Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play for the Albion or Man u?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Le Tissier?
How much was he on, and how much was he offered by another club?

He spent his career in the top division, so not the equivalent of Brighton. And I'm not sure he was ever offered top dollar by a top club.

Last edited:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Depends how much money is involved to be brutally honest.

If it was 5 to 10 k per week Albion or 200 to 300k per week them then I would ask Lucifer if he had a pen.

Unfortunately, that is exactly what is wrong with today's game.

Your average footballer would struggle to stack an ASDA shelf, and if it wasn't for football would probably be earning around 12-15 grand A YEAR at best.

Suddenly they can earn 5-10 grand a week, but that isn't good enough for them.

Thick sods.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
No amount of money in the world would make me play for Man Ure if I was already earning above average wages.

If I was on say £40k a year playing for Brighton then there is no way on earth I would play for the scum even for £500k a week.

However I would consider other team for anything over what I was getting at Brighton

chez

Jul 5, 2003
I can't believe some of the stuff people are writing. If Man United were offering you 300k a week, no one turns that down unless you're 100% committed to a club. If Brighton were struggling in the lower depths of league 1, and a top Premiership team wants you, you will not say no. As much as you love something, sometimes it's best to let it go.

Sorry mate but that's just rubbish. Playing for Man Ure is like selling yourself to the devil. Not sure I could ever live with myself afterwards.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Sorry mate but that's just rubbish. Playing for Man Ure is like selling yourself to the devil. Not sure I could ever live with myself afterwards.

I'm sure you'd be saying that when you're playing for the greatest English club to exist. Why do you hate them so much? They're a dominant team, happens in all sports.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Not afraid to admit it.... I'm a whore for the pound and business is business.

All joking aside...... You can never dismiss the dream of playing for team you love and come on people.......we've all had that dream of putting on that stripped shirt!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Even if you're the right-headed sort that realised that you don't need more than £10k a week to live on, surely you'd accept the filthy lucre to ply your trade at the highest level and give the rest to charity?

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Double post

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would rather play for Man Utd, mostly because I am a shit footballer and I wouldn't care if they were relegated because of my shocking inability to control a football.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I understand that. But when we find out your the world's most gifted footballer, your life will change. You will train every day with footballers, and you'll mix with the rich and famous - so many of your friends will be rich and famous, and you'll want to hang out with them. And they'll be earning £200k a week, and showing you all the nice things they've bought. And when you go on holiday, and are recognised by everyone on the street, you may want your own villa, or to stay somewhere slightly more exclusive than the riff raff. And when you fly off to Monaco for the weekend, you'll want to take your old mates that can't afford it, so you'll buy them tickets too. You'll realise you don't have to choose between the Lamborghini and the Ferrari, you can have them both.

The fact is, there must be loads of people like you, that don't want for more than £5k a week, and to play for their team. But every single time one of those people turns out to be great at football, they go where the money is. Tell me of 1 British player that hasn't, and I'll retract my view.

Yes. He forgot to remove the K. I couldn't be bothered to say.

We're fans, so it's different. If I was that good I'd love to stay and take Brighton to be the best - unfortunately I doubt the rest of the team would stay with me.

I'm answer to your question, Steve bull. Never played in the top flight despite going to the world cup with England. But that was before the money was quite so good

chez

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure you'd be saying that when you're playing for the greatest English club to exist. Why do you hate them so much? They're a dominant team, happens in all sports.

Who is the greatest club to exist? I hope you mean Brighton and not the red scum.

They are the only team in Britain (actually make that the world) that I would throw a celebration party for if they went under. Absolute scum of the highest order. I can't even think about them without getting angry, I feel physically sick when I see their badge, and playing for them would be something I could not even contemplate. I know every club has their fans but I honestly have no idea why anybody would decide to support them. They could be playing any team in the world & I would want them to get smashed.

I have a soft spot for Spurs as all my family come from there and I consider them my 2nd team (if there can be such a thing) but last week in the North London Derby I wantede Arsenal to win because it means that it's less likely that Man Ure will be able to reach the top 4!

And Breathe!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're fans, so it's different.
Not really. Most players would have been fans from a young age, well before they made it as a pro.

I'm answer to your question, Steve bull. Never played in the top flight despite going to the world cup with England. But that was before the money was quite so good
I thought of Steve Bull when I asked. I assume he'd have got a pay rise if he'd moved, but not as much of a rise as we're discussing in this thread. On Wiki it says he turned down the opportunity to play for Coventry, so hardly Man U.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Who is the greatest club to exist? I hope you mean Brighton and not the red scum.

They are the only team in Britain (actually make that the world) that I would throw a celebration party for if they went under. Absolute scum of the highest order. I can't even think about them without getting angry, I feel physically sick when I see their badge, and playing for them would be something I could not even contemplate. I know every club has their fans but I honestly have no idea why anybody would decide to support them. They could be playing any team in the world & I would want them to get smashed.

It's not so much the ubiquitous badge as the vomit-inducing abbreviations of their name, especially the one that suggests that the club from Salford is somehow representative of humanity itself (you know the one I mean - I can't bring myself to mention it).

As for every club having their fans, it's probably the glory-hunters from Surrey and Devon (and, yes, even Sussex) who have chosen to 'support' this global brand that is the single most hateful thing about them.

One thing, though; there is another club whose demise I'd celebrate - P*rtsm**th.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Glad it's not just me, it's a ghastly thing isn't it? Only the Man U and Palace badges have this affect on me.

And angry. I feel angry for some reason as well. My Facebook feed has been almost bearable this year as they've been so crap, all the plastics have hidden.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Think Chez and Buzzer (if they've posted in this thread) will pretty much cover my thoughts on the subject.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Probably nothing beats playing for your hometown team, regardless of what level you have played at. Fair play to Chadwick. A lot of players who don't make it at a top club fall out of love with the game and get disillusioned, whereas clearly he still enjoys the buzz of playing the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here