Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dredging would not have stopped massive UK floods - New Scientist

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I'm surprised the Wellsbourne hasn't surfaced yet?

Can't be too far away - that will cause havoc on the London Road if it does..

I did note the Sussex aquifer bore holes were not full yet according to Sky TV this morning.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I wonder if Cameron and co would have moved the army in if it was Merseyside or Wolverhampton being flooded rather than multi million pound houses in the Thames Valley.

The scousers would LOVE it! They'd be having a 2 minute silence before every game between now and the end of the season. Being flooded would validate their lives for the next 10 years.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
can't believe people are trying to pin the blame for natural disasters on government agencies......mind-boggling...no doubt they'll be after compensation next.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
can't believe people are trying to pin the blame for natural disasters on government agencies......mind-boggling...no doubt they'll be after compensation next.

And no doubt they will be the same people advocating small government, bemoaning the nanny state and preaching personal accountability. A bit like the enormous hypocrite Pickles.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
They do regularly dredge the Adur around the Harbour mouth and around Emerald Quay, probably not possible to get a dredger much further up ?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Not a question of trying to pin the blame for what nature does on anyone - that is completely different than saying we should be prepared for what we can expect nature to throw at us.

I expect the roads to be gritted in icy weather, I expect potholes in the road to be repaired, I expect sea walls to be high enough to hold back the tide, I expect rivers and drainage ditches to be kept clear - and if they aren't then those responsible should expect to be criticised!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not a question of trying to pin the blame for what nature does on anyone - that is completely different than saying we should be prepared for what we can expect nature to throw at us.

I expect the roads to be gritted in icy weather, I expect potholes in the road to be repaired, I expect sea walls to be high enough to hold back the tide, I expect rivers and drainage ditches to be kept clear - and if they aren't then those responsible should expect to be criticised!

gritting roads and mending pot holes is one thing.......holding back the tide and rain is something completely different..!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
gritting roads and mending pot holes is one thing.......holding back the tide and rain is something completely different..!

The point is that gritting roads is taking steps to reduce the consequences of adverse weather in exactly the same way that dredging rivers and clearing ditches is.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The scousers would LOVE it! They'd be having a 2 minute silence before every game between now and the end of the season. Being flooded would validate their lives for the next 10 years.

Had to laugh at that!
Got to say though,that many of the Scousers I have known are some of the funniest people I've ever met.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Is it just me...hopefully it is...who finds it hard to muster sympathy when I see very proper middle class country folk I. Twinset and pearls clutching their pedigree spaniels to their chest and telling us that their Aga is ruined and the gardener had run out of buckets?

I wonder if Cameron and co would have moved the army in if it was Merseyside or Wolverhampton being flooded rather than multi million pound houses in the Thames Valley. Blaming the Environment Agency for this is just a fvcking disgrace.

For crying out loud............give me strength.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There is a letter in the Guardian today from a chartered engineer which points out that potential solutions have probably been planned at some point for all the places which are currently in trouble, but they have not been implemented because of cost. The Netherlands spends ten times what we do per head of population on flood/sea defences.

Out of interest, and genuine question, how much do the Netherlands spend on overseas aid and their armed forces, per head of population compared to us?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The point is that gritting roads is taking steps to reduce the consequences of adverse weather in exactly the same way that dredging rivers and clearing ditches is.

So your the reason my council have been sending £100 000's worth of gritters up my road spreading tonnes of expensive salt on my road when the likely lowest temperature last week was 5C ..........

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Thanks.

And dredging may not have prevented all of the flooding, but it would have been a darn site better. Some of the images of the Levels are truly staggering.

Agreed.
The E.A. certainly have some questions to answer at the appropriate time,about their priorities,because for years now,they have often put fancy wildlife and eye-catching conservation projects ahead of the nitty gritty like dredging and general river maintenance.This hasn't just happened on Lord Smith's watch but for some time before that.
£31 million spent on a bird sanctuary near River Parrett,but no dosh to dredge the damn' river.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This will annoy the sceptics, but global warming may mean we need to get used to this kind of extreme weather.

Nobody could have predicted it this time, but there's no excuse to let it happen again.

Yes this has annoyed me .......

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Agreed.
The E.A. certainly have some questions to answer at the appropriate time,about their priorities,because for years now,they have often put fancy wildlife and eye-catching conservation projects ahead of the nitty gritty like dredging and general river maintenance.This hasn't just happened on Lord Smith's watch but for some time before that.
£31 million spent on a bird sanctuary near River Parrett,but no dosh to dredge the damn' river.

You mean like the EA creating the new RSPB reserve at Medmerry (nr Selsey) which is going to help alleviate coastal flooding....

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
There is a letter in the Guardian today from a chartered engineer which points out that potential solutions have probably been planned at some point for all the places which are currently in trouble, but they have not been implemented because of cost. The Netherlands spends ten times what we do per head of population on flood/sea defences.

I am not saying we should spend that much more, but it is a perhaps a question of do you spend the money, or do you cope with the consequences.

As I recall, and I may be wrong, but isn't pretty much all of the Netherlands below sea level? In which case, if they didn't spend a fortune on their sea/flood defences the country would cease to exist!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here