only to cnt off Nathan Jones, who saw fit to do the same to our fans all those years ago.

He'll always be a total cock to me whereas Calde is a legend. No brainer, get Calde in.

Whilst I am a fan of Calde, you seem to forget that, having given him a chance in English football, he then went off seeking his fortune at, allegedly, Southampton and Poyet was reported to have said he would never play for him again! I would remind you there was a lot of vitriol aimed at Calde at the time. I bet there are plenty on here eulogising about Calde who at the time were slagging him off.

How can anyone on here have any idea as to the Assistant Coaching abilities of Nathan Jones? Unless you see the guy in training it's all speculation.

Playing Devil's Advocate, you could just as easily come to the conclusion he's a brilliant coach because one of our best players this season happens to be Stephen Ward, a left wing-back just like Jones.

If you take the Poyet / Oscar era as a whole then Calde encapsulates all that has been good about the resurgence of this club, and it will be a sad day when he leaves.

Have to agree with this. Jones could be a brilliant coach for all we know. Based on the Leicester result that could endorse that but equally, based on Ipswich it might not. Also, players ability and achievements during their playing career don't always translate to them being great coaches. Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho are examples of players that didn't excel on the field. I hope that Calde does get his coaching badges and has a role at the club as he is a great ambassador for the sport with the extra curricular activity that he does. However that is no guarantee of success.

(Talking of Mourinho, I wonder if he was still at Belenenses when Melia was there? Mourinho left in 1983 and that was when Melia joined!)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Unless you have seen him leading training sessions or have spoken to first team players about it, not sure how anyone can really claim with any authority that he isn't a good coach.

He might not be, of course, but I cannot understand how anyone can make that judgment based purely on his own playing style/career and how he looks in a tracksuit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why is it a bit controversial? When Nathan Jones was brought in, he was generally lauded as a talented and capable coach. The opinions of some people on here who are good at holding a grudge do not really matter.
It's controversial with those opinions you mention, that's all.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Don't remember the Yeovil incident but I have strong memories of the Jonesy stepovers that ALWAYS got a cheer from the Brighton faithful - that was probably the only flair we could muster in those days ......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't remember the Yeovil incident but I have strong memories of the Jonesy stepovers that ALWAYS got a cheer from the Brighton faithful - that was probably the only flair we could muster in those days ......

The squirrel that looked like Nathans hair racing him at Withdean was amusing too

Binep

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
I guess the more reasonable move behind it is how it goes and the overall productivity works in a general way quite goodly which is pretty good in a way.So yeah being aware of all the circumstances is what that help us big time so that we can get to turn in a better productivity.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I guess the more reasonable move behind it is how it goes and the overall productivity works in a general way quite goodly which is pretty good in a way.So yeah being aware of all the circumstances is what that help us big time so that we can get to turn in a better productivity.

From the standard of English, it looks to me that Paul Valley is getting another run out under a different guise

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
From the standard of English, it looks to me that Paul Valley is getting another run out under a different guise

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here