Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Nigel Farage end up a great British political leader?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Institutionally racist? Perhaps not. Are there a higher proportion of racists in UKIP than in LibLabCon? Definitely.

Above all they're a joke party and will, much to my amusement, take votes off the Tory party. They could be worse.

D

Deleted member 22389

Above all they're a joke party and will, much to my amusement, take votes off the Tory party. They could be worse.

I understand voting UKIP will take votes off the Tories. Labour might get back in because of it, which I don't like the idea of.
If the doubters like myself don't vote for something different how can we ever expect a change. All UKIP voters where either Tory or Labour in the first place anyway. If the main parties still can't see what the problems are, then really they don't deserve our votes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I read about that this morning. Funny.

What a fcking hypocrite.

Why don't UKIP and all the other right of centre parties just cut to the chase, and admit that when they say 'foreigners' they actually mean 'some TYPES of foreigners'.

"People with different colour skin"?

Not exclusively, no. There are some white 'foreigners' they'd keep out too - Romanians / Poles / 'gypsies'.

Your wrong.

Is he, though?

Institutionally racist? Perhaps not. Are there a higher proportion of racists in UKIP than in LibLabCon? Definitely.

Indeed. To deny this is nonsense. We all know it to be true.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's a large number. But figures currently show immigrants are putting more into the system than they are taking out. How many of those 182,000 are front line NHS staff for example?

I get your point about where will they live, but stopping migration isn't dealing with the cause of the problem which is, as I've stated before, fueled by cheap bank loans and 5% deposit schemes. That's what needs addressing. The average house price is well out of sync to the salary/affordability of the average young person and that's not the fault of immigrants - many of whom come here and contribute to our society and economy.

There are areas in the south where housing is far too expensive but that doesn't apply to the rest of the country.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The housing crisis is slightly misleading I think. Decades ago, people lived with their parents until they could afford to buy (it generally took two people to afford a mortgage so therefore done via marriage or living together) or earned enough money to pay rent. There were less houses because of the war although in the 60s very inferior flats were thrown together as a 'solution'
As people are far more mobile and many more going to university now, there is a greater demand for housing whether rented or bought. Families splitting up are another cause. There are more single people living alone than every before. Immigration is not the main cause.

I find it very worrying when politicians blame immigrants for the wrongs in society where economics are more to blame. That sounds very clumsy but I am not that articulate in expressing what I mean.

You just need to add in longer life expectancy and despite all the scares around the cost of care, very many of the elderly are able to stay in their own homes.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
That's a large number. But figures currently show immigrants are putting more into the system than they are taking out. How many of those 182,000 are front line NHS staff for example?

Hopefully a fair amount of them are joining the NHS because with 1 in 4 births in this country coming from women not born in the UK, I guess we will need 26% more maternity and associated staff?

http://www.channel4.com/news/uk-sees-most-births-since-1972

Other serious medical conditions are on the rise here too thanks to our hard working new comers with increases to the costs of NHS care required to treat AIDS, Hepatitis B and TB.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)61438-5/fulltext

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/dec/22/hiv-aids-black-african-immigrants-uk

Its reassuring that they are all working so hard that they are putting in much more in than they take out............................

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Its reassuring that they are all working so hard that they are putting in much more in than they take out............................

Absolutely not what I said. I said, figures show, that when you look at immigration as a whole, immigrants to the UK put in slightly more than they take out. It's only a tiny amount but it's still in the black.

I also said, if you go back a few pages, that while immigration is important it's by no means the biggest problem facing this country at the moment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not exclusively, no. There are some white 'foreigners' they'd keep out too - Romanians / Poles / 'gypsies'.

Is he, though?

Indeed. To deny this is nonsense. We all know it to be true.

I suspect you're probably right but, with the exceptions you point out, their members fail to see that UKIP's policy of targeting EU immigrants doesn't quite fit into such an agenda, and that really what they're after is not anti-EU im(migration), but anti-immigration per se. If they get in power, withdraw from the EU and enact an anti-EU immigration policy you can rest assured that an anti-immigration policy will swiftly follow, alongside an acceleration of the ongoing decline of Britain and its empire.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If they get in power, withdraw from the EU and enact an anti-EU immigration policy you can rest assured that an anti-immigration policy will swiftly follow, alongside an acceleration of the ongoing decline of Britain and its empire.

This.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I suspect you're probably right but, with the exceptions you point out, their members fail to see that UKIP's policy of targeting EU immigrants doesn't quite fit into such an agenda, and that really what they're after is not anti-EU im(migration), but anti-immigration per se. If they get in power, withdraw from the EU and enact an anti-EU immigration policy you can rest assured that an anti-immigration policy will swiftly follow, alongside an acceleration of the ongoing decline of Britain and its empire.

Once again though, I think you'll find that they would NOT be anti-immigration per se.

Well, actually in their minds they WOULD be - insofar as only certain people would COUNT as 'immigrants'.

Comfortably-off Americans moving here to work, or as a random example, somebody's German wife, living in the UK, wouldn't be 'immigrants', they'd just be 'people who moved here'.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Once again though, I think you'll find that they would NOT be anti-immigration per se.

Well, actually in their minds they WOULD be - insofar as only certain people would COUNT as 'immigrants'.

Comfortably-off Americans moving here to work, or as a random example, somebody's German wife, living in the UK, wouldn't be 'immigrants', they'd just be 'people who moved here'.

Can't disagree with this, although we're making a distinction between what UKIP do on the one hand, and what they say and their supporters, members, etc believe on the other hand.
I do think it will be very interesting to see what happens in next year's General Election with UKIP. There's little doubt in my mind that they'll be the biggest party in next month's EU elections. It's just a question of whether those that vote for them stick with them in the national election. They haven't done in the past, but their majority in the EU elections could convince a significant number to stick with them.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's seriously concerning when people seriously think this man would make a good politician. He can talk, he can produce a worldy of a speech. But his party's policies are literally drawn from the latest trends on YouGov. The BNP pre-2010 GE did this, they had this big media coverage, with all these polls suggesting they'll win a seat. They targeted Dagenham & Barking constituency with all their resources and came 4th. The media coverage often doesn't reflect the real nature of voting intentions. Same goes with the recent debates, those who are really anti-EU and more than likely to watch and vote in those debates than someone who's either complacent or pro-EU as it is, without resorting to ad-hominem, an obsession for them to blame the EU for all the country's ills.

His latest poster about EU immigration is laughable. EU workers are legally paid the same as us in terms of minimum wage, so where's the proof they're working for much cheaper than we are? If so, then perhaps one could argue is that the average Brit's wage demands are too high and it's more financially beneficial for the businesses to pay the EU worker the minimum wage. However, the so called "free party of free people and free markets" completely contradict themselves, free migration is essential to free markets and access to the world market itself.

75% of laws are made in Brussels, and we're yet to see the evidence that this is the case. Businesses have access to the EU single market, that's over 750,000,000 people. That's 1 common policy for trading standards rather than 27 individual trading standards and 27 potential bureaucracies to go through. Most policies have simplified trading in Europe.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I understand voting UKIP will take votes off the Tories. Labour might get back in because of it, which I don't like the idea of.
If the doubters like myself don't vote for something different how can we ever expect a change. All UKIP voters where either Tory or Labour in the first place anyway. If the main parties still can't see what the problems are, then really they don't deserve our votes.

Agree with this; Farage ia man with charisma and none of the main Party leaders have it. Charlie Kennedy had it (even if it came from the bottle) and so sadly did Bliar.

UKIP will do wel in Southern coastal areas for the wrong reasons, they tre already winning local Council seats around Brighton. Whether that wil be enough to get Labour back in nationally I don't know, but the Tories would bite the bullet and accept a coalition with UKIP if it kept them in power, but minus DC as Leader - that is if he isn't replaced after the Euro elections this May.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Agree with this; Farage ia man with charisma and none of the main Party leaders have it. Charlie Kennedy had it (even if it came from the bottle) and so sadly did Bliar.

UKIP will do wel in Southern coastal areas for the wrong reasons, they tre already winning local Council seats around Brighton. Whether that wil be enough to get Labour back in nationally I don't know, but the Tories would bite the bullet and accept a coalition with UKIP if it kept them in power, but minus DC as Leader - that is if he isn't replaced after the Euro elections this May.

Speaking as member of the Conservatives, I don't know of any plans to accept a coalition. I'd assume that's IF they win ANY seats at all in the next election, which I somewhat doubt. The mood within the Conservatives is one that we shouldn't form a coalition. He'd be replaced after the Euro elections? Laughable, Cameron is largely supported within the party. Very few actually have the capability of leading, unless of course, you know something us members don't know. The euro elections will be jumped on by the predominant eurosceptics, UKIP are likely to win seats. But will the gain an increase in the national share of votes? We won't know.

Last county elections Labour gained a lot of councils, but they didn't increase their share of the national vote. It was static, the UKIP vote mainly split the Conservative. Which may prove problematic in the next general election. What is for certain though, is that UKIP standing in Conservative targeted seats would mean they only give Labour or the Libdems the chance to gain or hold the seat.

There was a report recently suggesting the majority of UKIPs defected voter base isn't actually from the Conservatives. When I have time, I'll grab that article. It's an interesting read.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Speaking as member of the Conservatives, I don't know of any plans to accept a coalition. I'd assume that's IF they win ANY seats at all in the next election, which I somewhat doubt. The mood within the Conservatives is one that we shouldn't form a coalition. He'd be replaced after the Euro elections? Laughable, Cameron is largely supported within the party. Very few actually have the capability of leading, unless of course, you know something us members don't know. The euro elections will be jumped on by the predominant eurosceptics, UKIP are likely to win seats. But will the gain an increase in the national share of votes? We won't know.

Last county elections Labour gained a lot of councils, but they didn't increase their share of the national vote. It was static, the UKIP vote mainly split the Conservative. Which may prove problematic in the next general election. What is for certain though, is that UKIP standing in Conservative targeted seats would mean they only give Labour or the Libdems the chance to gain or hold the seat.

There was a report recently suggesting the majority of UKIPs defected voter base isn't actually from the Conservatives. When I have time, I'll grab that article. It's an interesting read.

I accept polls are wrong sometimes but the latest ones show Labour on around 37, Tories around 35, UKIP around 15% and Lib Dems under 10%. It will be interesting if that is the result in 2015 as to what horse trading is carried out to form a government.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The only way the Tories can stop the surge in support for UKIP is to get rid of Dodgy Dave and replace him with Boris Johnson. UKIP are not only taking votes away from the Tories they're also making a dent in the Labour and LidDem support too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I accept polls are wrong sometimes but the latest ones show Labour on around 37, Tories around 35, UKIP around 15% and Lib Dems under 10%. It will be interesting if that is the result in 2015 as to what horse trading is carried out to form a government.

On those ratings Labour would have a 44 seat majority.

D

Deleted member 22389

The only way the Tories can stop the surge in support for UKIP is to get rid of Dodgy Dave and replace him with Boris Johnson. UKIP are not only taking votes away from the Tories they're also making a dent in the Labour and LidDem support too.

Your right UKIP are starting to takes votes from every party. I can see Labour getting in, there will be no change, once people see that I can see more votes going UKIP's way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here