Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone going to heckle our* supposed MP as she stands trial in court on criminal charges..

The problem with solar power on our homes, is that it produces energy when we don't need it. We need most energy in the evenings of our cold dark winters, when our solar panels are producing nothing at all.

As for it being a good idea (for the country as a whole) for helping a little with our electricity: what happens to the energy we can't use in the day? It's supposed to be sent to the grid, but does it actually get used, and how efficient is that?

Agreed that solar power doesn't help during the cold dark winter nights but people can adapt the way they use their appliances e.g using their washing dish washer/machine/tumble drier during the daylight hours.

I'm no expert and only have my limited knowledge by reading articles off the internet etc, but I think that electricity generated but not used during the day is used by the grid hence the reason why you get paid for it.

Here are some links about FITs:

http://www.yougen.co.uk/feed-in-tariff/#communitysolar

http://www.which.co.uk/energy/creating-an-energy-saving-home/guides/feed-in-tariffs-explained/

Info about the National Grid:

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Our-company/Electricity/Balancing-the-network/

http://www.energysavingcommunity.co.uk/exporting-electricity-grid.html

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm no expert and only have my limited knowledge by reading articles off the internet etc, but I think that electricity generated but not used during the day is used by the grid hence the reason why you get paid for it.
I don't think it works that well. You get paid for it, because the government had to do something green. They pay you for the energy you collect, even if nothing happens with that energy.

Thanks for the links, I'll try and take a look when I have time.

I don't think it works that well. You get paid for it, because the government had to do something green. They pay you for the energy you collect, even if nothing happens with that energy.

Why don't you think it works that well? I can't find any info about how effective micro-generation is in terms in supplying the national grid via utility companies.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Siemens? But they're a huge multi national corporation. How can they POSSIBLY be good for the environment? You wait, it'll be like Southwick Tunnel. What they're really housing is a factory to buy enormous machines, machines powered solely by fracked gas, that can read your brain and send the results directly to MI5. You mark my words.

The problem with solar power on our homes, is that it produces energy when we don't need it. We need most energy in the evenings of our cold dark winters, when our solar panels are producing nothing at all.

As for it being a good idea (for the country as a whole) for helping a little with our electricity: what happens to the energy we can't use in the day? It's supposed to be sent to the grid, but does it actually get used, and how efficient is that?

We have eight PV solar panels (2kWish in total), heat our hot water/house with an air-source heat pump supplementing with a wood/smokeless fuel burner and/or an open fire in winter. The electricity we buy from the grid is on an Economy 7 tariff.

Our summer-time (March-Oct) consumption of electricity compared with before the panels were fitted (Nov 2011) is down by a figure approximately equivalent to that generated by the PV system. On an annual basis we generate a tad over 1800kW (=5kW/day) although from Nov-Feb the average is nearer 1.2kW/day. FIT payments are around £875 with an additional £210ish "saved" by not having to buy 1800kW from the grid.

Any excess goes back into the grid but doesn't get measured unless you have a export meter fitted. We don't have such and this is normal unless the PV system is 30kW (and how ugly will all those panels look?); instead the FIT tariff assumes 50% of the PV generated electricity goes to the grid and currently pays us an additional 3.3p/kW (£30pa) on this.

The National Grid is constantly monitoring electricity demand/generation and switches the various macro power stations on/off as required. Hydro-electric is a virtually instantaneous response but best not tell the SNP.

Finally, we've not installed any additional measures (eg further insulation as we have mostly solid walls) since we refurbished the house in late 2009. The Govt is also about to roll-out an additional FIT arrangement for people with domestic heat pumps installed after August 2009; I think we will qualify for this.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Just popped out of my office to see what the commotion was - plenty of happy faces but no heckling.
Guess HB&B must've forgotten to put it in his diary?..

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just popped out of my office to see what the commotion was - plenty of happy faces but no heckling.
Guess HB&B must've forgotten to put it in his diary?..

Perhaps he was won over by the defences argument in court, and was part of the cheering crowd seeing good old British Justice win out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here