Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Pistorius

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Looks like it could get messy when it is his turn on the 'stand'.

Throwing up in court when he just has to listen to evidence.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I still can't get my head around no jury. In this day and age, how can a justice system in a democracy work like this!?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
He shot her. Why must we have sympathy with the man?

Because (if his side of the story is actually correct) then he has pretty much ruined his life through an awful decision and killed his partner in the process.

Im undecided whether he did intentionally shoot her or not, if found not guilty - then i may well have sympathy with him. If guilty - throw the book at him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because (if his side of the story is actually correct) then he has pretty much ruined his life through an awful decision and killed his partner in the process.

Im undecided whether he did intentionally shoot her or not, if found not guilty - then i may well have sympathy with him. If guilty - throw the book at him.

He shot to kill with unreasonable force whoever he thought was in that bathroom.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

At best, he did not check where she was and he shot blindly, seemingly without warning, through a locked toilet door. I have no sympathy for anyone who acts so recklessly.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Guilty as hell. Shot the poor girl in a jealous rage. He hasn't got a leg to stand on in court.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
At best, he did not check where she was and he shot blindly, seemingly without warning, through a locked toilet door. I have no sympathy for anyone who acts so recklessly.

Presumably that is a criminal offence punishable by a prison sentence... even in South Africa?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
He shot to kill with unreasonable force whoever he thought was in that bathroom.

Is shooting to kill when being burgled considered unreasonable force in SA? Not being facetious, I just genuinely don't know considering the different attitudes between here and there.

Regardless of that, killing an unnamed intruder intentionally and your partner unintentionally are going to be worlds apart in terms of psychological impact. If nothing else, you make a conscious decision to actually go for the house invader.

I should add, I've genuinely no idea if he's guilty, nor would I want to guess at it now. If he turns out to be innocent then it's an incredibly sad situation for all concerned, espcially the poor girl's family, who wouldn't be being unreasonable if they felt that their daughter's death (and causes) was being overshadowed by the 'showbiz' element of the trial.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Guilty as hell. Shot the poor girl in a jealous rage. He hasn't got a leg to stand on in court.

Ahh, rolling out the old amputee jokes. Original.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Is shooting to kill when being burgled considered unreasonable force in SA? Not being facetious, I just genuinely don't know considering the different attitudes between here and there.

It depends on the circumstances. There is a short article here about it http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/how-the-law-views-killing-a-burglar-1.1471280#.Ux2wEz-SySo

My interpretation of that article is that in Oscar's case no, it is not reasonable, essentially because he was in a secure estate, where the chances of a burglar entering his property were very small.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It depends on the circumstances. There is a short article here about it http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/how-the-law-views-killing-a-burglar-1.1471280#.Ux2wEz-SySo

My interpretation of that article is that in Oscar's case no, it is not reasonable, essentially because he was in a secure estate, where the chances of a burglar entering his property were very small.

I'n not able to read that at the minute but definitely will later, thank you for pointing it out.

Without me having read the article, so this could be way off, you're only able to justifiably kill an intruder if you live in a dodgy area?

That does sound bizarre, surely you're not likely to attract a higher class of criminal on a secure estate, just a better one (they got on the estate affer all). Once a criminal's in your house, they're in, external security doesn't really mean a lot at that point surely?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

Another thing that should go against him is that the pathologist has revealed today that the ammo used was called Black Talon (or Ranger), which is designed to flatten on impact causing maximum damage. So his ammo was designed to kill, not stop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here