Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unwritten rules or playground football...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not a rule as such, but remember when a ball went over one of those chain link fences and you had to stick your hands through and gradually work it up and over the fence. That person was always a bit of a hero.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The order of picking of sides is strictly adhered to. The unwritten rules clearly state that the wheezing fat kid with specs shall be picked last.

At my school, this was almost me (asthmatic but not fat or speccy) but I was actually second to last, last was always the kid who wet himself if he laughed too much, and found everything funny.

If it was a warm day one side would be "skins" the other would be "shirts".

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
We used to pick two teams at the beginning of each school year, and they would stay the same. Each lunchtime the amount of goals scored were recorded and totted up at the end of the year. I seem to remember final scores (across 200 lunctimes) of 1537 - 1292.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Never followed this one myself (or heard it in school) but it kept cropping up when I was coaching an under-9's team, until I sat them down and explained why it's not true;

Using your knee is considered to be handball

Where/when the hell did this one start? Did anyone on here ever hear of it?

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
For some reason 'rush goalie' is now referred to as 'Monkey rush' Im not sure what the difference is, but having coached under 8's for 2 seasons I'm still unsure why the change.

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
The game ended not when it was dark but when the first kid went home with his 'goalpost' jumper. Usually when his Mum called him in for his Birds Eye Potato Waffles.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The very first West Blatchington School Team 1956, was picked and issued with kit, solely on the basis of coincidently, they happened to be kicking a tennis ball around in the playground at dinner time. This arbitrary and blatantly unfair selection process was done by Mr Booth, the teacher in the middle of the photo ( rumour had it, he was in love with Miss Senior). No doubt HB&B was stuck with the same random selection process at West Blatch. many years later.

attachment.php

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
We used to pick two teams at the beginning of each school year, and they would stay the same. Each lunchtime the amount of goals scored were recorded and totted up at the end of the year. I seem to remember final scores (across 200 lunctimes) of 1537 - 1292.

That is a CRACKING idea.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Last one to kick it retrieves it from tree, roof etc

This. As a new student at Sussex Uni I kicked the ball on the top of some lecture hall. I thought it was lost until some bloke said he knew how to get up there and I knew I was duty bound to undergo the indiana jones style climb to get it. Horrible. But I kept to the rule.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
World Cup years are of special significance to playground footballers....no longer are you Rush/Keegan/Shearer....but Rummenigge/Rossi/Baggio....

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
(assuming you're playing with real 5-a-side goals) you have to scream "AAAHHHH TONY YEEEBOOOOWAAAAHHHH!!!!" if you get one in off the bar.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
In the summer when we could play on grass, the level of tackling on a Friday was much 'meatier' due to it being the weekend and your trousers would be washed anyway, so going home looking like you'd had a rough day in the Somme was acceptable.

Often called 'Fouling football Friday' when things got out of hand.

Russconha

Jul 8, 2012
Littlehampton
I'm sure the fat wheezing goalkeeper who always got picked last went on to fail his police exams and is now working as a steward in the North Stand.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
For some reason 'rush goalie' is now referred to as 'Monkey rush' Im not sure what the difference is, but having coached under 8's for 2 seasons I'm still unsure why the change.

I always thought Monkey rush meant you can handle the ball anywhere on the pitch, within reason. Make a save with your hands outside of the area, for instance. Not that there ever was an 'area' to speak of as such.

Also, we always had the crossbar set at the height of the goalkeepers reach. The amount of times the kid in goal would protest wether or not a goal should stand by demonstrating his 'outstretched' arms while cheekily bending his elbows and knees was laughable.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We used to use the "3 and in" rule for 'keepers, basically meaning the 'keeper changed every 3 goals let in. Bit odd thinking about it, it probably should have been called "3 and out" :shrug:

It also led to quite a few suspiciously easy goals going in when the kid in goal got bored and wanted to play

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
When new leather football was brought, thou shall not play of tarmack for the first 2days, then after that a free for all.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
In the summer when we could play on grass, the level of tackling on a Friday was much 'meatier' due to it being the weekend and your trousers would be washed anyway, so going home looking like you'd had a rough day in the Somme was acceptable.

Often called 'Fouling football Friday' when things got out of hand.

We had days when 'Prison rules' would be declared, and a full scale battle ensued, with an all but forgotten football knocking about as light relief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here