Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Everybody calm down!

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Ok, ive had a few vodkas, summed up some courage and am ready to take the inevitable flack but here goes...

I really am struggling to understand why so many fellow fans are so worked up either negatively or defensively.

Yes the football has not been as good this season, yes a lack of goals has been frustrating and yes everyone who pays their hard earned money has a right to express their frustration....however....

The extremely negative sentiment that is becoming more and more vocal is akin to a relegation fight or the reaction to Big Sam Allardyce style tactics.

For goodness sake, we are 8th. We have had a season similar to our first at the Amex which, although the squad is stronger on paper, is fair enough under a new manager who is the polar opposite of the previous incumbent in terms of approach and management style.

We have blooded several young players this season, whose early enthusiasm has given way to a lack of experience.

We have had lots of significant injuries.

We have some players who are not performing as well as last season.

We had a poor January transfer window but who amongst us really knows how much we were courted by Grabbans agent etc.

Im gutted that we seem to have missed our opportunity to get into the play offs, however, if im honest with myself under Gus I was screaming for...

A bit more of a direct approach as a plan b
Less negative substitutions
More opportunities for home grown talent
Less Ego
More respect for the fans and club

I for one think that Oscar has delivered on this front and the true test of the man will be next season.

I emplore you, my fellow albion fans, to wind the vitriol down a notch and take a dose of reality. Gus was a big character, who shaped the team in his image, this season was always going to be a transition and, given the other challenging circumstances, I think we have done ok....not great by any means, but not as bad as some seem to think...

that is all

goodnight

(in case anyone dismisses this as the thoughts of a JCL, dont go there, ive spent many many seasons supporting the albion and taking my blind brother to games both home and away)

spot on for me, but don't expect balanced opinion without a larger dose of rampant hysteria on here matey - there's easily as many if not more "I want it all now" nutters (some broad sweepingly call that Gen Y) on this board as there are measured longview fans, IMHO of course.....

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It's always disappointing when you invest in the time, money and effort to travel to a northern away game where we play poorly. And we are all fed up that the season looks like petering out without a play-off conclusion. But some of the comments I have seen on NSC and social media since Saturday are, in my view, ridiculously over the top.

I confess, I didn't go to Barnsley. But I did go to Grimsby in 1983 when we lost 5-0 in the pouring rain; I got up early on NY Day 1991 for a lunchtime ko at Notts County when we lost 2-1, only to find out later (via Garry Nelson's book) that the players had all been on the NY p**s the night before and were in no state to play; and, to Kingstonian when we lost in the FA Cup to a goal from a Palace reject. I could go on. So, for those who whinged this was 'the worst away performance ever'; 'the football is sh1t 9 times out of ten' (this thread) etc. etc. I say get a sense of perspective, know your Albion history and above all support the team, that's what we are supposed to do.

I don't think we are very far away from a decent team. We still play decent passing football at a quicker tempo than last year. By historic Albion standards, we have a lot of very good players. Oscar's substitutions are generally astute and have paid off. We are 8th in the 2nd tier. Of course we all have our views that things could be done better: I would like to see Dunk given a more regular place and felt it was a mistake to let Barnes go.

In 1981/82 the football was deemed 'boring', the manager overly cautious. Some called for his head. We finished 13th in the top flight. Be careful what you wish for.

PG

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Again I am someone who didn't go to Barnsley and respect anyones views who went there so I could be living in cloud cuckoo land but I think this whole debate though is too early. A few games ago we went on a run where we won 5 out of 7...I think. Our last 6 games include 5 that are very winnable and Reading are suspect at home so there is a decent chance we could still make the play offs as Oscar's record does suggest his teams can go on good runs. I live in hope rather than expectation but still retain enough faith....just!

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Again I am someone who didn't go to Barnsley and respect anyones views who went there so I could be living in cloud cuckoo land but I think this whole debate though is too early. A few games ago we went on a run where we won 5 out of 7...I think. Our last 6 games include 5 that are very winnable and Reading are suspect at home so there is a decent chance we could still make the play offs as Oscar's record does suggest his teams can go on good runs. I live in hope rather than expectation but still retain enough faith....just!

Without repeating other threads, me and my son just looking at Reading's last games which include Wigan, Leicester, Burnley, Middlesborough and Bournemouth so we reckon if we can win 4 games out of 6 we can make the play offs.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
spot on for me, but don't expect balanced opinion without a larger dose of rampant hysteria on here matey - there's easily as many if not more "I want it all now" nutters (some broad sweepingly call that Gen Y) on this board as there are measured longview fans, IMHO of course.....

There are plenty of long term fans who are very measured but who are also bored to tears of the football being served up at the moment. Let's not turn his into ProOscar=GoodFan, AntiOscar=BadFan. It isn't that simple.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Without repeating other threads, me and my son just looking at Reading's last games which include Wigan, Leicester, Burnley, Middlesborough and Bournemouth so we reckon if we can win 4 games out of 6 we can make the play offs.

If we win 4 out of 6 Reading need only 8 points (7 if their GD doesnt deteriorate by more than 9 vs ours) from 6 games. You're clutching at straws.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Ok, ive had a few vodkas, summed up some courage and am ready to take the inevitable flack but here goes...

I really am struggling to understand why so many fellow fans are so worked up either negatively or defensively.

Yes the football has not been as good this season, yes a lack of goals has been frustrating and yes everyone who pays their hard earned money has a right to express their frustration....however....

The extremely negative sentiment that is becoming more and more vocal is akin to a relegation fight or the reaction to Big Sam Allardyce style tactics.

For goodness sake, we are 8th. We have had a season similar to our first at the Amex which, although the squad is stronger on paper, is fair enough under a new manager who is the polar opposite of the previous incumbent in terms of approach and management style.

We have blooded several young players this season, whose early enthusiasm has given way to a lack of experience.

We have had lots of significant injuries.

We have some players who are not performing as well as last season.

We had a poor January transfer window but who amongst us really knows how much we were courted by Grabbans agent etc.

Im gutted that we seem to have missed our opportunity to get into the play offs, however, if im honest with myself under Gus I was screaming for...

A bit more of a direct approach as a plan b
Less negative substitutions
More opportunities for home grown talent
Less Ego
More respect for the fans and club

I for one think that Oscar has delivered on this front and the true test of the man will be next season.

I emplore you, my fellow albion fans, to wind the vitriol down a notch and take a dose of reality. Gus was a big character, who shaped the team in his image, this season was always going to be a transition and, given the other challenging circumstances, I think we have done ok....not great by any means, but not as bad as some seem to think...

that is all

goodnight

(in case anyone dismisses this as the thoughts of a JCL, dont go there, ive spent many many seasons supporting the albion and taking my blind brother to games both home and away)

Spot on.

Football is odd. It's a sport where a number of the spectators think they can do a better job or have a more in depth understanding than the professionals. They then get incredibly emotive about the subject.

I also think that the style of football is not solely dictated by Oscar. He has been appointed because he believes in a way of playing football that is alignment with the clubs vision, which (and this is an educated guess) seems to be based on technical individuals playing a short passing game, backed up with as much science as possible. There are variations within that style, and the players available to Oscar haven't suited his interpretation.

I get why people are frustrated and I also get the entertainment thing. Although I bet less people would be hacked off if we managed to hit the bloody target more often.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I could not agree more with the Original Post. Lets have some sanity and act like supporters of the team

I just read an article on BBC Sport that shows that of the clubs who sacked their manager this season, only one, Palace, have improved their league position. This time last year a lot of Leicester fans were calling for Pearson's head, too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here