Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renting out a spare bedroom

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The tax free exemption for rental income is currently £4,250 per year, which works out as £354.17 a month. Anything above that should be charged at your marginal rate of income tax, but in practice there's a huge amount of rental income which goes undeclared.

Is that just rental or does it include food?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I've rented out years ago and as an earlier poster said, instinct is a huge indicator as to whether a person will be suitable. If any red flags start popping up, then DON'T offer them the room. I always invited them round and had a semi formal chat. Yes, I was digging but not in a way as though I was grilling them. Getting a feel for their past, their current employment, their relationship status etc can be a factors that help you decide.

If I had the slightest doubt, I wouldn't offer them a room. A bloke once said to me: "When I'm looking for somewhere to live, I always like to check out the local pubs in the area first". That set alarms bells ringing. Potentially, he was always on the move and was a pisshead. Little things like that are what to watch for.

Setting ground rules are an absolute must. As also mentioned, these days you can get a template for a formal agreement when letting out a room in your property.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here