Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unnecessary repeated use of different words that mean the same thing

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Seriously, this is in my earnest opinion, I think, a grave matter.

Nevertheless, however, it's all crap and I do not give a shit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Were they the only two you spotted?

no they where not, i just wonder if they are deliberate or a oversite.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Double negatives don't never wind me up or perturb me in the slightest at all.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The line between deliberate and intentional errors/mistakes and those that are unintended and accidental is becoming blurred and distorted!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The line between deliberate and intentional errors/mistakes and those that are unintended and accidental is becoming blurred and distorted!

You could be right and possibly are.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I really get wound up by people who use the word "regularly" when they mean "frequently" .... especially when it is by otherwise intelligent people.

For example; recently on a TV post-match report a so-called expert said "Rooney regularly scores goals like that" ... which (it seems to me) would mean that at that time, in every match, in that position Rooney scores the same type of goal - which surely would be quite simple to defend?

Slightly off-topic I realise but it winds me up!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I really get wound up by people who use the word "regularly" when they mean "frequently" .... especially when it is by otherwise intelligent people.

For example; recently on a TV post-match report a so-called expert said "Rooney regularly scores goals like that" ... which (it seems to me) would mean that at that time, in every match, in that position Rooney scores the same type of goal - which surely would be quite simple to defend?

It might mean he scores a goal like that every 15 years. I think you should wait until 2029 before you criticise the report.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

By 'expert' did you mean someone who has a sound working knowledge of football who is able to convey his views to the 'man in the street' such that they would be easily understood or a professor of English ?

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Not sure I hear this one out of a snooker context very often but I love it when they say "betwixt and between", as if being betwixt is not bad enough, but between as well!!!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Not sure I hear this one out of a snooker context very often but I love it when they say "betwixt and between", as if being betwixt is not bad enough, but between as well!!!

It's also an excellent and brilliant book by the former Algeria goalkeeper and writer/philosopher Albert Camus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here