Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing at half time

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
I'd like to say I'm surprised but with the negativity sat around me on Saturday it was all but inevitable, the team had 'useless' and 'pathetic' being shouted at them from the 2nd minute by (using the term loosely) supporters.

I'm no great believer in the power of the '12th man' driving teams onward but, if it really does have an impact, surely getting on their backs so early (booing at half-time being another example) is going to have the opposite effect?

We weren't playing well at the weekend, no argument, but if people want to claim that singing etc can gain a few points over the course of a season then a portion of the 'blame' for losing a game could also be taken if the stands have been slating the players from early on.

But everyone in the crowd could see a goal was coming for Middlesboro and they werent even that good, the gap in the central midfield was amazing for them, you pick ball up outside there box and take it virtually into ours unchallenged, way too easy for teams to come at us, the point fans trying to make it wake up as doing nothing or cheering wasnt working.
Thats the point of the fans to push team on, when playing well for goal or let know come on, wake up, they just needed to sort out positioning and also to have a bit more belief we could win game eg if we have one centre forward and no wingers eg after buckley went off how the hell we going to score goals ? its obvious to the fans why we dont score many but oscar keeps doing the same thing.
We as fans want to see work rate, passion, intention to win the game and quick tempo, we dont mind the football and passing we actually love it but only when its actually intending to go somewhere a lot of the time its pass backwards because no one has the eye to spot a pass going forward or the midfielders arent making runs.

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
Some of the booing came from 2 rows in front of me in WSU.

What i didn't like was that the bloke was there with his kids who immediately copied him and started booing too. Not a great example to be giving them.

He got a bit of stick and was told to stfu essentially.

I can't totally blame him though, the performance was possible the worst i've seen in at least 2 years. :sick:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't be arsed to read this thread, but want to say:
-- booing at half-time says more about the booers than the booed
-- the sizeable number that upped sticks when their second goal went in (a not dissimilar number to those that did so last week against Ipswich) are 'fair-weather supporters', which I think are far worse than what I am which is a JCL.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I can't be arsed to read this thread, but want to say:
-- booing at half-time says more about the booers than the booed
-- the sizeable number that upped sticks when their second goal went in (a not dissimilar number to those that did so last week against Ipswich) are 'fair-weather supporters', which I think are far worse than what I am which is a JCL.

Do not fully understand 'fair-weather'. There are fans near us all of whom regularly leave 80-85 minutes whether we are winning or losing. It's their right if it's more convenient, but not fair-weather shirley?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don't understand the people who say things like 'All those people who booed or left early shouldn't come back and go and support Chelsea' or similar.

We need their money.

I stayed until the end. I didn't boo.

But I would rather have 20,000 season tickets holders including some who left early or occasionally let out a boo than just the few thousand who were left in their seats at the end.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

But everyone in the crowd could see a goal was coming for Middlesboro and they werent even that good, the gap in the central midfield was amazing for them, you pick ball up outside there box and take it virtually into ours unchallenged, way too easy for teams to come at us, the point fans trying to make it wake up as doing nothing or cheering wasnt working.
Thats the point of the fans to push team on, when playing well for goal or let know come on, wake up, they just needed to sort out positioning and also to have a bit more belief we could win game eg if we have one centre forward and no wingers eg after buckley went off how the hell we going to score goals ? its obvious to the fans why we dont score many but oscar keeps doing the same thing.

We as fans want to see work rate, passion, intention to win the game and quick tempo, we dont mind the football and passing we actually love it but only when its actually intending to go somewhere a lot of the time its pass backwards because no one has the eye to spot a pass going forward or the midfielders arent making runs.

Sorry But can't agree...on the one hand you say we are too open, and it's too easy for teams to come at us, on the other, you are bemoaning that we don't score enough goals...I also don't agree that Middlesborough weren't that good...I think they deserve some credit for a good performance. They pressed high, with pace and did it very well. The goals came from poor defending, arguably because of it. I also dont think "everyone in the crowd could see a goal for 'Boro was coming" I was in the crowd, and felt more comfortable in the second half - felt the game could have gone either way - as always the 1st goal makes a difference.
Don't get me wrong, I was disappointed with the performance, but still think that without 2 defensive errors, more clincial finishing we could have won a close game.
It's not obvious to us all why we don't score goals because there are clear differences in opinions...you believe ( I think) that it is the way that Oscar has asked them to play or set the team up, I think we are just poor at finishing good chances at the moment..

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'd like to say I'm surprised but with the negativity sat around me on Saturday it was all but inevitable, the team had 'useless' and 'pathetic' being shouted at them from the 2nd minute by (using the term loosely) supporters.

I'm no great believer in the power of the '12th man' driving teams onward but, if it really does have an impact, surely getting on their backs so early (booing at half-time being another example) is going to have the opposite effect?

We weren't playing well at the weekend, no argument, but if people want to claim that singing etc can gain a few points over the course of a season then a portion of the 'blame' for losing a game could also be taken if the stands have been slating the players from early on.

a lot of our fans are pretty inanimate and silent.....for me , separate / singing section(s) / family section ( ie mums Dads and under 12's) and general admission (which would appear to be o.a.p's for us to be honest) sections will go along way to improving the atmosphere at the Amex.........just listening to the bin dippers last night made me jealous , we have at least 3-6 k fans who are prepared to have a sing song.....they should all be sat in the same area...!!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
"The worst performance I have seen in 25 years of watching Brighton"

Really ? I can remember a lot worse ......but don't ask me to be exact about time , off the top of my head.
The point about this is that this was half - time for goodness sake! The score was 0 -0 , we had enjoyed more possession , bot teams had missed chances ......everything was there to play for . It was a time to support our players not demoralise them.

Who are these people? Don't they know that football is not about always winning? Supporters actually support, glory merchants pay their money and moan if they don't get what they want...

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
"The worst performance I have seen in 25 years of watching Brighton"

Really ? I can remember a lot worse ......but don't ask me to be exact about time , off the top of my head.
The point about this is that this was half - time for goodness sake! The score was 0 -0 , we had enjoyed more possession , bot teams had missed chances ......everything was there to play for . It was a time to support our players not demoralise them.

Who are these people? Don't they know that football is not about always winning? Supporters actually support, glory merchants pay their money and moan if they don't get what they want...

Could you not see we were playing with no passion and no heart? The set up was wrong and the substitution was suspect. It's not about winning all the time but it can be about the way you do it. I have seen Brighton play with more heart and soul during games we have lost. There have not been boo's at losses have there, were there the previous Saturday, no. It was about the way we are playing.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Can someone explain to me the big taboo about booing amongst Albion fans? Don't get me wrong, I don't personally go in for myself as I see it as counter-productive. However, I don't understand the mass sensitivity about it. Its not really a big deal is it?

It was misplaced and unnecessary on Saturday because its generally been a good season. However, it was a f*cking woeful performance in the first half, and if a handful of people want to voice their displeasure then I don't really give it a toss.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Could you not see we were playing with no passion and no heart? The set up was wrong and the substitution was suspect. It's not about winning all the time but it can be about the way you do it. I have seen Brighton play with more heart and soul during games we have lost. There have not been boo's at losses have there, were there the previous Saturday, no. It was about the way we are playing.

Keep on hearing this passion bit almost saying that the players don't care..which I can't agree with..bit more using there brain maybe

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Keep on hearing this passion bit almost saying that the players don't care..which I can't agree with..bit more using there brain maybe

What about the thing with the penalty, clearly Ulloa did not want to take it but only one other player seemed even slightly interested and he was pulled away. Ulloa maybe the second choice for them but he was clearly not in the right frame of mind all match

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What about the thing with the penalty, clearly Ulloa did not want to take it but only one other player seemed even slightly interested and he was pulled away. Ulloa maybe the second choice for them but he was clearly not in the right frame of mind all match
I wouldn't call that a lack of passion more low confidence and a total reliance in Lopez

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just before half time those around me were saying about the poor performance by us and the mstakes of Oscar and Jones and the general opinion was that the performance was like an end of season game between two midtable sides with nothing to gain and just playing the season out. Nothing to do with the fact that we should have been trying to get in a plsy off place.

Feb 14, 2010
Just before half time those around me were saying about the poor performance by us and the mstakes of Oscar and Jones and the general opinion was that the performance was like an end of season game between two midtable sides with nothing to gain and just playing the season out. Nothing to do with the fact that we should have been trying to get in a plsy off place.

Brighton players let the fans down? Nothing changes. The players at Brighton never have been worthy of the support they receive and this lot seem another bunch who deserve to play in front of 3000 instead of the 30000 that the Albion get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here