Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "dreadful" transport situation - a poll

How satisfied are you, generally, with the Amex travel arrangements?

• Total voters

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thought I'd do a quick poll to see whether there really is a lot of discontent regarding Amex travel or whether it's just a few people who like to moan. I realise there are some specific problems on specific occasions, but OVERALL, how happy are you with the travel situation.

Personally, I think it works well considering the size of the crowds, though I think it's a shame that Moulsecoomb isn't available as an occasional option for a quick getaway. I think the trains are (generally) fantastic.

Stumpy Tim

I do Park & Ride at Mill Road (well Ride as I live close to the top of Mill Rd), and it's very good. One minor change I would make is to set the left-lane on the slip road to Falmer as a "Right-turn for buses" lane. Otherwise it's hard to criticise

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Far from dreadful, we probably have some of the best transport to/from a stadium in the country, excluding London clubs of course. Trains every 10 minutes in each direction with 6+ coaches, a massive coach/matchday bus service covering the entire county and a fairly well run Park and Ride service.

There will always be issues getting 30k to and from a stadium but the Amex does a pretty good job with the transport, especially with the recent changes which have massively improved things, sending P&R buses via the Uni last night helped as well.

Control is badly needed at the roundabout at the top of the slip road though, possibly police control or part time traffic lights as it is pretty dangerous with the amount of cars, buses and bikes that cut each other up. A bus lane up the slip road is also needed (right hand side) and i have heard rumours that highways might be putting one in over the Summer, but more control is needed for that to work.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Mithras House park & ride has been excellent this season.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Thought I'd do a quick poll to see whether there really is a lot of discontent regarding Amex travel or whether it's just a few people who like to moan. I realise there are some specific problems on specific occasions, but OVERALL, how happy are you with the travel situation.

Personally, I think it works well considering the size of the crowds, though I think it's a shame that Moulsecoomb isn't available as an occasional option for a quick getaway. I think the trains are (generally) fantastic.

Yep, exactly my thoughts, I got to the bridge car park at 9.55 and got out at 10.40, home for 10.55, it seems daft that Moulsecoomb isn't also used as an exit. When I've used the P&R I am normally home by 10.30 ish.

There should be a "not happy but can put up with it" option in the poll.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I get the train every game and can honestly say I haven't had an issue with it this season. The only exception being that day when all the trains were screwed up by the flooding at Patcham, that hardly counts though.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I do Park & Ride at Mill Road (well Ride as I live close to the top of Mill Rd), and it's very good. One minor change I would make is to set the left-lane on the slip road to Falmer as a "Right-turn for buses" lane. Otherwise it's hard to criticise

Very much this^

Some drivers do it, and it's frustrating when you're on one which doesn't take advantage. It's the difference between a 20 and 30 minuet ride!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't think it's dreadful. Can't comment on P&R as I don't use it but i have been on a couple of Seagulls Travel coaches and they were excellent, no complaints at all. Sitting in a queue to get out of the Bridge car park after the Palace play off match has to be one of the most miserable experiences ever. However....

...mostly I take the train. This is generally "satisfactory" and therefore I voted "satisfied". There are a number of things that need improving. Some could be done and others are either unfortunate or unfixable. Specifically:

1) No extra capacity on Coastway West. The trains in to Brighton from the West are always overcrowded and late. At Portslade you are already playing a game of 'can I get on' and by Aldrington you need the services of a Japanese rush hour people pusher. Coming back the Coastway West queue and boarding is managed by people who are far more clueless than the Falmer stewards.

2) Last night putting on a direct train for QPR was a joke. Barely any stayed to the end never mind 10.10. Consequently it sat there empty, preventing people getting to Lewes and beyond. I stayed for a very leisurely pint yet the queue on the bridge was enormous. No one seems to have worked out how to manage letting Seaford v Eastbourne people on to the platform.

3) Drivers who forget they're supposed to stop at Falmer on match day evenings. Happened twice at evening games now.

4) The whole system is very, very fragile. One cock up and it'll be down like dominos.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Happy with the service for Saturday games but for midweek games could do with a major cab rank and/or a dedicated bus service serving Brighton/Hove/Shoreham town centres rather than just P&R. Current setup has a significant effect on midweek attendances IMHO.

Yoda

English & European
I never have a problem with the trains until I get to Brighton. Just wish Southern would lay on a few extra trains/carriages on trains out of Brighton going North/West.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can understand how a one-off visitor, particularly one who has done no research, may think it poor but for regular visitors I think it's fine - I certainly have no issue with it. It's trains most of the time for me, although I've used the Uni and Bridge car parks on a few occasions.

(It did sound as though I got lucky last night - reaching Worthing around the same time as those who left the Amex an hour before me)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Part of the problem is impatience. People expect to arrive when they want and get away on the same basis ignoring that there are 25k others wanting to do the same. I park and ride at Mill Road as I have done since the first season at Withdean. Apart from last night, I always leave on the final whistle and never get on the first tranche of buses but normally home within an hour of the final whistle (to B/Hill) which I consider acceptable. If the club was located in the centre of Brighton it would be even worse for those that drive.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Park and ride is excellent. I stay until the final whistle and am usually back to my car and doing 70 mph on the A23 with 45-50 mins. I've no doubt that there are stadiums with plenty of car parking within a 5-10 minute walk. However, you'd probably spend the next 30-40 mins crawling along in traffic as 25k other supporters make their way home.

Never had a problem with trains either. Usually back in Brighton or Lewes within 30 mins of leaving my seat at full time. Although, I've not used them on a week day night.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It was never awful on the trains and has got consistently better. Saturday's are great now.

Last night was noticeably busier than usual. Still wasn't a major problem, though I stayed for 2 pints rather than the usual 1 so missed the real rush.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
For me I think the arrangements as great.
If I take the motorcycle I can park for free in the bus park with no restrictions on when I can leave, no waiting for anything or anyone.
If I take the car it's a pain walking from Bridge car park, and hassle to get out so don't generally use this option.
If I take the bus It always leaves at 5.10 on afternoon games and drops me outside my door 10 mins later.
The only thing that could improve it is if they let me park my bike right outside the entrance but TBH even I think that's a bit too much to ask. In any case if they let me i would still have fight my way through the crowd on it after the game so im better off walking up to the bus park.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
3) Drivers who forget they're supposed to stop at Falmer on match day evenings. Happened twice at evening games now.

Explained on the other thread - that was planned and the driver didnt forget. Was an empty train for the QPR special which was late-running - was due to pass through non-stop before FT, but due to the delay - it made it look like the driver forgot the stop, which if that was to happen - then it is taken incredibly seriously. Think the other time last season was due to a fault on board the train, which no staff bothered to communicate.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Saturdays perfect.

Mid week ok but as previously said , trains departing Brighton west need to be better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here