Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Sunderland go bottom of PL

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does anyone really believe that??

I can only imagine it was smoke and mirrors with spin based on the wages we were committed to but without the 2 million to sign Ulloa. I do not believe that Oscar has had anywhere near the spending power on players that Poyet had. If he has had the money to sign a CMS or Ulloa then I suggest he is pretty useless in the transfer market (which I don't believe he is, he just hasn't been given the funds imo)

Maybe we have had to pay the full wages of Andrews and Ward ( which I believe are astronomical) whereas last year we paid a small portion of Bridges wages. That would take up a very large wedge of the budget if it is around 30k a week as rumoured.

The club have also told us that Oscar has had a say on all his players so which do we believe?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Err no, he had a bagful of money to spend last time leaving our current manager with close on f all. He wouldn't have got us anywhere near the playoffs this season with the injuries we've had. In fact he would probably have walked a few months ago.

Quite simply not true that Poyet left Oscar with no money. Tony Bloom said our playing budget increased this season.

And the club also, I believe, confirmed they had made playing budget more flexible last season so wages and transfer kitty was in one pot.

Also that a fair chunk of transfer income would go back into playing budget.

So the budget was higher and then, by January, had wages of El Abd, Barnes and Bridcutt freed up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite simply not true that Poyet left Oscar with no money. Tony Bloom said our playing budget increased this season.

And the club also, I believe, confirmed they had made playing budget more flexible last season so wages and transfer kitty was in one pot.

Also that a fair chunk of transfer income would go back into playing budget.

So the budget was higher and then, by January, had wages of El Abd, Barnes and Bridcutt freed up.

Well on the strength of the players we signed last year and the ones we've signed this year, I just do not believe what we have been told.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The club have also told us that Oscar has had a say on all his players so which do we believe?

I believe he is given a list drawn up by Burke and has to choose from that list. I accept I may be wrong but we were signing players when he first arrived here who he could not possibly have seen play.

I feel Oscar has had nowhere near the spending power or input that Poyet had. That is reflected in the fact that we have had one striker for most of this season which is a ridiculous handicap for a club looking to get out of this division. When we did have two Ulloa spend most that time injured, once he came back Barnes was sold.

Whilst I would not dream of criticising what Bloom has done for this club he should be taking some of the flak now being directed at Oscar, with one hand tied behind his back, in what he is expected to achieve by so many Albion fans. Alternatively we have to forget comparing how he has done in comparison to how free spending Poyet did.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are now six teams below Palace.
It would appear next seasons Premier League would be the optimum league to join.
Any league containing:-

Palace
Burnley
Norwich/Fulham
West Brom
Swansea
Villa
Hull
+ the one that is surprisingly pooh, Newcastle/Stoke/West Ham.

is going to be hard to get relegated from :down:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I believe he is given a list drawn up by Burke and has to choose from that list. I accept I may be wrong but we were signing players when he first arrived here who he could not possibly have seen play.

I feel Oscar has had nowhere near the spending power or input that Poyet had. That is reflected in the fact that we have had one striker for most of this season which is a ridiculous handicap for a club looking to get out of this division. When we did have two Ulloa spend most that time injured, once he came back Barnes was sold.

Whilst I would not dream of criticising what Bloom has done for this club he should be taking some of the flak now being directed at Oscar, with one hand tied behind his back, in what he is expected to achieve by so many Albion fans. Alternatively we have to forget comparing how he has done in comparison to how free spending Poyet did.

I read back on Kemy Agustein joining the club last August. Kemy states that he met Oscar and joined the club on the strength of that. Why is he out of the team, and why can't the manager, sorry head coach, sort it out? That's one lot of wages wasted.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I read back on Kemy Agustein joining the club last August. Kemy states that he met Oscar and joined the club on the strength of that. Why is he out of the team, and why can't the manager, sorry head coach, sort it out? That's one lot of wages wasted.

That is a mystery I agree. What a waste.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
It would appear next seasons Premier League would be the optimum league to join.
Any league containing:-

Palace
Burnley
Norwich/Fulham
West Brom
Swansea
Villa
Hull
+ the one that is surprisingly pooh, Newcastle/Stoke/West Ham.

is going to be hard to get relegated from :down:

Looks like you've missed the boat again .

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Poyet will spend most of the time between now and Tuesday talking about what a great club Spurs are.....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I am sure he will from late Monday night after we have played them, Tuesday he will be preparing for the next game

His M.O. is to talk up his favourite jobs BEFORE going into matches against these teams.

He'll already be planning his exit strategy.

Leeds is my reckoning if you go down.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

:thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Were not safe yet , but it feels good atm .

You're dead safe! One thing I will say is fair play to you. You've deserved to stay up as you've been solid. You've not been thrashed at all by the big sides and that speaks volumes about your organisation. I still maintain, as many of your fans will admit, you were v lucky to go up - not just the play offs but the way you played 2nd half of season. But you've taken the chance / fortune and made a good go in the prem.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You're dead safe! One thing I will say is fair play to you. You've deserved to stay up as you've been solid. You've not been thrashed at all by the big sides and that speaks volumes about your organisation. I still maintain, as many of your fans will admit, you were v lucky to go up - not just the play offs but the way you played 2nd half of season. But you've taken the chance / fortune and made a good go in the prem.

I agree , which makes it all the remarkable .

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Maybe that's down to Kemy, and not the club.

One assumes that some effort has been made to sort out whatever the issue is, so perhaps it's due to the player's actions/ inactions.

Not EVERYTHING is down to the club. Players have to take some responsibility for themselves occasionally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here