Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Quarter Final FA Cup Draw...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I can't see it doing us much harm.

Weaker team in draw = no change - both teams play moderately strong sides

Strong team in draw = we go strong for a big payday, Hull probably prioritise Prem and go weaker.

Yes, quite possibly. I just think it's a bit unfair for BOTH teams - even if it does / could benefit us...

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
Anyone know when the draw will be taking place as its normally on itv after the last game but see the last game is on Bt sport. just wondering how they will be working it?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That's true, hard to see any other positive than this.

First time in the quarter final draw since 1986. Would be brilliant to actually make the quarter final for the first time in 28 years.

I could be wrong but I think I remember us being in the quarter final draw when we played Liverpool away two years ago. I seem to remember watching the quarter final draw in the concourse at Anfield before the game.

Agree with the OP. I think there's more chance of Hull playing a strong team if we get a winnable quarter final than if we got one of the big two ties away.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is this definite? If it is then it's a major bonus.

Well they both have played in the competiton for other teams, so pretty much certain, yes.

In the same way Dale Stephens can't play for us.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Looking at the fixtures on Sunday when are they showing the draw, as ITV only have the first game:
13:30 8 Everton VS Swansea City Live on ITV1
15:00 2 Sheffield United VS Nottingham Forest
16:00 3 Arsenal VS Liverpool Live on BT

So are they doing the draw after the Everton game, during the Sheff Utd game and before the Arsenal game? That's even weirder if that's the case.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The fact its on a Monday may mean Hull will play a weakened team anyway with a big game for them at the weekend. With less time to recover they will rest a few no matter what. Also big bonus with Long and Jelevic cup tied

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
The players would want Man City/Chelsea or Arsenal/Liverpool

The fans (surely) would want Sheff Wed/Charlton for maximum chance of Wembley

Looking at the other fixtures, Sunderland/Southampton must be the worst possible draw, along with Everton/Swansea or Forest if they beat Sheff Utd.

I don't know, if I was a player the idea of playing in a final is move of an incentive than playing a round against the top teams as the likelihood is one of them will be there in the final. But we can't speculate, as we're not the players. Saying that, i'd love an away day to Everton.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Looking at the fixtures on Sunday when are they showing the draw, as ITV only have the first game:
13:30 8 Everton VS Swansea City Live on ITV1
15:00 2 Sheffield United VS Nottingham Forest
16:00 3 Arsenal VS Liverpool Live on BT

So are they doing the draw after the Everton game, during the Sheff Utd game and before the Arsenal game? That's even weirder if that's the case.

Answering my own question:

FA Cup Live: Everton v Swansea
ITV +1 London
Sunday 16th February on ITV +1 London from 2:00pm to 4:50pm
Adrian Chiles is joined at Goodison Park by Roy Keane, Lee Dixon and Peter Reid as Everton host Swansea for a place in the last eight of the FA Cup. The match is a chance for Roberto Martinez to show his former club Swansea how far he has come since he managed in South Wales, as he looks to retain the FA Cup he won with Wigan last season. Commentary comes from Sam Matterface and Clarke Carlisle. The draw for the sixth round follows this match.

So the Sheff Utd match may still be going on, and the Arsenal v Liverpool game may not have even reached half time. Bit of a farce in my opinion.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Used to love listening to draw on the radio.

Me too. I remember listening to the 1983 quarter-final draw from the lay-by opposite Arlington reservoir. I kept willing us to be drawn at home but our number came out last, away to Liverpool. I thought that was that then, and we could forget about getting to Wembley.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I could be wrong but I think I remember us being in the quarter final draw when we played Liverpool away two years ago. I seem to remember watching the quarter final draw in the concourse at Anfield before the game.

Agree with the OP. I think there's more chance of Hull playing a strong team if we get a winnable quarter final than if we got one of the big two ties away.

On that occasion we knew we'd got Stoke Away - so at that point I didn't give a sh1t if we progressed or not!

D

Deleted User X18H

That's true, hard to see any other positive than this.

First time in the quarter final draw since 1986. Would be brilliant to actually make the quarter final for the first time in 28 years.
We were in the quarter final draw in 2012.

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Me too. I remember listening to the 1983 quarter-final draw from the lay-by opposite Arlington reservoir. I kept willing us to be drawn at home but our number came out last, away to Liverpool. I thought that was that then, and we could forget about getting to Wembley.

That was 5th round. Quarter final was Norwich at home.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Answering my own question:

FA Cup Live: Everton v Swansea
ITV +1 London
Sunday 16th February on ITV +1 London from 2:00pm to 4:50pm
Adrian Chiles is joined at Goodison Park by Roy Keane, Lee Dixon and Peter Reid as Everton host Swansea for a place in the last eight of the FA Cup. The match is a chance for Roberto Martinez to show his former club Swansea how far he has come since he managed in South Wales, as he looks to retain the FA Cup he won with Wigan last season. Commentary comes from Sam Matterface and Clarke Carlisle. The draw for the sixth round follows this match.

So the Sheff Utd match may still be going on, and the Arsenal v Liverpool game may not have even reached half time. Bit of a farce in my opinion.
But why would you watch it on ITV+1 an hour later than everybody else!? :shrug:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Actually I wouldn't. I really don't think Semi's should be played at Wembley. It should be cup finals only.

I also maintain that the atmosphere at Highbury in 1983 was far better than anything you'd get at Wembley. Would rather they stuck to neutral venues. There are plenty around from Emirates in London to Old Trafford in the North. Villa Park would still do a job.

I know it's driven by money but it's helping kill the romance for me.

Quite agree with this and it's all about more money for The FA Coffers by playing the Semi's at Wembley sadly

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The semis should NEVER have been moved to Wembley. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!

Wait, one game from Wembley?
Beat Hull - Beat ????? and Wembley. Oh YES BRING IT ON.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here