Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Wigan 1997

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I came down from Camden for that game, it was a fantastic result and the train ride back upto London was great with Wigan fans who had nothing but praise for our fans and plight. Another great win in our run in that year, we even beat Cardiff in that run I think, although they were less gracious in defeat

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Was there that day and remember it well as part of Steve Gritts incredible home 'invincibles' run of form. Wigan were top dogs (younger seagulls, they were a pub outfit all their history until this point - I kid you not, they didn't even have a ground as good as withdean!) and we still took points off then when bottom of the football league (not just division!)

I was so exhausted from these types of games giving my all to the Albion cause in those dark days that even though a young man I couldn't cope with going out on Sat nights after games. Was left shattered! No one gave us a prayer but the belief slowly came back as we pulled off a footballing miracle I'm proud to have witnessed and played a part in. Cometh the hour, comets the man. And his name was Robbie reinelt :)

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Feel a bit choked watching that! The north that day was rocking. I remember seeing a group of Wigan supporters before the game, decent blokes, but they all kept banging on about their striker who'd scored more goals than our team that year! Think his name was Smith or Jones?? Anyway, if I remember rightly (after a few pints of anaesthetic before the match) it was a really hot day and we were the better team. And yes I also remember Jeffrey Minton having a blinder....amazing times, remembered very fondly. Still feel nervous watching it though!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Like many others, I suspect, this was my last game at the Goldstone and it was on my birthday too. I remember lots of tension, relief at the end and then turning and walking straight out into Goldstone Lane holding back the tears. The next time I saw the old place it was a rubble strewn waste land surrounded by a wire fence.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Nice, thanks for that. 'We are Brighton' as always been my favourite song. I only started going a few years before this, just as everything went tits up. Weird that, that collection of very poor footballers will be forever etched on to my memory as the Brighton I first came to love.

You may as well have written this for me too.
Exactly my thoughts. :clap2:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I much prefer the way the teams took to the field too-none of this 'everybody shake hands' stuff.

Feb 14, 2010
They were interesting times and as its now worked out, its great to have been there. Not just a pop at the palace but all clubs that have a kid with drum.. that is what a proper atmosphere is like, even with half the East terrace and corner condemned and closed.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I remember the game, as it was the last time I stood in the North Stand. I had an East Stand ticket for the Doncaster game.

After going 1-0 up, it seemed to take forever for injury time to go and the ref to blow his whistle.

My abiding memory was as I left the North Stand for the last time, the PA guy put on Tina Turners "Simply the Best", as a tribute to us the fans, he said "I know we haven't always got on, but you really are.....".

The song might be a cliche, but its forevers etched into my mind from that day.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Feel a bit choked watching that! The north that day was rocking. I remember seeing a group of Wigan supporters before the game, decent blokes, but they all kept banging on about their striker who'd scored more goals than our team that year! Think his name was Smith or Jones?

Graeme Jones. That was one of those games which seemed certain to sever our hopes, a Houdini act beyond the magician. Also one of those millions of games, I think, where a burst and cross from Storer or McDonald (looking at the left-sidedness of the cross, probably McDonald this time) proved golden. Seeing football's abstract use of wingers these days seems alien if your earliest memories are of the simplicity of two quick wingers who could find the six yard box.

nelson73

Jan 9, 2014
lancing
i was behind the goal in the north stand for this game.stood in the southwest corner for the donny game the atmosphere for both games was amazing

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Goldstone. Such a lovely place in the sunshine.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
and a bloke called Martinez played, wonder what happened to him. Goldstone was like a fortress from Dec 96 0nwards, Fantastic footage, AMEX goers look and learn how vocal support can make all the difference.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
That was my last game inside the Goldstone - I watched the Donny game stood on a wall above the East Stand.

Was it a smash and grab? I remember Wigan were guaranteed promotion, but not the title at the time. I remember very little about the game itself.

Same here but was in the north that day. I remember shedding a small tear on my way home that day, but what a result that was against a Wigan who were starting on their long journey up the leagues.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Graeme Jones. That was one of those games which seemed certain to sever our hopes, a Houdini act beyond the magician. Also one of those millions of games, I think, where a burst and cross from Storer or McDonald (looking at the left-sidedness of the cross, probably McDonald this time) proved golden. Seeing football's abstract use of wingers these days seems alien if your earliest memories are of the simplicity of two quick wingers who could find the six yard box.

It was annoying me so I looked it up and yes, it was Graeme Jones, good memory mate.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I was there in the north stand that day, and had brought three non-Brighton fans with me who had missed Fans United day but wanted to come down for a game and support the cause. Memorable day, great atmosphere and a well-deserved win.

Nice little rendition of 'Just like watching Brazil' near the end of that vid - I'm sure we invented that chant (begun in irony when we were total sh*te but then later sung in games when we were playing well). Barnsley just copied us!

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, my first game watching the Albion was in 1993 and we won 1-0 at the Goldstone!
Wouldn't mind a repeat tomorrow or maybe 2 this time! Seagulls!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My last ever game at the Goldstone, I'd got back from Australia the day before after a year away so it was also my first home match that season. I was in the East Stand South. I'm glad to have left that place on a win. Poignant.

Feb 14, 2010
My last ever game at the Goldstone, I'd got back from Australia the day before after a year away so it was also my first home match that season. I was in the East Stand South. I'm glad to have left that place on a win. Poignant.

My first game at The Soldstone was on the East as was my last. I know some are for and some against but I really do think that turning the lower tier of the East terrace into a terrace would enhance the new ground ten fold. It would look superb, generate noise for the players, people standing there would love it and the Albion without an East terrace is like Tom without Jerry. As Tony Bloom is a proper Albion fan then I wonder if he thinks the same every now and again.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Brilliant win against a very good side, I think they comfortably went up that seaon.

The thing that sticks in my head about that game as well as Maskell's brilliant header was their fans singing 'good luck to the Albion' during the game. They were brilliant before and after the match also.

Their fans get a lot of stick but I've always had a lot of time for them since that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here