Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cricket.ECB release Pietersen statement.

Mr Icicle Boots

Apr 12, 2013
North East Aegean.
I think what this all proves is that Pietersen ,as both a cricketer and a person, divides opinion. What worries me most now is that it's very likely we'll be left with the Cook/Giles combo; a captain who so far has lacked any form of imagination on the pitch and a potential coach who has a 1-7 record this winter. As posted above; i'm of the view that the ECB should do all it takes to try and secure Gary Kirsten. Alas after reading his most recent comments all roads lead back to Giles.

Oct 25, 2003
so we'd rather have a team of goody two shoes who are happy to keep plodding along rather than someone with the gonads to actually stand up and say "hang on guys, we're rubbish here"

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
so we'd rather have a team of goody two shoes who are happy to keep plodding along rather than someone with the gonads to actually stand up and say "hang on guys, we're rubbish here"

Yes, it's the same with all our sportsmen, I think you called it on the other thread.

It's exactly the same with football. People liked Michael Owen because he was polite and quiet, but they disliked a ruthless winner like Roy keane. We celebrate a useless trier more than an arrogant winner. In many ways I like that about our culture as opposed to other countries who tend to suck up to and worship their best sportsman whereas we just tell them to stop showing off! It does mean we'll never win anything though, unfortunately :facepalm:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Cook is the captain, Flower was the coach,. Petersen was just another team member who should shut up and do what he was told.

This is a professional sports team not a school sports day, they are allowed to disagree with each other. Think of all the reported fights on football training grounds over the years. It should all stay behind closed doors.
Apparently it was Cook and Prior who instigated the players meeting and KP misinterpreted how far they were willing to go in their criticism of Flower. Whether he was leaking information to morgan is another matter, very silly if true but remember that morgan probably has lots of sources within the media still so if anything is common knowledgs among journalists he's going to know about it.

This, besides, if he is so brilliant, how come he couldn't save us from losing The Ashes over 5 Tests ? Not one match winning or match saving innings out of 12 ? maybe he's not as good as people believe ?

Stretching the truth a bit, he was still mutch better than every other batsman.

He has been very good but he is 33 now and past his peak. He recent performances have been average and uninspiring.

See above, however average he's been he is still better than every other batman. Getting rid of him has made an already brittle middle order MUCH weaker.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think what this all proves is that Pietersen ,as both a cricketer and a person, divides opinion. What worries me most now is that it's very likely we'll be left with the Cook/Giles combo; a captain who so far has lacked any form of imagination on the pitch and a potential coach who has a 1-7 record this winter. As posted above; i'm of the view that the ECB should do all it takes to try and secure Gary Kirsten. Alas after reading his most recent comments all roads lead back to Giles.

It's all a bit worrying. On the one hand you have an arrogant superstar and his journalist mate sniping from the safety of The States. On the other the ECB seems to be reverting to type. Wheelie as coach would be a disaster.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Cook is the captain, Flower was the coach,. Petersen was just another team member who should shut up and do what he was told.

Like everyone else did and we reaped the rewards by losing 5-0

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He has been very good but he is 33 now and past his peak. He recent performances have been average and uninspiring.

I don't think he is past his peak. Look how many runs Gooch scored in his late 30's. He's had ONE poor series, where he still outperformed his colleagues, I don't think that says average an uninspiring. Cook's had TWO poor series in a row, what's his excuse?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't think he is past his peak. Look how many runs Gooch scored in his late 30's. He's had ONE poor series, where he still outperformed his colleagues, I don't think that says average an uninspiring. Cook's had TWO poor series in a row, what's his excuse?

Sadly, probably the captaincy. We're doomed.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Agreed. No way is he past his peak. I really do not care whether he has been sniping or not - if he has it is nothing like as bad as when he was texting the Saffers about Strauss, and he was allowed back from that.

KP divides opinion because he plays the same way, all the time. Very frustrating but also brilliant. He is hailed as a genius in a winning England team, a disruptive influence and not a team player in a losing one. The more I think about it, the more pathetic this decision becomes.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
As someone who knows nothing about cricket , can someone on here please tell me why they don't get Boycott as coach...........as every time I hear him on 5 live he seems to know everything !

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Obviously there are two sides to this and all those from a spectator [outsider] generally agree that what KP delivers with his bat is as good as, if not better, than the rest of the current batting unit.

All of you on here that take that view, just try to imagine something similar in your own environment, perhaps your place of work. Imagine one of your fellow workers, who happens to be pretty good at their job, is always whinging, challenging management, very maverick, wanting to do things their own way and not always doing what's in the best interest of the company. Sent a text to one of your competitors explaining the weaknesses of your manager. I know its difficult, but just try to imagine such a scenario.

Now, when management sack this disruptive co-worker, how do you feel and what do you think the overall impact to your company will be; short, medium and long term?

Sure you've all heard the "There's no I in TEAM" [yes I know there is an M + E].
Other world class players in other sports who think they are bigger than the team have found out that management can't work with such an ego.

I agree that short term, his runs will be missed, but this will create an opportunity for someone, and in the mid to long term, England will be a better team without him - just my opinion.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
The bitter pill of KP's dismissal would be a lot easier to swallow if it was washed down with the removal of Cook, Flowers, Giles, Downton and the rest of the ECB Muppet Show.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The bitter pill of KP's dismissal would be a lot easier to swallow if it was washed down with the removal of Cook, Flowers, Giles, Downton and the rest of the ECB Muppet Show.
Here bloody here.

The ECB said "We have to rebuild", in part justifying Pieterson's removal.

Yes, yes we do. And you can start with Cook being stripped of captaincy and Flower being removed from his position too. As if the manager in any other discipline would be able to retain his job after losing 11 out of 12 matches to the same supposedly inferior opponent.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Here bloody here.

The ECB said "We have to rebuild", in part justifying Pieterson's removal.

Yes, yes we do. And you can start with Cook being stripped of captaincy and Flower being removed from his position too. As if the manager in any other discipline would be able to retain his job after losing 11 out of 12 matches to the same supposedly inferior opponent.

Flower has been sacked. Cook must be on thin ice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here