Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I found this when I was going through some old stuff last night

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Back row: Glen Wilson (physio), Chris Cattlin, Teddy Maybank, Ken Tiler, Malcolm Poskett, Eric Potts, George Aitken (coach);

Middle row: Ken Craggs (assistant manager), Tony Towner, Graham Winstanley, Eric Steele, Andy Rollings, Graham Moseley, Mark Lawrenson, Gary Williams, Alan Mullery (manager);

Front row: Paul Clark, Peter Ward, Brian Horton, Mike Bamber (chairman), Harry Bloom (vice-chairman), Peter O'Sullivan, Peter Sayer, John Ruggiero.

Rapper,were you really player of the year.I had an uncle who worked for Rediffusion he's in his seventies now.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Ahhh, you mean this....

79-80.jpg

I can see it now, stuck to my pinboard in my room when i was nine :thumbsup: Thanks for posting the image.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Rapper,were you really player of the year.I had an uncle who worked for Rediffusion he's in his seventies now.

I think that's wishful thinking on my part!

Was your uncle part of the Re-diffusion All-Stars?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
All I know is we had colour tellys in every room no questions arsed:wink:
His name is Melvin Simmonds.

I remember my family rented a Rediffusion telly. If you didn't press the bar hard enough to change channels, the screen malfunctioned into fuzziness. And it took a minute to warm up. I guess your family had the higher grade models!

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
The memories from that era make me feel young and old at the same time. I can't ever imagine feeling like that about an Albion team again, as much as I live and die my way through the current era. My main recollections of my childhood revolve around the Albion, the Goldstone and Waterhall. Wonderfully warm and glowing memories.

Bloody hell I'm old... :nono:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
If you had to make a team out of this squad and our current squad do you think any of today's players are better than any of these? Sadly no.

Well this old squad had:
- plenty of goals from midfield;
- plenty of bite in the tackle;
- plenty of leaders on the pitch;
- plenty of guys who could handle themselves when the going got tough/dirty and who you would want on your side in the trenches (and those smaller ones such as Wardy, Sully & Tiger were skilfull enough to get away from any trouble).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
No logos, probably no sweatshops either

KenBeamish (Medium).jpg

May 18, 2013
When I was at an Amex Legend Tour Alan Mullery explained that he left the club because he had agreed to sell Mark Lawrenson to Man Utd at the end of one week because the club needed £400,000 in the bank by Monday. Then Mike Bamber went over his head and sold the player to Liverpool at the weekend and Mullery resigned. So how come Mark Lawrenson is in a team photo with Mike Bailey?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When I was at an Amex Legend Tour Alan Mullery explained that he left the club because he had agreed to sell Mark Lawrenson to Man Utd at the end of one week because the club needed £400,000 in the bank by Monday. Then Mike Bamber went over his head and sold the player to Liverpool at the weekend and Mullery resigned. So how come Mark Lawrenson is in a team photo with Mike Bailey?

Because Alan Mullery occasionally has been know to get his memories in a twist.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Because Alan Mullery occasionally has been know to get his memories in a twist.

Yes. Mark Lawrenson was even briefly Albion captain, appointed by Mike Bailey.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Those who followed the Albion in that 79/80 season - what was the best away day? In terms of result and the day out. And what was our away following like that year?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Those who followed the Albion in that 79/80 season - what was the best away day? In terms of result and the day out. And what was our away following like that year?

Best away result was undoubtedly the 1-0 win at Forest.

Not sure about day out - was too long at the time...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I remember my family rented a Rediffusion telly. If you didn't press the bar hard enough to change channels, the screen malfunctioned into fuzziness. And it took a minute to warm up. I guess your family had the higher grade models!

To be fair, they also took ages to turn off, so it was all in the timing - turn off and on a minute before you needed to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here