Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP and our out of contract players

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
One things for sure, the club seem to have a policy of keeping contract lengths fairly secret.

We don't seem to know which players we have options on contract extensions over, and whether options have been exercised until some time after the event.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Oh I thought Crofts was a two year deal when we signed him, must have been three then. Did Dunk sign an extension? I know JFC and Buckley are both on long-term deals but I was sure Dunk was expiring.

Are you sure? As far as I know, his last extension was signed in March 2012, and takes him through until June 2015.

Crofts signed a three year deal when he joined. Come to think of it I think AZ is correct and Dunk is also June 2015. Can't find an article online anywhere about it but I'm sure Dunk agreed a new contract in either September or October.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Crofts signed a three year deal when he joined. Come to think of it I think AZ is correct and Dunk is also June 2015. Can't find an article online anywhere about it but I'm sure Dunk agreed a new contract in either September or October.

You are correct about Crofts.

Through the end of October, a new contract had NOT been registered for Dunk (at the moment, October is the latest FA Player Registrations document available on the FA website). I don't remember seeing anything suggesting he had signed a new deal recently.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I expect Kuszczack to leave, sadly. However I'm sure whoever we replace him with will be good enough, especially if we can free up some wages from players like Ankergren and Brezovan. Someone like Mark Bunn from Norwich would do, sat on the bench and not likely to displace Ruddy and he's a free agent in the summer. Played well when he covered Ruddy last season for 26 games.

Out of Interest where do you think Thomas would go. I am not so sure there would be many takers in the prem. There are a lot of good keepers about. he may just see us as his best bet to get to the premiership.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Bruno will go I suspect he is on a lot which is an expensive luxury for a right back. Hoskins will go along with dunk and Ankergran. Hope we retain Lua Lua and Orlandi but feel we will let PIG go and secure a cheaper championship alternative. Happy to let Lopez go as well as not anywhere near consistent enough

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bruno will go I suspect he is on a lot which is an expensive luxury for a right back. Hoskins will go along with dunk and Ankergran. Hope we retain Lua Lua and Orlandi but feel we will let PIG go and secure a cheaper championship alternative. Happy to let Lopez go as well as not anywhere near consistent enough

Would seem a bit of a waste letting Hoskins go after 18 months getting him fit again.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Would seem a bit of a waste letting Hoskins go after 18 months getting him fit again.

I know what you mean but can see club cutting our losses on a player who will be down the striking pecking order. Personally I like Hoskins as a player and if we can keep him on reasonable wages then he offers something different. Just feel he will want first team football and club may decide too risky to retain

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Out of Interest where do you think Thomas would go. I am not so sure there would be many takers in the prem. There are a lot of good keepers about. he may just see us as his best bet to get to the premiership.
I really don't know mate, it's just he seems quote keen to get back to the PL and I'm sure he'll take whichever route is available, though I don't see him as a first choice keeper in the PL. The standard of keeper in that division is pretty high

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I wonder about Orlandi who IMO is the best player in our squad. He's what, 28/29 now? Could be after one last big pay day, certainly with clubs looking to cut costs in the coming few seasons, I suspect quite a few players will go for broke this summer (i.e. all players, not just our own) as it's possibly the last time they're going to have the upper hand in negotiations. If the likes of Leicester/Forest/QPR/Wigan/Reading/Leeds came in and offered him 10kpw, I don't see how we could compete with that.

I don think people realise how much our players are actually on, let alone the QPRs.

Out wage budget is ~£14milllion which averaged between 25 players is over £10k per week. And that includes quite a few junior players which won't be on that much. It wouldn't surprise me if Orlandi is already on £20k+ Per week

Same principle applies though, Pogrekinak at Reading is on £65k+ per week!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Kuszczak, Brezovan, Ankergren, Bruno, Calderon, Upson, Dunk, Crofts, David Lopez, Orlandi, LuaLua, Hoskins.

Brez/Ankers - Release
Upson/David/Hoskins/Bruno - 1 year
Koosh/Calde/Orlandi - 2 years
LuaLua/Dunk - 3 years+

Those would be my ideal contracts. Upson/David/Hosky IF we stay down, if not all could probably go.
All the others could contribute to a Prem or Championship campaign IMO, especially with someone like LuaLua and that raw talent becoming honed. Also gotta give Dunky a decent deal with OG's prowess with the youngsters.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Kazenga and Kuszczak are the two you'd be most worries about. The others I would be fairly confident of keeping hold of if Oscar wants them all.

i think we could lose both Brezovan and Ankergren and save a lot , get walton in as number 2 . i also think we could say goodbye to David Lopez , Bruno and Calderon also need looking at , are thet value for money ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Blooms gamble is not Premier league at any cost .IMO his gamble is that FFP works and is enforced.

and on the latter part, i reckon he's on a losing hand. the day they said the "fines" for non-compliance would go to charity or whatever, i knew that FFP isnt going to be backed up.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
and on the latter part, i reckon he's on a losing hand. the day they said the "fines" for non-compliance would go to charity or whatever, i knew that FFP isnt going to be backed up.

That isn't what has been said though is it? The Premier League have said that any fines on Premier League clubs may be sent to charity instead, not the clubs remaining in the Championship. I also agree that the FA or the FL won't enforce them well enough though.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I don think people realise how much our players are actually on, let alone the QPRs.

Out wage budget is ~£14milllion which averaged between 25 players is over £10k per week. And that includes quite a few junior players which won't be on that much. It wouldn't surprise me if Orlandi is already on £20k+ Per week

Same principle applies though, Pogrekinak at Reading is on £65k+ per week!

And it never ceases to amaze me how people over-estimate how much we pay. I'm afraid your figures are massively flawed. First of all, we pay more than 25 players in a season. Secondly, that figure includes signing on and agent fees as well as wages. Thirdly, the 14m figure is for ALL staff - 450 P/T staff, 80-100 back office staff, the academy staff, the coaches & manager, the directors as well as the players.

20k a week is 1m a year. You think Orlandi is on 20k? Well if that's true then so are CMS, Ulloa, Greer, Upson, Kuszczak, Crofts and Bruno, AT LEAST. That's another 7 players who are, by your logic, on 1m a year. That's £8m on 8 players. Suddenly 14m doesn't go quite so far to pay the rest does it? Our average was by my maths probably about 5-6k a week. If our TOP earners were on any more than 3x that then I'd be very surprised. Until we see this year's broken down figures its hard to say what the new 21m figure for 2013 involves, but that is when the wages of Upson/Kuszczak/Ulloa/Bruno etc will hit the books, which are probably higher, but still I'd expect none higher than 20k.

Oh, and Pogrebnyak @ Reading (or Zigic @ Brum or various at QPR) are poor examples as those sides have parachute payments and/or what's left of their TV money from last year. It's not comparable. 3 years ago our wage bill was 7m in L1, not 40m+ in the prem like Birmingham.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The general consensus from those ITK on here is that Barnes is on comfortably more money at Burnley than he was here.

I don't know, but I heard the offer was more per week than he was offered at Burnley, it could still be the case that he is on more than he was on if our offer was an improved sum over his last deal, or that he got a lump sum on signing that tipped the balance.

EDIT: a piece in the Argus quoting Barnes on his move: He insisted: “It’s not about money, no chance. The move is about trying to get to the Premier League as quickly as possible. That is why I chose Burnley after speaking to the manager (Sean Dyche) and everything, because there was Leeds and Wolves as well.

“But I’ve made the right decision on footballing reasons, not about money. It’s not about money at all, or I would have stayed at Brighton, but it wasn’t right for me or my family.”

That suggests our offer was better per week.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here