Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Pistorius

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
This has mostly been a grown up discussion of a serious crime, with some respect shown toward the young victim who was shot in the head, cowering in fear of her life.

So it hasn't, no. Well done.

What can I ever do to make it up to you. How can you ever forgive me?

Take your head out of your arse. This is NSC, some serious discussion, lots of childish bollox and the occasional silly humour.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What can I ever do to make it up to you. How can you ever forgive me?

Take your head out of your arse. This is NSC, some serious discussion, lots of childish bollox and the occasional silly humour.

Bless.

Plenty of room on here for 'chidish bollox' and 'silly humour'. Most people are pretty good at judging such things. Some are not,

Hey ho.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I think the main issue here is that the only people who really know the real sequence of events are Oscar and Reeva. This just leaves Oscars versions of events and the prosecution can only pick apart his account of what happened as there is nobody else available to give another account of what actually happened. This alone will make it very hard to offer another version of events as anything other than speculation.

The decision will rest on how much the lack of credibility in oscars version allows the likelihood of the other version of events to be believed. That is a big ask when hanging a murder tag on someone and I don't think by any means this one is in the bag.

Certainly a very interesting case to follow and will be interesting to hear what other evidence is heard to support the case

I see what you are saying, but if this was the case any crime between two people with no witnesses, cameras etc could never be proved.

The true sentenced would never get passed for domestic violence. I could go home tonight. Shoot my misses, claim I thought she was an intruder and because it was just myself and her there they wouldn't be able to prove it was premeditated murder.

There is no doubt in my mind if this was someone who wasn't a South African idol, standing up in court with the exact same sequence of events, they would go down for 1st degree murder quicker than OP can fire four bullets.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Bless.

Plenty of room on here for 'chidish bollox' and 'silly humour'. Most people are pretty good at judging such things. Some are not, Hey ho.

Yeah bless, whatever. So can you honestly say you have never told a joke or heard a joke (and giggled even though you didn't want to) of something tragic that has happened? It doesn't mean people don't care.

I've been following this trial like everyone else; even joining in serious discussions!! Hoping that OP gets what he deserves as I believe he is as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo.

But I apologise if I offended you and hope we can still be friends. NSC friends (thumbs up)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yeah bless, whatever. So can you honestly say you have never told a joke or heard a joke (and giggled even though you didn't want to) of something tragic that has happened? It doesn't mean people don't care.

I've been following this trial like everyone else; even joining in serious discussions!! Hoping that OP gets what he deserves as I believe he is as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo.

But I apologise if I offended you and hope we can still be friends. NSC friends (thumbs up)

Your comment is as valid as his. Stick with it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Apparently, you cannot get DNA from wee wee in the toilet. As she had wee in her bladder still, it suits the Prosecution case more.

Talking to myself now - that's not good

Just to let you know that you are not 'talking to yourself'...........I look in several times during the day on my i-phone for updates etc.

It is not only an interesting case, but also one in a country whose culture is not exactly the same as ours. Your updates, no doubt helped by summaries from the S.African media, help give us a flavour of what is and what isn't important in the various testimonies.

I don't envy the judge. The whole world watching.....hard decisions for her to make and she won't be able to blame an 'anonymous' jury, as in England if she gets it wrong.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just listened to an attorney on the telly who "cannot emphasise enough how damaging that cross-examination today was to Oscar". He is saying that essentially, the defence has relied on someone unqualified to back up their case and all they have done is made the court think that their case is more improbable that it was before.

It is his opinion that the defence have struggled to find experts to support them. He also believes that in this 2 week break coming up, he would not be surprised at all if the defence tried to come up with a plea bargain.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just listened to an attorney on the telly who "cannot emphasise enough how damaging that cross-examination today was to Oscar". He is saying that essentially, the defence has relied on someone unqualified to back up their case and all they have done is made the court think that their case is more improbable that it was before.

It is his opinion that the defence have struggled to find experts to support them. He also believes that in this 2 week break coming up, he would not be surprised at all if the defense tried to come up with a plea bargain.

Easy for me to say in hindsight, but having watched it today, I was thinking exactly the same thing with regard to the witness and I wondered if I was hearing it all correctly. It left me wondering whether the defense team are incompetent in not getting the properly qualified people involved, or they simply couldn't get the properly qualified people to say what they needed to be said.

Today felt like another big day for the prosecution and a big dent for the defense. Roger Dixon's credibility is in tatters as he revealed a real lack of methodology in putting together his experiments, observations and findings. Presenting a facade of expertise through what is clearly an intelligent man, Nel ripped through him with such ferocity, that I ended up feeling sorry for Dixon, although hopefully he's been paid well enough for his humiliation so far on the stand.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"Roses are red, violets are blue, don't shoot me Oscar, I'm having a poo"

Sorry if it's been done.

I thought it was "roses are red, violets are glorious, never surprise, Oscar Pistorius"?

When they were reading out Valentines Day cards in court the other day, I was slightly disappointed that no-one thought to slip that in on a sheet of paper, just to bring some much-needed levity to such a sad, tragic case.

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
I haven't read this thread. I have watched (or listened) to most of the witness testimony live on Sky News.

In my opinion Prestorius knew exactly what he was doing and who was behind that door when he pulled the trigger. However I also think the defence has raised just about enough doubt to get him off the pre-meditated murder charge. The culpable homicide charge is different, a complete lock irrespective of who he thought was in that toilet, he's drawing dead on that one surely?

If Prestorius is cleared of all charges I'll be shocked, OJ Simpson mark II in 2014.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I haven't read this thread. I have watched (or listened) to most of the witness testimony live on Sky News.

In my opinion Prestorius knew exactly what he was doing and who was behind that door when he pulled the trigger. However I also think the defence has raised just about enough doubt to get him off the pre-meditated murder charge. The culpable homicide charge is different, a complete lock irrespective of who he thought was in that toilet, he's drawing dead on that one.

If Prestorius is cleared of all charges I'll be shocked. It'll OJ Simpson mark II. Surely that can't happen again?

I'm sure the OJ scenario won't happen again. It's only similar to a point that it is high profile, but is different because there is no argument with who killed Reeva.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Decision expected late July or Early August according to the SKY News reporter down in Pretoria. Two week break after tomorrow.

They need that time to put that bloody door back.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

In my opinion Prestorius knew exactly what he was doing and who was behind that door when he pulled the trigger. However I also think the defence has raised just about enough doubt to get him off the pre-meditated murder charge. The culpable homicide charge is different, a complete lock irrespective of who he thought was in that toilet, he's drawing dead on that one surely?

If Prestorius is cleared of all charges I'll be shocked, OJ Simpson mark II in 2014.

I think he is and it is unlikely that the Judge and her assessors will be swayed like a jury could be. The number of people here still thinking Oscar is squeaky clean and some sort of a hero is worrying - get a couple of those on a jury and anything could happen.

This case is also being looked at from the domestic violence perspective. Domestic violence here against women is rife and a huge issue and this case is raising the question about how much does the prosecution have to do to get a guilty verdict. At the end of the day it his his story against no-one else's (as she is dead) and in a case like this if you had to find definitive proof of his guilt, you would never find it and hence in many other domestic violence cases as well. By some, this is being looked upon as a very important case in this regard, and is the reason why the ANC Women's League are with the Steenkamp's every day in court. If the judge, being female, finds him guilty of murder, it will send out a huge signal - that is the theory anyway. No pressure on her then....

I have not phrased that very well so I hope you see what I am trying to say.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The scenario that seems most likely to me is that of a row or argument. Reeva hides in the toilet to escape a crazed Oscar, be tries to beat the door down with a cricket bat, he then gets his gun and tries to shoot the lock. He then picks up his cricket bat and breaks through the door. I do not believe he intended to shoot Reeva but I do believe in the split seconds he pulled the trigger and aimed at the lock, he did not care if the bullets hit her or not. Oscar's temper and lust for guns caused this tragic affair.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The scenario that seems most likely to me is that of a row or argument. Reeva hides in the toilet to escape a crazed Oscar, be tries to beat the door down with a cricket bat, he then gets his gun and tries to shoot the lock. He then picks up his cricket bat and breaks through the door. I do not believe he intended to shoot Reeva but I do believe in the split seconds he pulled the trigger and aimed at the lock, he did not care if the bullets hit her or not. Oscar's temper and lust for guns caused this tragic affair.

Aiming at the lock...blimey, he's got a worse aim than me!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The theory that he chased he into the toilet with a gun doesn't stack up either. The experts have said that she was facing the door when she was first hit. If she was in fear of being shot she would've hid in the bath or at least away from the door, it's a big bathroom so it wouldn't have been difficult to get out of the way.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
More dismantling of Dixon's testimony. He has confirmed that his version is that Reeva fell onto the magazine rack, Oscar's version is that she was not on the magazine rack when he went into toilet. So that is of no help whatsoever to Oscar's case. Dixon also went to do a "test" of the light in the bedroom when the curtains are closed, but as he went to do this during the day, it is a rather pointless test, which Nel is picking apart right now.

I think we can assume that there is very little, if any, of his testimony that is worthwhile. The opinion of many is that his testimony is hurting Oscar more than helping, as these "tests" were so unscientific and unprofessional that, if this is the best the defence can come up with, they are really struggling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here