Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Stand Upper - is it just me?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Well, that's great to hear. Maybe they should move the TV gantry to the East then, it'll give a better impression of the stadium. Although, of course there is the rolling advert board now that'll have to move too.

In an ideal world - THIS! It's not just a case of simply moving a gantry though there is all sorts of cabling etc hard wired into the west stand that means that TV companies can literally just come and plug in and they're off and running rather than at other grounds they have to bring all this with them and set up. This was factored in during the stadium build as an attempt to attract more games onto TV and the consequent increased revenue.

Was told this when I had a hard hat tour during the build, and thought at the time all the TV kit should be in the east for the cosmetic purposes that you state.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
WSU is predominately real ale drinking alcoholic bald dwarfs,what else is there for them on a cold Tuesday night in Brighton?:moo:

Father Dougal, the little people near you are dwarfs, the ones in the West Upper are far away.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes I do know that for a fact, as the West Upper, and to a slightly lesser extent the north, largely sold out to people who had the first choice in seats. I remember the club remarking on this at the time. I also remember that, despite having one of the first appointments to choose seats, the first 7 rows of the West Upper had already been sold and people we sat next to at Withdean ended up two blocks further away from the halfway line than us because they choose theirs a day later. Now obviously people were allowed to add extra seats for friends, etc. But the West Upper and North have more former Withdean season ticket holders than other areas of the ground. I'm not saying whether this is a good thing or not, but it is a fact.

Well, like you, l was able to choose my seat very early on in the process to relocate to the Amex, and even in my area of the West Stand Lower, close to the half way line, many seats had already been taken. If what you say is true, and a greater number of seats were sold in the West Upper and North, I can only think that was because the season tickets there are a fair bit cheaper than they are in the centre blocks of the West Lower. I can't think of any other logical reason.

But until or unless you have actually seen the stats, l would stay clear of stating it's a 'fact'.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes they are, and yes there are a higher proportion of Withdean people in the West Upper than anywhere else.

What about the Gillingham people? Where are they?

My guess is that they are south west corner, east central and north side of the west upper.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The really worrying thing is that a couple of matches ago the West Stand centre tier was barely over 50 per cent full. That is, between 40 and 50 per cent of the people who had paid for tickets didn't bother to turn up. The no-show percentage around the ground is already unusually high and it appears to be getting higher.

To an extent this reflects (a) the success of the no-extra-charge direct debit scheme in making the purchase of season tickets as painless as possible and (b) the fact that most season holders don't have a long history of regularly coming to games.

On the other hand it shows a disturbing drift in enthusiasm that might bode ill for future ST and 1901 Club sales.

The club needs to improve the way it communicates with its "account customers" - from where I'm sitting the marketing effort sometimes feels more like a cross between that of a market trader and a primary jumble sale committee.

(Oh, and Yes, there are fewer blue seats visible in WSU than elsewhere in the ground.)

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
When looking at the 27,700 gate, people need to realise that this is made up from 23,000 ST's; 2,000 from Leeds, which leaves only 2,700 specific purchases for the night - not a lot really.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Is it just me, sat as I am in the middle of WSU, or are the other stands at the Amex always less densely populated than the WSU? Obviously I cannot see the WSL, but looking across to the Lower East, the empty seats are noticeable, the Upper East, looks reasonably full, while the North appears to have(disappointing) many empty seats.
What does this say about the stands? Are we in the WSU (as ex-Withdean/Goldstone North Standers) more loyal?
So, tell me (if you are looking from the East/North), is the WSU as densely occupied as it appears?

Like other have said the WSU was the choise of many who have been supporting the Albion a while. Hardly ever seems to be empty seats up there. Really surprised how sparse the North Stand can seem on ceetain games. East Stand always has spare seats, these were the season tickets people had when there were none left apart from the family stand of course.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
What about the Gillingham people? Where are they?

My guess is that they are south west corner, east central and north side of the west upper.

18 Gillingham & north stand Withdean are in the back of central WSL, booked when 0 rows were taken in WSU

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Well, like you, l was able to choose my seat very early on in the process to relocate to the Amex, and even in my area of the West Stand Lower, close to the half way line, many seats had already been taken. If what you say is true, and a greater number of seats were sold in the West Upper and North, I can only think that was because the season tickets there are a fair bit cheaper than they are in the centre blocks of the West Lower. I can't think of any other logical reason.

But until or unless you have actually seen the stats, l would stay clear of stating it's a 'fact'.

Quite a few reasons not ot pick the WSL, the fact that you can buy general sale tickets for here tells its own story. For us it was the following:

1. Didn't want to sit with the steryl bobble hat and flask brigade.
  2. Too many whingers likely to buy tickets there.
  3. Angle of the stand too shallow so viewing not good.
  4. Lower stands don't offer a decent view, they are just close to the action.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I sit in the north and west stand upper always looks packed. Sounds silly but I can't hear them much but on Monday they created a racket (in a good way)

Where I sit in the north I can tell that their is empty seats as most of the people who come along don't own season tickets. South stand looks packed too.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Quite a few reasons not ot pick the WSL, the fact that you can buy general sale tickets for here tells its own story. For us it was the following:

1. Didn't want to sit with the steryl bobble hat and flask brigade.
  2. Too many whingers likely to buy tickets there.
  3. Angle of the stand too shallow so viewing not good.
  4. Lower stands don't offer a decent view, they are just close to the action.

Which one of those points isn't prejudiced or subjective?

Forgetting points 1 and 2 which are presumptive, 3 and 4 are totally down to preference. I sat in the west stand upper for the cup game against Reading instead of the east lower. Personally I found the view up there in the gods to be inferior. However, I think the best view is higher than where I am currently, and is found in the 1901 seats. To high and it's easy to feel detached from the action but too low and as you pointed out, one lacks the ability to see the more tactical nuances of the game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes I think WSU (and a lot of lower - particularly south side) are more densely populated. Always seems that way. Less early leavers in WSU too IMO...

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Yes I think WSU (and a lot of lower - particularly south side) are more densely populated. Always seems that way. Less early leavers in WSU too IMO...

I think this is true too. If they do leave it certainly isn't until after the 90th min. Whereas in the Lower East and North you see people leaving on 80 mins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here