Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

21.00 Curfew

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just a reminder those enjoying the fine taverns of Brighton post match. Your return rail/match ticket is only valid for travel up until 21.00. This was being stricrtly enforced last night by a 'gang' of no less than six ticket inspectors at Brighton who seemed to be gagging for a fight with anyone wearing a blue and white scarf. A**eholes.

Sorry, can't see your point, is the Amex still open at 9pm on a Saturday after a match ???

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Probably because they'd expect people to walk to Bevendean?

I would be more than happy to walk however it was hammering down with rain, and I pay for the bus as part of the season ticket (despite as you corectly put it being well within walking distance and something I dont always use).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
FWIW - back of a fag packet calculations appear to indicate that the club is paying about 55-60% of the travel cost to and from matches. We pay the rest.

That's an 'all-in' calculation and doesn't count for any difference in circumstance between one fan and another.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Presumably this enforcement is new, as I've travelled home up to and past midnight from games before with nobody declining my ST.

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
I think 21:00 seems fair considering the game finished at 16:50 (ish), that is 4 hours after the game, the travel option is to get you to and from the stadium for the game not to get you home after having a few beers.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
If 9pm is the rule then fair enough, but it's not like people are using their ticket as some kind of rover ticket. Train to Brighton, few beers and then either west or north. I can't see why it matters what time you do the last leg as you're not using any extra trains.

If you were pub crawling up to Haywards Heath and then heading back south, or going into Brighton and then heading west back towards Lewes and beyond, then yes, that's taking the piss a bit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think 21:00 seems fair considering the game finished at 16:50 (ish), that is 4 hours after the game, the travel option is to get you to and from the stadium for the game not to get you home after having a few beers.

It is fair enough if the fans are told.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
all this bitching just goes to show we should get rid of the travel scheme.

I believe they will get rid of the transport scheme eventually, no evidence to back this up but I bet that when it does the price of the ST will not drop by £75 or however much it is! Anyone else notice that after the complaints about the booking fee for tickets being bought were shown in the price, they have now decided not to say how much of next season's ST is for transport? If the price of the ST was broken down it would be difficult for the club to justify stopping it, now all they have to do is say there is no increase in season ticket prices this year but the transport subsidy has been dropped!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We all know you work for the wankers, is it going to affect your bonus/wages in anyway? If you couldn't give a toss, why come on here defending Southern all of the time?

Being a tedious train jobsworth gives him another string to his bow alongside those oh so hilarious misspelled spoof posts and the even funnier homoerotic one liners.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I,m waiting for the mob of 7 or 8 who don't read NSC arriving at Brighton station to catch the 9.05 after an excellent early evening session.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just seems to me that the clubs damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. If it does offer a subsidy a proportion of fans will be all "Oh my god I have to pay twice" (not including you in this Pastafarian!), if they don't offer it then there will be people upset about it being withdrawn. What's the solution?!?!

I am not having a pop at the club, it is the train operator that is enforcing a part of the conditions that most were unaware of and it's penny pinching.
I don't think the club subsidises (pays more than they collect) the cost of travel , they have done a deal for x amount of pounds to Train company and Y amount to bus company per match ticket sold. It is more than the cost of a ticket from the nearer stops like Brighton or Lewes, but less than the fare from Haywards Heath or Worthing. The transport companies make money over the normal fare on the shortest journeys and lose on the longer ones, it should average out. But they also get paid for all the non attendees, the walkers, the bikers and drivers, and don't have to worry about fare dodgers. We all know there are 2 or 3 thousand that don't turn up to some midweek games, but I believe they still get the transport money for each ticket sold.

I can't see why it has to have a 9pm cut off, even if someone from Lewes has come into Brighton after for a couple of beers with a mate from Worthing and wants to go back again, would they really be losing money on the deal?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
FWIW - back of a fag packet calculations appear to indicate that the club is paying about 55-60% of the travel cost to and from matches. We pay the rest.

That's an 'all-in' calculation and doesn't count for any difference in circumstance between one fan and another.
How have you worked that out?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can't see why it has to have a 9pm cut off, even if someone from Lewes has come into Brighton after for a couple of beers with a mate from Worthing and wants to go back again, would they really be losing money on the deal?

I have a different opinion I cannot see why somebody from Lewes would expect "free" travel between Falmer and Brighton when they live in Lewes. The club are subsiding travel to and from the Amex not to and from your night out down the pub.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I went to the Albert after the match, then was let back through the barriers at about ten or eleven ish to go back to Portslade. No worries at all.

I have also used it to get on the 1A at 8am on the day of an evening match.

Didn't even realise there were restrictions...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When I buy a ticket to London that has travel restrictions on it ( based on times of travel ) I don't complain bitterly when it's enforced. I'm not sure why anyone would complain when the conditions of the Albion travel scheme are enforced ?

Like others, I strongly believe we aren't far away from the travel schemes being scrapped anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When I buy a ticket to London that has travel restrictions on it ( based on times of travel ) I don't complain bitterly when it's enforced. I'm not sure why anyone would complain when the conditions of the Albion travel scheme are enforced ?

Like others, I strongly believe we aren't far away from the travel schemes being scrapped anyway.

That's not the point of the thread. We all knew there were starting restrictions at 11.30 or 12 for Saturday games, but it seems there is an end restriction that nobody knew about.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I've got the number 7 bus from the city centre back to Hove late after a few beers and no bus driver has even said no. If they did I wouldn't argue and I've always thought I was pushing my luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here