Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you believe in man made climate change?

Do you believe in climate change?

• Yes I think it more than likely exists now

Votes: 143 78.1%
  • No, its a global conspiracy

Votes: 40 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I like to follow and believe scientific evidence and peer reviews, hence of course I bloody believe it.

I expect a proportion of the public to not believe it as they don't have the facts, or have the care to research. Try finding a person with money in fossil fuels that isn't a denier. I think that tells you the story.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Similar to notters in that I help developments happen, the interest of most of my clients is that they'd buld everything as quickly and cheeply as they can. But I've still read enough to know that I believe human caused climate change is occurring.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I wonder if the dinosaurs had a poll on Northstandroar

Poll: This here 6 mile wide meteor that's on its way
This poll will close on 20-02-66,035,986BC at 15:45

Yes I think that meteor strike will wipe us out

No don't be a **** the worse thing that will happen is we will get a massive fireworks display

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
The amount of money invested in the research of climate change is absolutely minuscule compared to the amount of money invested in businesses that stand to directly lose from climate change reduction policies (coal companies, oil companies), and which have verifiably donated money to think tanks that promote skepticism on climate change. Besides, even if the climate change wasn't anthropogenic, it would still be a serious risk and climate change scientists would still get their money to study it - they have no real incentives to directly pin it on humanity if there was no strong evidence that it was man-made. That's particularly the case since studying anthropogenic climate change tends to draw in attacks from outside parties, including legal harassment (such as what Ken Cuccinelli tried to do to Michael Mann when he was attorney general of Virginia).*
We can measure the effects of CO2 in trapping heat in the laboratory, and have been able to do so since the 1920s. The models aren't perfect, but they've made predictions that held up under examination, including the prediction of the effects of short-term events like the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo on the climate and weather. Even scientists who were deeply skeptical about the modeling have come around due to the strength of many independent lines of evidence for anthropogenic climate change, such as Richard Muller (who wrote an extremely good essay for the*New York Times*about why he came around to it despite skepticism). It's like the evidence for evolution, which does not come from one single source but many.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Climate change is cyclical over centuries and nothing to do with an excuse to raise taxes.
A load of political b*ll*cks in truth.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's nothing like that straightforward though is it. What does 'incur some sacrifices' mean? Do we have to waste the worlds resources on some 'green' energy that costs more in materials than it will make up in energy, while China is going through fuel with no thought to the consequences? Or does it mean coming to a global agreement on what countries like China has to do, for them to be able to trade with the world?

Incurring some sacrifices means changing our behaviour to a more sustainable lifestyle, preferably via tax incentives. As more and more people get effected by climate change global opinion will change both in the west and the developing world

While we have all this rain Australia has a severe drought, they will soon be reliant on imported food..

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I tend to think we play a strong part in climate change, but at the same time often think how we like to think we're responsible for everything in the same way that we like to believe that we are made in the image of God. We all look like replicas of deities, for heaven's sake. We like to think we have a hand in everything, at present with a permanent sense of gloom it's to bring about catastrophes that will destroy the world and more, as if that really matters in the wider scheme of things.
So, i think we probably do have a dark influence on these current meteoroligical outbursts, but at the same time we do it in a somehow destructive godly fashion.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
The Aussies can eat Kangaroo to their hearts content - I'm sure they sit well on their barbies.
Makes a nice change from shrimps, or as we correctly call them in this country, prawns.
Ignorant convicts. (ditto yanks)

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
"Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position."
http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

These are scientists, not politicians, and 97% is a massive consensus when it comes to science. Of course it's anthropogenic. So many other theories that people are happy to accept as fact have less scientific consensus than ACC.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Since the little ice age, it has taken about 800 years for the oceans to warm up, and that warmth is affecting the weather. Man really is much more insignificant than he thinks he is. Nature always wins.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
What a terrible argument, cows are part of human-induced climate changed. There wouldn't be 1.5 billion cattle in the world if it wasn't for agriculture.

Quite. They would be extinct. As would pigs, chickens, and anything else man grows or nurtures to eat. And so, for that matter, would man be extinct as well.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Yes but the question is has our cutting down of trees had an impact on the planet? You don't think it has? It's not a question of relatives it's a yes or no thing.

And the planet has not been like THIS for 4 billion years, it hasn't 'endured' meteor strikes, massive volcanic eruptions or total glaciation without massive extinction events the like of which we would want to avoid for obvious reasons.

You can't avoid what nature has in mind for you.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
How long will the earth last for if gradually weather is getting worse?

The weather will get worse and then the weather will get better, and worse, and better, and some species will die out and new species will dominate. It's called evolution and has been happening for billions of years.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
ah, good comparison, because however well intentioned sometimes they get diagnosis and prognosis wrong. some subscribe to different schools of tought, different methods, different objectives and maybe heavily swayed by prevailing paradigms that later prove incorrect.

And heavily swayed by the pharmaceutical companies which tout them to sell their wares.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Anyone that doesn't believe in it is a fool. YOu only have to go to glacias as I have done and seen the year on year regression to understand it. And look what is happening to the Arctic Ice. Nightmare.

The world expert on the Arctic ice said on TV it is a fallacy that it is melting any more than it usually does, within its cycles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here