Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dredging would not have stopped massive UK floods - New Scientist

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You mean like the EA creating the new RSPB reserve at Medmerry (nr Selsey) which is going to help alleviate coastal flooding....

Not at all. This project both protects the humans and their homes and creates a new salt marsh for the birds.
Don't think the bird sanctuary in Somerset does that.
By the way,I live in Selsey and I have to tell you there had to be considerable pressure from the locals in the form of S.O.S.(Save Our Selsey) before a satisfactory solution for both humans and wildlife was reached.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
As I recall, and I may be wrong, but isn't pretty much all of the Netherlands below sea level? In which case, if they didn't spend a fortune on their sea/flood defences the country would cease to exist!!

Exactly. They need to spend the money. But they legislate for a one in a 1000 years occurrence, or similar, whereas we might do it for a one in 100 years. I probably have the figures wrong, but people will understand the point.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Out of interest, and genuine question, how much do the Netherlands spend on overseas aid and their armed forces, per head of population compared to us?

Sorry, no idea. I was just quoting this bloke's letter. But yes, it would be interesting to know.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
There is a letter in the Guardian today from a chartered engineer which points out that potential solutions have probably been planned at some point for all the places which are currently in trouble, but they have not been implemented because of cost. The Netherlands spends ten times what we do per head of population on flood/sea defences.

I am not saying we should spend that much more, but it is a perhaps a question of do you spend the money, or do you cope with the consequences.

Yes David it surely is about money, as much is today. Wouldn't it be nice if our politicians looked at the big picture and looked after the homeland a bit more, rather than thanklessly policing the World at HUGE expense.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No SHIT sherlock :facepalm: They could have contacted ME and I could have told them that and all I have is an A level in geography.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Nigel Farage thinks we should stop some of our foreign aid to the poorest in the world to help the middle classes affected by the floods :facepalm:

As one of the richest countries in the world it is our duty for humanity to help the worlds poorest

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Nigel Farage thinks we should stop some of our foreign aid to the poorest in the world to help the middle classes affected by the floods :facepalm:

As one of the richest countries in the world it is our duty for humanity to help the worlds poorest

Benefit street ?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Makes me laugh watching sky news when you see people saying this shouldn't happen again, what do they the government to do, build 20 feet walls all the way round the rivers and outlets.

Nothing will stop this from happening again.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

I think what he was saying is that we stumped up £600million for Syrian refugees recently yet, simultaneously, we cut the flood defence budget by £10m. Then we have a massive downpour, Thames valley gets flooded, and Tory voters have wet Axminster.

As its Farage I will forgive him for his mental, and I mean mental, arithmetic as the man is an idiot. However he can smell disaffected Tory votes in wallingford and watlington so is making a very stupid point to woo some very stupid and selfish people.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here