Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP and our out of contract players

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I was listening to the Albion roar podcast on my way to work (very good as always) and the fact players wages could hopefully drop next season due to FFP could it be the reason why no contract has been agreed with Lua Lua and why Barnes left?

No doubt these players expect at the very least the same as what they are on now but if we are to reduce our loses by a further 2 million next year it's clear we are going to have to drop the wages we offer. People like Lua Lua who have had interest from Premiership teams (all be it those jokers from Croydon) will know they can still get good money elsewhere so I would be surprised if he's still here next year. Unless of course we go up!

Anyone know the full list of players who's current contracts end in the summer?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Kuszczak, Brezovan, Ankergren, Bruno, Calderon, Upson, Dunk, Crofts, David Lopez, Orlandi, LuaLua, Hoskins.

It's a lot isn't it.:down:

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Kuszczak, Brezovan, Ankergren, Bruno, Calderon, Upson, Dunk, Crofts, David Lopez, Orlandi, LuaLua, Hoskins.

Kazenga and Kuszczak are the two you'd be most worries about. The others I would be fairly confident of keeping hold of if Oscar wants them all.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure I read last week that we have an option on another year with Kaz, so that just needs to be activated ???

Hope I didn't just dream that.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Blooms gamble is not Premier league at any cost .IMO his gamble is that FFP works and is enforced. This summer he will show his hand and that will take the likes Lua Lua to the brink. I feel it could be quite a messy time ,as contracts will be lower or the same as now !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it could be a couple of years before FFP has an effect on wages, and the teams that stick to FFP from the start will miss out on players initially. I think while, for example, we offer FFP wages to a player this season, another club will offer them more money than us because they either have a bigger budget (e.g. ex-prem team with parachute payments) or they are not convinced FFP will stick so will take the risk that it's a toothless policy this summer and take the attitude that worst case scenario they can't sign a new player but won't need to as they have signed who they want for that position this summer, with the hope of promotion out of the Championship at the end of the season.

Then either FFP is shown to be strong, and over time the teams with the big budgets have their fill, and what's left have to take that pay cut, or FFP will crumble and players will go to clubs who don't care about running the club to its means.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I expect Kuszczack to leave, sadly. However I'm sure whoever we replace him with will be good enough, especially if we can free up some wages from players like Ankergren and Brezovan. Someone like Mark Bunn from Norwich would do, sat on the bench and not likely to displace Ruddy and he's a free agent in the summer. Played well when he covered Ruddy last season for 26 games.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway

Out of those players, I can see one of our reserve keepers being released with Walton stepping up into the senior squad, David Lopez might go after a bit of an uninspiring season and Kaz might go after not being able to agree a deal with the club. One or two of our older defenders might go too but not sure who. It'll either be Calde or Bruno which is very tight call. Bruno is arguably the better player but Calde is an ace human.

The rest are too valuable to the team to release (it's impossible to say what the club think of Hoskins, but the physio will be devastated if he leaves, they must be soul mates by now).

Pure speculation, this.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Kazenga and Kuszczak are the two you'd be most worries about. The others I would be fairly confident of keeping hold of if Oscar wants them all.

I wonder about Orlandi who IMO is the best player in our squad. He's what, 28/29 now? Could be after one last big pay day, certainly with clubs looking to cut costs in the coming few seasons, I suspect quite a few players will go for broke this summer (i.e. all players, not just our own) as it's possibly the last time they're going to have the upper hand in negotiations. If the likes of Leicester/Forest/QPR/Wigan/Reading/Leeds came in and offered him 10kpw, I don't see how we could compete with that.

Dunk has a contract until 2016/7
Crofts is until 2015

Oh I thought Crofts was a two year deal when we signed him, must have been three then. Did Dunk sign an extension? I know JFC and Buckley are both on long-term deals but I was sure Dunk was expiring.

I'm sure I read last week that we have an option on another year with Kaz, so that just needs to be activated ???

Hope I didn't just dream that.

He said it in his interview on the OS. I hope we take it up as my understanding is the option is just an extension on the same terms, so we wouldn't need to negotiate a new deal. I'd be surprised if we let him go, even with his injury worries.

Not bothered about the two back up keepers, Bruno, Calderon, Lopez or Hoskins.

I'd agree if it weren't for the dreaded FFP. Calderon especially is a great option as cover all across the back and is clearly a great influence in the changing room. Ankergren/Brezovan are not good enough to be number 1s in a top 8 Championship club but are perfectly decent no2s, having a better keeper there is a waste of wages. I can see one going and one staying.

IMO Kuszczak, Orlandi & LuaLua deserve two year deals, Upson + 1 of the keepers on rolling 1-year deals. Unless Spanish Dave really kicks on towards the end of the season I'd let him go along with 1 of the keepers and Hoskins. Which leaves Bruno who I'd probably plump for on a 1-year deal, but suspect he'll be too expensive come the summer and will go.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was listening to the Albion roar podcast on my way to work (very good as always) and the fact players wages could hopefully drop next season due to FFP could it be the reason why no contract has been agreed with Lua Lua and why Barnes left?

I believe Barnes is on less at Burnley than he was offered from us for next season, but he gets 3 years at that rate and we only offered one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe Barnes is on less at Burnley than he was offered from us for next season, but he gets 3 years at that rate and we only offered one.
That is understandable if we are working on a plan to reach the Premier in the next couple of seasons why would we want to have him on a contract for 3 year

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Those already in contract won't take much of a drop, but every little helps. The Koosh will be the one toughest to keep as his ambitions perhaps won't match those of a club determined to keep within the financial law above all else. T'will be a shame to see the back of him, but perhaps the thinking is a season or two with someone else halfway between the standard of Koosh and Ankergren and then Walton being possibly one very much coming into the first team toward the end of that little cycle. The Broons i would miss the most if he's had his little adventure and wants to go back to Spain. I know he's not always perfect and his fitness is somewhat in question, but no one carries out the extraordinary like that little hairless genius.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU

The general consensus from those ITK on here is that Barnes is on comfortably more money at Burnley than he was here.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The only person I'm concerned about losing is Tony Bloom, Everyone else is replaceable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here