Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Marathon Results

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Despite having a few niggles in training a few weeks ago (itb) I finished my 5th Brighton Marathon today with a time of 3:43:37, beating last years pb by 13 minutes.

The plan was to run 8.30s all the way around, but I started off too quick and couldn't slow down. Did the first 17 miles in 8s but had to slow down and do 9s for the last 5 miles. My right knee flared up after 8 miles, and my left after 17, and hamstrings got very tight in the last few miles. I was consciously managing my knee pains the whole way round, but I seemed to be able to run through it fine...and a few painkillers helped.

The crowd was great but definitely smaller than previous years. Loved the new bridge built near the pier. Very happy with my time and know I could have easily beat 3.40, maybe 3.30 if I really push it.

It was a brilliant day but I think because I was so focused on a time, and I had injuries from early on, I don't think I quite "enjoyed" it as much. I'm sure it will sink in soon enough though!

Good effort. However, as I said last year you have a sub 3:30 in you. Get a training plan for next Christmas and discipline yourself to follow the plan. learn the stretches for the areas that hurt now. Next year I am aiming at 3:40. So get it wrong and you will get beaten by a 55 year old boozer, who can't get near you in the Hove Park 5k. One of my regrets is not going for a sub 3:30 marathon 10 years ago, especially when 47 year old younger brother got 3:28 yesterday. So you have to go for it!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've been called many things in the past couple of days, but never an idiot. Thanks.

No disrespect, but I don't think anyone associated with the two charities that will benefit from over £5,000 from my fundraising will care what you think. :moo:

No disrespect, but you're an idiot :)

Tulip

May 3, 2008
Brighton
4:59 for me, having completed my Olympic Triathlon beforehand.

During the bike leg of that, I crashed after 10 miles, but carried on and was patched up by St Johns. They told me that there was NO WAY I could run, and there was a risk my leg might have to be amputated (no word of a lie), but I ignored them as the adrenaline and sheer-bloodymindedness took over.

Started Triathlon at 5:30am, finished marathon at 14:22. After that, spent six hours (and got 26 stitches for my trouble) at Worthing A&E, eventually getting home around midnight.

Certainly a day to remember, made all the better for the amazing crowds, including the hundreds wondering why I was running in a bike helmet and goggles…

Hopefully, the story will be part of the marathon coverage on Saturday on Channel Four.

You should be on the coverage - I was picking out the HI stories with Jenny Falconer and you got interviewed at the Finish - we picked out all the HI pre interviews so cant see why you wont be in the coverage!! Well done BTW-was following you on the App round the course so we knew when you would finish!! x

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

During the bike leg of that, I crashed after 10 miles, but carried on and was patched up by St Johns. They told me that there was NO WAY I could run, and there was a risk my leg might have to be amputated (no word of a lie), but I ignored them as the adrenaline and sheer-bloodymindedness took over.

Started Triathlon at 5:30am, finished marathon at 14:22. After that, spent six hours (and got 26 stitches for my trouble) at Worthing A&E, eventually getting home around midnight.

Certainly a day to remember, made all the better for the amazing crowds, including the hundreds wondering why I was running in a bike helmet and goggles…

Hopefully, the story will be part of the marathon coverage on Saturday on Channel Four.

Thats quite a story, I'm sure Channel 4 will feature it as I still can't work out if your incredibly brave or stupid! Fair play to you though a truly remarkable effort.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You should be on the coverage - I was picking out the HI stories with Jenny Falconer and you got interviewed at the Finish - we picked out all the HI pre interviews so cant see why you wont be in the coverage!! Well done BTW-was following you on the App round the course so we knew when you would finish!! x

Great news. It was quite a surreal moment heading into Worthing with a cameraman on a bike filming me (before I crashed).

Thanks - it was quite a day.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've been called many things in the past couple of days, but never an idiot. Thanks.

No disrespect, but I don't think anyone associated with the two charities that will benefit from over £5,000 from my fundraising will care what you think. :moo:

Pretty sure a non amputated leg is worth more than 5 grand.

I wasn't being completely serious anyway, hence the :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
5.45 or thereabouts

not bad considering my training was hampered by a bad back, taking on a part time job working the doors at Oceana on top of a full time job, having my son twice a week.....

and Dressed as Bane, so if you saw him, that was me!!

I saw you, yes. I was wondering what sort of loon would dress up like that for 26 miles, and here you are! Well done, by the way :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thats quite a story, I'm sure Channel 4 will feature it as I still can't work out if your incredibly brave or stupid! Fair play to you though a truly remarkable effort.

Thanks big nuts. Even I think I'm a bit of both, to be honest.

Congrats to you, too, on your PB and sub-4 time. That was my target last year and I just managed it. This year it was all about just getting around.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Despite having a few niggles in training a few weeks ago (itb) I finished my 5th Brighton Marathon today with a time of 3:43:37, beating last years pb by 13 minutes.

The plan was to run 8.30s all the way around, but I started off too quick and couldn't slow down. Did the first 17 miles in 8s but had to slow down and do 9s for the last 5 miles. My right knee flared up after 8 miles, and my left after 17, and hamstrings got very tight in the last few miles. I was consciously managing my knee pains the whole way round, but I seemed to be able to run through it fine...and a few painkillers helped.

The crowd was great but definitely smaller than previous years. Loved the new bridge built near the pier. Very happy with my time and know I could have easily beat 3.40, maybe 3.30 if I really push it.

It was a brilliant day but I think because I was so focused on a time, and I had injuries from early on, I don't think I quite "enjoyed" it as much. I'm sure it will sink in soon enough though!

I can see you beating 3:30 fairly comfortably as you're definitely quick enough, you just need to control your pace a bit better.

I'm with you I enjoyed it far more the first time, not focused on time and just running to complete the distance. I probably went of a bit too fast but managed to slow myself down and got to halfway bang on schedule. The last 10k in particular were beyond tough, and I really don't want to go through that again as I was so close to walking on a few occasions.

I'll probably enter for next year I think I can get down to 3:45 or slightly under.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
id love to have a go but think my body might jack it in and i'll end up in a heap on the pavement. lol

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Good time Steve. You're a machine.

04:10:06 so slower than last 2 years. All going swimmingly until 12m when my calf tightened right up. Thought I'd have to pack it in but felt better shortly after. Went again and worse at about 15m when St John Ambulance chaps had to help me out with some stretching/massage. The only reason I kept going after that was that I couldn't be bothered with the faff that would be involved in getting my bag back. I'm going to throw in a man flu excuse as well. Resting for at least a couple of weeks now. Been recommended compression socks. Will probably do Bewl 15m next and doing the Palma marathon in October.

+1 for the compression socks. I used the calf sleeves from compresport throughout my training and on the day. I got them after having a training run where my calves knotted up so much I couldn't run at all.

Recovery wise they've been great too.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
That's what I've been told. Any recommendations or just anything off Amazon?

Depends on your price range. Trigger point ones are a little expensive but really good, and there's a fair variety in them. They're more solid as well, the cheap foam rollers can 'wear down', but it's a bit hard to describe.

Wow! There is always someone crazier than oneself. Yesterday was marathon 74 for me, but , what you have achieved is even more bonkers! Good on ya fella.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Yesterday was my second attempt at Brighton.

Found miles 19-23 so tough, had to stop and have a couple of 1/4 mile walks.

The crowds in the final 3 certainly helped me along and finished in 4.21 which is over an hours improvement on last years effort.

Amazing what a difference being slightly less injured makes!

Have signed up for the early bird offer for 2015, determined to get round without stopping - will hopefully be fully fit for it too!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
+1 for the compression socks. I used the calf sleeves from compresport throughout my training and on the day. I got them after having a training run where my calves knotted up so much I couldn't run at all.

Recovery wise they've been great too.

Depends on your price range. Trigger point ones are a little expensive but really good, and there's a fair variety in them. They're more solid as well, the cheap foam rollers can 'wear down', but it's a bit hard to describe.

Thanks for the tips. Will def invest in both.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
First marathon... finished in 4 hours 10 minutes. Was particularly pleased that I managed to get round the course without having to stop for a walk or rest. The crowds were amazing and certainly helped me get over the line. Raised just over £800 for AITC.

Thanks!

D

Deleted User X18H

Sterling effort from the thousands again. You have my respect.

I felt a bit sad watching and not partaking. I was getting itchy feet, then I realised my flip flops had been invaded by a nest of ants.

Hopefully my shouting and mini-packets of Haribo helped someone on here.

Meant to be doing the Warsaw marathon, but haven't paid my fee. Might just aim for Brighton 2015.

Any celebs do it this year?

No. As Hawker and circular will have told you, I couldn't make it.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Just as an aside, I train with (well, behind!!) the first Brit back, Ian Kimpton - who did 2.18! Madness isn't it - just cant comprehend be able to do it that fast.

Top bloke, really down to earth and friendly, like most runners. Thats why I love running, it goes together with supporting a team so well...after you have relied on a team and they have let you down (again) you can concentrate on your running, which is down to you only.

Obviously the running helps counter the effects of the beer a bit!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here